Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

I walked to the store a few minutes ago and walked through a few gusts that lasted about a minute each that were almost as powerful as the "unofficial" Tornado winds that went through the city a few months ago. It has been a long time since there have been wind gusts like this in the Winter while snow has been falling in these parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
It's nasty out there. I made the mistake of not wearing a jacket to class today. When I left it was 50 degrees out. When I got on the train to go home I was still fine. By the time I got off that train, the temperature must have dropped about 863 degrees. That was one friggin' miserable walk home from the station. The temperature has dropped over 40 degrees in just a few hours.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's nasty out there. I made the mistake of not wearing a jacket to class today. When I left it was 50 degrees out. When I got on the train to go home I was still fine. By the time I got off that train, the temperature must have dropped about 863 degrees. That was one friggin' miserable walk home from the station. The temperature has dropped over 40 degrees in just a few hours.
It doesnt happen often, but when it does it is a shock and can be very uncomfortable. I think most people today didnt believe the weather forecast. (Which I dont blame them since it is wrong half the time) I had a guy at work around 6pm scoffing at the forecast hes like "its still about 40 where is all this winter storm?"

I pay attention to nationwide and regional weather patterns way more often than when I was younger. I try to always stay on the safe side. Today, I didnt bring my winter jacket to work(I gambled it wouldnt get bad until after 7pm), but I got home early enough to avoid the cold, snow and wind. I took a chance and got really lucky. Although I still had to go out in it to the store a couple hours later.

No jacket! That must have been hell.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM

Yeah, I'm a very well-insulated dude so I can tolerate some pretty cold temperatures without a lot of bundling up. But it doesn't matter how big you are when it's cold AND windy -- it stings your skin just the same whether you're plump or skinny.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, I'm a very well-insulated dude so I can tolerate some pretty cold temperatures without a lot of bundling up. But it doesn't matter how big you are when it's cold AND windy -- it stings your skin just the same whether you're plump or skinny.
I have a few extra pounds myself that I did not have a few years ago and the cold hits me harder now than it did then.

I think as we get older the cold hits us harder. I think the leg area usually is the part of the body that is most vulnerable to the cold, because it is often overlooked when preparing for this stuff.

Wind and cold like this will go right through jeans even.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:39 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Yeah, I wore a skirt today. I don't want to talk about my walk home from the 'el'.

However, I did have enough sense to have a jacket with me

... that being said, I'm still waiting on an epic blizzard on par with '79, which I barely remember as a very young child (in which I stepped into a snow bank that reached to my kid-sized neck).

Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Yeah, I wore a skirt today. I don't want to talk about my walk home from the 'el'.

However, I did have enough sense to have a jacket with me

... that being said, I'm still waiting on an epic blizzard on par with '79, which I barely remember as a very young child (in which I stepped into a snow bank that reached to my kid-sized neck).
That one in 99 was pretty harsh in a shorter period of time than the one in 79. It was actually worse in many ways. It just so happened to have started on New Years Eve, so its impact was not as epic!

But the drifts and length of the snowfall were very very bad in 79 which I remember a bit of...

You should have called me I could have scooped you up and driven you home maybe.:-)

Did you have a long skirt on or a short one? lol jk I wont ask for details. I bet it was tough.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-30-2008 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
What a wacky weather day! I drive to work so was able to take two types of jackets. Lighter winter jacket for the 1st part of the day and then a wool jacket for later. My husband takes the subway to work and opted to be overly dressed in his down jacket this morning, but was comfy and warm this evening. The wind is wild! Looking at the snow blow around outside is quite a sight. I'm counting down to mid March...we have 2 plane tickets to Mexico with our names on them.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 PM

heh, I remember the Blizzard of '79. For entertainment we climbed up onto the roof of our house (a one-story ranch) and jumped into the snow drifts below.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 PM

302 posts, read 922,175 times
All I know, is when I walked to the train this evening to go to class, it was ok, rainy, but ok. I got out of class, the temperature had dropped, but it was still clear. I walked into H&M, bought two skirts, and by the time I walked out 30 minutes later, there's snow everywhere, and the wind has gone nuts. Not the most pleasant second day of class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago