Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:55 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times

Advertisements

Don't hold your breath on that one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 01:59 PM

347 posts, read 521,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
So, it "only" reports on an area that has close to 100,000 people. That blog has 100 robberies reported for 2015. The neighborhood has close to 200 per year, which is actually more than the blog which you think is speaking the "truth" about how many crimes there are. So I have a 0.2% chance of being robbed per year, 0.03% chance of being assaulted with a weapon, and a 0.001% chance of being a homicide victim, statistically. I think I'll take my chances!

Meanwhile, by carrying a gun you've increased your chances of being shot by 4 times. So good luck with that!

There's nothing wrong with being aware of the threat of cancer, but reading about how many people are dying every day isn't really helping is it? 60% of cancer deaths are unavoidable anyway. Also, I already know there is crime in the world, finding out that a woman was robbed last night isn't helping me at all.
Have you been watching the news? Are you aware of the string of robberies going on there? It's not just CWB reporting it. If you're denying that crime is becoming a problem along with lack of police in that neighborhood and crime increasing because of it, I don't know what to tell you. Feel free to keep quoting doctored stats. Reality paints a different picture. Also, please be aware that a lot of crimes go unreported

As for carrying a gun, it's not a guarantee against beating the bad guys, but it at least gives me a fighting chance. Go ahead and take the liberal mentality by just being a victim to the bad guys. Besides,Chicago's gun laws are really decreasing violence, eh? LOL!

By the way, having a gun in this situation kind of helped, didn't it?

Fearless Waffle House Customer Shoots Thief During Attempted Robbery - Eater

Old 10-11-2015, 02:42 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that Chicago has the reputation of being a warzone because it really is...at least 2/3rds of the city is, with the "nice" neighborhoods beginning to suffer serious crime problems as well? Are you aware that according to a new study, the garfield park neighborhood is more dangerous to live in than Honduras?

Check out this video of a shooting in Lincoln Park! Nothing happens there, right?
What happened there? I watched the video and there are shots but it just doesn't become clear what happened. Did anyone get hurt?

Quote:
"Chriraq" reflects the current reality of Chicago.
I fully agree. But it isn't just Chicago, all large American cities and many smaller ones suffer from the same problems.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:49 PM

577 posts, read 669,745 times
Quote:
Have you been watching the news? Are you aware of the string of robberies going on there? It's not just CWB reporting it. If you're denying that crime is becoming a problem along with lack of police in that neighborhood and crime increasing because of it, I don't know what to tell you. Feel free to keep quoting doctored stats. Reality paints a different picture. Also, please be aware that a lot of crimes go unreported

As for carrying a gun, it's not a guarantee against beating the bad guys, but it at least gives me a fighting chance. Go ahead and take the liberal mentality by just being a victim to the bad guys. Besides,Chicago's gun laws are really decreasing violence, eh? LOL!

Or alternatively they could have just given the thief what they wanted instead of putting people's lives at risk by shooting them. I can post several examples of a "hero" using a gun to try and shoot a "bad guy", and ending up with one or more people dead. So no, the gun didn't help, unless you can prove that the thief was going to shoot anyone at waffle house, which you can't. That's why people with guns have a much higher chance of being shot, because they escalate situations which could be settled without violence.

I'm not using doctored stats, unless you can provide examples of more than the 189 robberies recorded for the past year in Lake View. Obviously if you're constantly looking at crime reports it's going to seem like they're happening all the time. Although why you do that is beyond me, other than to maybe reinforce your decision to move somewhere "safer".

Yes, some crimes go unreported. Including where you live, and everywhere else in the world. If you're going to deprive yourself of living in a really great city because of the tiny chance that you might be a crime victim, all I can really do is shake my head.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:54 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:

Did you actually read the article? It also mentioned that another Waffle House employee shot and killed a customer (not a robber) simply for acting "unruly." A gun surely didn't help in THAT situation, did it?

Old 10-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
Or alternatively they could have just given the thief what they wanted instead of putting people's lives at risk by shooting them. I can post several examples of a "hero" using a gun to try and shoot a "bad guy", and ending up with one or more people dead. So no, the gun didn't help, unless you can prove that the thief was going to shoot anyone at waffle house, which you can't. That's why people with guns have a much higher chance of being shot, because they escalate situations which could be settled without violence.

I'm not using doctored stats, unless you can provide examples of more than the 189 robberies recorded for the past year in Lake View. Obviously if you're constantly looking at crime reports it's going to seem like they're happening all the time. Although why you do that is beyond me, other than to maybe reinforce your decision to move somewhere "safer".

Yes, some crimes go unreported. Including where you live, and everywhere else in the world. If you're going to deprive yourself of living in a really great city because of the tiny chance that you might be a crime victim, all I can really do is shake my head.
As I've said on this forum before, owning and using a firerarm is a huge responsibility. Just because some people use it irresponsibly doesn't mean ALL use it irresponsibly. When I carry, I go out of my way to be responsible and law abiding. Why do you want people like me to be punished for the actions of others? And you don't know what criminals will do. As I said earlier, a gun isn't a guarantee, but it gives me a fighting chance. How typically liberal of you to advocate just caving in to criminals and being weak before them. Let me guess. You believe criminals are really the victims, right?

As for your crime stats, I'm skeptical of them and for good reason. This article and others is why
New Tricks | Chicago magazine | June 2015

I'll believe people on the ground living in the actual neighborhood and reliable media sources before I believe your spin straight from the Chicago machine. If people living in the neighborhood are saying crime is out of control, I'm going to believe them vs. the Chicago machine, which doesn't exactly have a history of ethics.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Did you actually read the article? It also mentioned that another Waffle House employee shot and killed a customer (not a robber) simply for acting "unruly." A gun surely didn't help in THAT situation, did it?
I did read the article and I did read about the incident to which you are referring. So, just because someone used their gun irresponsibly means all gunowners will use their guns irresponsibly? Is that what you are trying to imply? In my state, almost everyone owns and carries guns on them...yet we have almost no crime. With all of Chicago's gun laws, can you say the same?

Old 10-12-2015, 12:10 AM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, but "Do the right thing" doesn't associate NYC with the title of the film. A person would have to watch the film to see that it's about NYC, and the movie was more about racial tensions in the neighborhoods. "Chiraq" is equating Chicago with a war zone, and the name itself is obvious and a reminder to the public about Chicago violence.
Fair enough. But I still think the city won't be harmed by the movie. The story needs to be told.

That video of a bunch of hoodrats waving a handgun around and shooting randomly in Lincoln Park is the essence of the problem. Tribal hoodrat culture, where a hint of 'disrespect' can mean some mouth-breathing dunce squeezes off twenty rounds in your general direction, needs to be wiped out. That culture's members simply don't care about the effect their actions have on others, and they seem unable to anticipate that those actions might endanger themselves or those around them at a later time. Such stupidity and myopia isn't pathetic; it's simply repellent.

I'm hoping Chiraq might make these points. (Even if they're unlikely to sink in.)

Perhaps the city and state might reconsider locking up drug offenders to make room for sediment-dwellers like the gun-waver in that cell phone video. Removing hoodrats from society long-term can only benefit Chicago and its tentative recovery.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:24 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
I'm actually a big advocate of non-censorship. A big factor against censorship. So there's nothing wrong with exposing people.

Or maybe this is just a film geared to how Black people are different than White people.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:45 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
The Crooklyn comparison doesn't work. Crooklyn was a mostly charming movie about a family. It's not about crime, although there is crime in it. Roger Ebert lamented that movie title because it gave people false impressions about what the movie is about.

Chiraq, however, is in your face, and what you see it what you get. Even if it's a comedy like Lysistrata, the backdrop will still be one of war and violence. And since it's a retelling of Lysistrata, it could have been set in any American city, but Spike Lee chose Chicago, and called it Chiraq to bring in the crowds.

Chicago's reputation will suffer, for sure. But that's fine, if the movie is accurate and not sensational. Keeping secrets is not healthy, and it's not like Chicago's violence was really a secret anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago