Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:33 PM

114 posts, read 134,884 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Chicago but can definitely give insight to what outsiders think about the city. While there are those that see Chicago as a cool city, there are others that see it as "Chiraq", a place of gangbangers and "savages", based on popular portrayals from music and social media.

I find the current reputation of the place paralleling how Compton got its reputation from the 90's. Drill artists from Chicago are basically the new generation of gangsta rappers, albeit their talent is debatable, portraying the Southside as a warzone with nothing but violence, similar to how NWA portrayed their city. .

Cultural appropriation has been happening outside Chicago quite a lot. The slang and gang lingos have been picked up by young blacks from across America, and hood music videos have adopted a lot of what they do drill music, giving the impression that they want to be as rough as Chicago gang members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 03:00 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
It will only get worse -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiraq_(film)

Old 10-07-2015, 03:19 PM

114 posts, read 134,884 times
Yup, read about that. Spike Lee is directing it

Old 10-07-2015, 03:35 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
Yea, it's a sad reality. What you said is how I see it as well, and I'm a resident of the city. There are swaths of empty land on the West Side and the South Side isn't anymore prettier alongside I-90/94. Something isn't right in neighborhoods like Englewood.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:32 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
You know, every time I go to Cook County Court, whether felony or misdemeanor (and lately as neither the defendant or victim), I look around, and I am by far, the only White guy there.

Fast back to 1910, where Chicago was like, 90% White?

Now we know what caused the economy to be so bad. I mean, all the judge salaries, prosecutor salaries, and police officer and detective salaries. What pays them? All the money is from taxes. A [bleep] of taxes goes straight into the legal system.

I'd like to see a % increase/decrease in courtroom from then and now. How does the population of CPD to the city compare to say, in 1900, to today.

Back in the 1900s, we had money to build new CTA rails. I don't think we even come close to it today!

CPD really needs to work on getting Blacks/Hispanic to be like Whites in terms of the prison and county population.

And drugs are only 1/3rd the problem. Anita Alvarez recently came with an announcement that 1/3rd of all felony cases in Cook County are for drug possession, so if we get read of all that, that's only 1/3rd the courtroom taken out.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-08-2015 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Circumventing language filter.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:48 PM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
You know, every time I go to Cook County Court, whether felony or misdemeanor (and lately as neither the defendant or victim), I look around, and I am by far, the only White guy there.

Now we know what caused the economy to be so bad. I mean, all the judge salaries, prosecutor salaries, and police officer and detective salaries. What pays them? All the money is from taxes. A $hitload of taxes goes straight into the legal system.

I'd like to see a % increase/decrease in courtroom from then and now. How does the population of CPD to the city compare to say, in 1900, to today.

Back in the 1900s, we had money to build new CTA rails. I don't think we even come close to it today!

CPD really needs to work on getting Blacks/Hispanic to be like Whites in terms of the prison and county population.

And drugs are only 1/3rd the problem. Anita Alvarez recently came with an announcement that 1/3rd of all felony cases in Cook County are for drug possession, so if we get read of all that, that's only 1/3rd the courtroom taken out.
You're white? I thought you were hispanic.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:59 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Half White and half Chinese.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:09 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Better tell Leroy Brown.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:03 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post

Interesting map here, how things have changed! >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Better tell Leroy Brown.
meh, he's the baddest man in the whole damn town and meaner than a junkyard dog, so he'll be fine...

Old 10-07-2015, 06:56 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Yeah, I agree. The "weekend" numbers of shootings and killings that seem to make the national news weekly, especially during the summer, have already put Chicago's reputation as a war zone in people's minds.

When the well-hyped Spike film "Chiraq" hits theaters, that will likely cement Chicago's violent image in many people's minds with all of the media attention it will receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: