Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,667,680 times

Advertisements

Here we go:

Race Matters - Segregation is Up for U.S. Children

And here's the money quote:

"Of the top 50 metropolitan areas, the 10 most segregated, by neighborhood, for black and white children were, in order: Detroit, Milwaukee, New York, Newark, Chicago, Cleveland, Miami, Cincinnati, Birmingham, Ala., and St. Louis. The segregation index ratings ranged from 86 in Detroit to 77 in St. Louis.
The 10 least segregated areas for black and white youths were, in order: Riverside-San Bernardino, Calif.; Norfolk, Va.; Charleston, S.C.; Augusta, Ga.; Greenville, S.C.; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Columbia, S.C.; San Diego, and Sacramento. The segregation ratings ranged from Riverside's 47 to Sacramento's 58."

Although if you look at my first link, these "segregation index" ratings are largely B.S. anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,333,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm tired of everyone re-hashing the faulty idea that Chicago is the most segregated city in the U.S. It's not. The major study done on this (I can't remember who did it, but I will try to find it) utilized something called a "segregation index", and Chicago was definitely in the top 5, but was not the national leader. And shining New York was also in the top 5!

In terms of diversity, Chicago is every bit as diverse as New York. Just look at the darn Census Data.
There's no convincing most people. Being from the South I have to constantly hear people harangue my homestate and, by extension, my friends and family for being racist segregationists. You'll note that 6-7 of the cities listed as being "least segregated" are decidedly Southern. (I say 6-7 because people question Florida's inclusion in the "South". I'd say Jacksonville definitely makes the cut. )

Old 01-30-2008, 12:59 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,544,397 times
I don't know if this is a the right thing or what you were looking for, but in my research of Chicago and other big cities, the ethic neighborhoods started long ago when the city was born. It just either stayed that way or changed to other enthnicities. It's just how it was. I think it is less now than before but I'm no expert. I actually like goin into European ethnic neighborhoods and such because I see their different personalities. they usually just like to stick with their family roots and that's it. My older family generation is the same way, though the offspring like me don't hold it with such power.

Chao!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:59 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,134,892 times
Chicago has a long history of residential segregation. Some of the reasons that situation persists is seen in the attitudes of the posters who state they would never go to some areas because they are too dangerous, while never having been in those areas. I have real issues with real estate guides and business guides I have seen as to Chicago: They write off large swaths of the city on no evidence.

Folks like to remain around the particular interests that draw them; like houses of worship, family and restaurants. It happens in all ethnic groups. Further, if you live in the Bronx (like I did) why even go to Brooklyn? Everything there is also in the Bronx. Its the same thing with Chicago where there is real ignorance by folks about different parts of the city which are less well traveled.

Because of the rumors concerning neighborhoods in Chicago, it is hard to get new residents to break up the patterns of residential enclaves. So historical residential situations stay that way. But, to be specific, Chicago is de-segregated as to residences and well-integrated socially.

Whether or not there is racial tension is another issue entirely. I haven't seen many ethnic protest marches lately.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Chicago has a long history of residential segregation.
And to be clear, this is the only thing that the "segregation index" measures. It looks at different census tracts and mathematically determines how "mixed up" they are. So if you had a four-person white family in every other house and a black four-person family in the houses between, you would have a perfectly non-segregated area. However, the index is biased against cities with large minority populations. If there are only two black families in a city and they don't live next to each other, the city is determined to be "not segregated" by this index. That's kind of ridiculous.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:31 PM

54 posts, read 200,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
it's a very complicated subject, and EVERYONE has a different view.

Chicago is so segregated between white/hispanic/black that you really don't get a whole lot of interaction between the races. For this reason, you won't see a lot of OUTRIGHT racism in the city, cause the groups just really don't mix except downtown - which is normally crowded and safe. From what I see - the whites don't really care what the blacks/hispanics are doing in their neighborhood, and visa versa. Of course you get boundry areas where people complain about "crime spilling over" and whatnot. That's usually just hidden racist banter.

I found racism to be worse and more in your face down south.
I've definitely gotten the mean mugging in Norwood Park, Mt. Greenwood, and Lakeview. As I was driving through the Burger King with my dad in Mt. greenwood, some little boy (couldn't have been no older than 13) damn near broke his neck staring us down from inside the dine in section. I'm thinking damn yes, I'm black...hi, how can I help you?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspetite View Post
I've definitely gotten the mean mugging in Norwood Park, Mt. Greenwood, and Lakeview. As I was driving through the Burger King with my dad in Mt. greenwood, some little boy (couldn't have been no older than 13) damn near broke his neck staring us down from inside the dine in section. I'm thinking damn yes, I'm black...hi, how can I help you?
You didn't have something hanging out of your nose or something? Or a funny t-shirt on?

Staring isn't always racism. I had an African-American guy yell at me once for staring at him, and he honestly just looked like someone I went to high school with and I was just trying to tell if this was the case. I explained that to him, and he apologized.

I'm not trying to downplay racism--which I know is very real and horrible, but Lakeview doesn't strike me as a hotbed for racists.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You didn't have something hanging out of your nose or something? Or a funny t-shirt on?

Staring isn't always racism. I had an African-American guy yell at me once for staring at him, and he honestly just looked like someone I went to high school with and I was just trying to tell if this was the case. I explained that to him, and he apologized.

I'm not trying to downplay racism--which I know is very real and horrible, but Lakeview doesn't strike me as a hotbed for racists.

In this context it is though. Something out of my nose and a funny t shirt on week after week? Nah. I doubt I looked familiar to that many people.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM

904 posts, read 2,865,462 times
I find this whole "segregation" thing to be sort of ridiculous. As a native New Yorker, I can tell you, firsthand, New York is very segregated. But every single major American city is segregated. Every single one. I don't need to see the segregation index to tell you that, it's the plain truth. People like to live with people who are like them, ergo, segregation. Racism surely plays some role, and, yes, some places are more segregated than others, but the differences are not particularly noticeable. People of different races, ethnicities and socioeconomic backgrounds live together in certain areas. They will continue to do so. That's it.

I think what makes a city like New York seem not segregated is the way the city works. While people live in different neighborhoods, everyone takes the subway, many people work in Manhattan, often times you'll have to go to a different kind of neighborhood for some reason or other. I think you could say the same thing, albeit to a lesser degree, about Chicago. That's why, for my money, LA is the most segregated American city. All places are segregated, but in LA, the rich people get into their cars and go to the other areas with rich people, never even standing next to someone of a different race or economic class.

To repeat: everywhere is segregated. But certain things - namely, public transportation and an important urban core - create a situation in which different kinds of people are forced to mingle in certain capacities.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I find this whole "segregation" thing to be sort of ridiculous. As a native New Yorker, I can tell you, firsthand, New York is very segregated. But every single major American city is segregated. Every single one. I don't need to see the segregation index to tell you that, it's the plain truth. People like to live with people who are like them, ergo, segregation. Racism surely plays some role, and, yes, some places are more segregated than others, but the differences are not particularly noticeable. People of different races, ethnicities and socioeconomic backgrounds live together in certain areas. They will continue to do so. That's it.

I think what makes a city like New York seem not segregated is the way the city works. While people live in different neighborhoods, everyone takes the subway, many people work in Manhattan, often times you'll have to go to a different kind of neighborhood for some reason or other. I think you could say the same thing, albeit to a lesser degree, about Chicago. That's why, for my money, LA is the most segregated American city. All places are segregated, but in LA, the rich people get into their cars and go to the other areas with rich people, never even standing next to someone of a different race or economic class.

To repeat: everywhere is segregated. But certain things - namely, public transportation and an important urban core - create a situation in which different kinds of people are forced to mingle in certain capacities.

LOL. Is your other screen name Gtownoe? I guess you have a different definition of what segregation is. I've been to LA a few times and I might be wrong (doubt it) but it was not on the same level of Chicago. There were way more mixed neighborhoods. I even went through some black neighborhoods a few times and the mixed neighborhoods weren't miles and miles away like here (or few and far between like here). The ethnic neighborhoods were a lot closer together...... so how was it segregated to you? Segregation it iself is about extremities not just 3 or 4 streets of (insert race/ethnicity here).

Last edited by misspetite; 01-30-2008 at 07:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago