Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: on the whole, Illinois's inclusion of Chicago is ___ for the state.
good 31 77.50%
bad 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:41 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
This is an absurd notion. Chicago would be no better received in Wisconsin than it is Illinois.
I was referring to ORIGINALLY... SHEEEESH. The Northern parts of Illinois was to originally NOT BE with Illinois. Some change put it there. Just as I said.... Given the DISCONNECT with Southern Illinois Chicago has and LACK OF RESPECT TO AFFILIATION AND PRIDE TO HAVE CHICAGO IN THEIR STATE AS A GLOBAL STATUS CITY.... My intent was as Chicagoans have Wisconsin as its playground and know it better then most of its own State..... It SHOULD HAVE BEEN AS ORIGINALLY.... Probably What was or became Wisconsin.... surely NOT WORST OFF. A change today...... of course not.

I don't think any other major city has such a disconnect and ESPECIALLY Lack of respect and Pride in it in their State.... from those in Southern Illinois. Every state has Rural areas much different then their city's. But not loathing and dislike and blame on such a it seems from Downstate. I know it isn't in my state toward its major cities.

Last edited by steeps; 10-07-2015 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:44 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I was referring to ORIGINALLY... SHEEEESH. The Northern parts of Illinois was to originally NOT BE with Illinois. Some change put it there. Just as I said.... Given the DISCONNECT with Southern Illinois Chicago has and LACK OF RESPECT TO AFFILIATION AND PRIDE TO HAVE CHICAGO IN THEIR STATE AS A GLOBAL STATUS CITY.... My intent was as Chicagoans have Wisconsin as its playground and know it better then most of its own State..... It SHOULD HAVE BEEN AS ORIGINALLY.... Probably What was or became Wisconsin.... surely NOT WORST OFF. A change today...... of course not.
The point is that you would have the exact same rural-urban disconnect, just in a different state. Northern Wisconsin would be to Chicago as Southern Illinois is to Chicago. N. WI is virtually just as disconnected from Chicago and gravitates more to the Twin Cities as S. IL is disconnected from Chicago and gravitates towards StL.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:48 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
The poll might have different results in the Illinois forum.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:58 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The point is that you would have the exact same rural-urban disconnect, just in a different state. Northern Wisconsin would be to Chicago as Southern Illinois is to Chicago. N. WI is virtually just as disconnected from Chicago and gravitates more to the Twin Cities as S. IL is disconnected from Chicago and gravitates towards StL.
You can win.... no one knows how different a Chicago, Wisconsin... might have been if it stayed as the original borders were to be..... but Chicagoans DO CONNECT MORE WITH WISCONSIN TODAY.... that I do stand by....

Old 10-08-2015, 09:17 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
How is this even a question? Of course Illinois benefits from the presence of Chicago. Even if you hate it, it brings jobs and money to the whole state. It's an enormous economic engine.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
I would say neither. Downstate Illinois seems no different, neither better nor worse than Indiana or Iowa.

(the poster who compared Illinois without Chicago as being Ohio is completely inaccurate, because Ohio has almost just as large of a metropolitan population as Illinois but spread out between several cities).

Old 10-09-2015, 09:15 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
I also do wish that the original boundaries stayed the same. Then the best nature and outdoors within a days drive would be in the same state as Chicago, and we would have the same license plates. It would be kind of like NYC and upstate New York.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:06 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I also do wish that the original boundaries stayed the same. Then the best nature and outdoors within a days drive would be in the same state as Chicago, and we would have the same license plates. It would be kind of like NYC and upstate New York.
I agree. And I would have the added bonus of not being a FIB to my in laws.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I agree. And I would have the added bonus of not being a FIB to my in laws.
Well, seeing as it's those from Chicago that cause the FIB moniker, I'm sure there'd just be another name given to those from Chicago and its suburbs to express the disdain people from Wisconsin have for them.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:35 AM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
What's a FIB?

Just found out, it stands for Fvcking Illinois Basterds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago