Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:51 AM

347 posts, read 521,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't disagree with you. Re-read what I wrote. I was just pointing out how the movie is different than "do the right thing." Nowhere did I say the title wasn't warranted.
Fair enough. My bad. However, while my post may not apply to you, it applies to others who constantly want to spin reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 09:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
It's a very pro-crime city where law-abiding residents have virtually no recourse to local terrorists, and police response times are abysmal in the rougher neighborhoods. Nothing will change after the movie.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:55 AM

773 posts, read 786,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that Chicago has the reputation of being a warzone because it really is...at least 2/3rds of the city is, with the "nice" neighborhoods beginning to suffer serious crime problems as well?
And is that first hand knowledge gained from living in Chicago, or something you read?

Old 10-11-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
I know you're another one of those people who has moved to a really boring suburb and have to justify it to yourself by telling everyone how bad places like Chicago are, but this is ridiculous.

For the vast majority of people in Chicago, the city is very safe. The city does have a problem with gun violence, everyone knows that. Crime is not getting worse in the "nice" neighborhoods. On the contrary, crime has been dropping in every neighborhood, including the bad ones, since the 90s. I know you think the stats are being doctored, but do you seriously believe that every police force in the world has been steadily doctoring crime stats each year for the past 20 years? Do you have any actual evidence that crime is higher now?

A video of some idiots shooting at each other outside a dodgy night club doesn't prove anything aside from the fact that idiots get into fights outside dodgy nightclubs, as they have always done in all parts of the world, and it's a good idea to give them a wide berth.
Tell the people in Lakeview and Uptown that crime is down. You might as well tell them that their neighborhoods are fully staffed with police. Do you ever spend time on the crimeinwrigleyville blog? It's been a documented fact that crime stats have been doctored. Did you read Chicago Magazine's articles on this? They had a lot of evidence. Do you just reject facts because they refute your preferred narrative? By the way, shootings are definitely up from last year. Don't know about homicides.

By the way, I moved from Chicago to the Northwest, so that's another thing you're wrong about. I'll enjoy my clean air and snow covered peaks while you can worry about being mugged and shot to death. Here there's a better chance that a grizzly bear will kill you than a thug. I'd rather deal with that risk.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:06 AM

577 posts, read 669,686 times
No, I don't spend time on a blog which reports on every violent crime that happens in the 3rd biggest city in America. What's the point? You might as well read a blog which reports on the thousands of people who die of cancer every day, worrying yourself into a state of paranoia that YOU COULD BE NEXT.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:08 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't disagree with you. Re-read what I wrote. I was just pointing out how the movie is different than "do the right thing." Nowhere did I say the title wasn't warranted.
But the movie isn't different than "Do the Right Thing". It's more or less the same thing.

And a city doesn't have a reputation based on a movie title. It isn't like when Spike Lee released "Crooklyn" that people suddenly had a different impression of Brooklyn.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
And is that first hand knowledge gained from living in Chicago, or something you read?
Both..... and what I read has plenty of evidence to back it up. Are you saying that just because I read something, it must be false? That's a huge fallacy! I lived in Chicago on and off for 18 years.....and I was the victim of crime more than once.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
No, I don't spend time on a blog which reports on every violent crime that happens in the 3rd biggest city in America. What's the point? You might as well read a blog which reports on the thousands of people who die of cancer every day, worrying yourself into a state of paranoia that YOU COULD BE NEXT.
Wrong again. You're really digging yourself into a hole here and revealing your ignorance. You might as well tap out now. The blog doesn't report on every violent crime that happens in Chicago. Nice straw man fallacy there. The blog reports on the increasing number of violent crimes in the Lakeview, wrigleyville, boystown areas. These areas have been considered to be the safer neighborhoods in Chicago. Not so much anymore. Because most of the police presence has been shifted to south and west side neighborhoods, the thugs know that the people in the North Side neighborhoods are vulnerable because of lack of police presence....and so there has been an increase in violent crime in these neighborhoods. Again, go tell the people in Lakeview that crime is down. See how that works out for you. LOL!

Has it ever occurred to you that it's good to stay aware so I'm not next? Leftists tend to label us conspiracy theorists, but it's really just being prepared. I carry my little friend, which is a 38 revolver, so that decreases the chances that I'm next. Thankfully, I live in a gun friendly state where it's easy to do that. And what's wrong with being aware of the threat of cancer? Being aware of this threat can inspire us to live a healthier lifestyle, which will increase our chances of living longer and not getting cancer.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:05 AM

577 posts, read 669,686 times
So, it "only" reports on an area that has close to 100,000 people. That blog has 100 robberies reported for 2015. The neighborhood has close to 200 per year, which is actually more than the blog which you think is speaking the "truth" about how many crimes there are. So I have a 0.2% chance of being robbed per year, 0.03% chance of being assaulted with a weapon, and a 0.001% chance of being a homicide victim, statistically. I think I'll take my chances!

Meanwhile, by carrying a gun you've increased your chances of being shot by 4 times. So good luck with that!

There's nothing wrong with being aware of the threat of cancer, but reading about how many people are dying every day isn't really helping is it? 60% of cancer deaths are unavoidable anyway. Also, I already know there is crime in the world, finding out that a woman was robbed last night isn't helping me at all.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:12 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Since it is a remake of Lysistrata, maybe Spike is suggesting that the women of the war zone actually withhold sex from their men until the men stop shooting up the neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago