Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,634 times

Advertisements

Hay muchos mexicanos en Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 2,033 times
I'm a native spanish speaker, I'm bilingual and I love to teach. I live in New York city and if you MOD EDIT

Ah! I'm speech Pathologist and i write and speak Spanish at college level.

You do not enough posts to make a recommendation, yet, and you cannot promote a business here. Members who wish to contact you privately may do so through our Direct Message service. ~ Moderator

Last edited by linicx; 09-10-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 02:23 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilicar View Post
I'm a native spanish speaker, I'm bilingual and I love to teach. I live in New York city and if you MOD EDIT

Ah! I'm speech Pathologist and i write and speak Spanish at college level.

Free?

Last edited by linicx; 09-10-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM

Interested members should DM the poster.

Last edited by linicx; 09-10-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,416 times
Quote Removed in previous post by MNoderator.

I may be interested!

Last edited by linicx; 09-10-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 02:34 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Instituto Cervantes Chicago

This place also offers Spanish classes. That being said, I don't know how much they account for the differences in the Spanish commonly spoken in the US (from central/south America) and the Spanish spoken in Spain.
I'm not directly familiar with them, but my understanding is that part of their mission is actually to promote a standardization on the Castilian language is the Hispanic world, so I would expect their language classes to teach that form of Spanish.

You'd still be mostly intelligible anywhere Spanish is spoken, though. There are variations, but the core is the same everywhere, and most people are at least aware of those their regional dialect varies from Castilian. And once you know Spanish, adapting to a regionalization of it is a lot easier than learning it to begin with.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I'm not directly familiar with them, but my understanding is that part of their mission is actually to promote a standardization on the Castilian language is the Hispanic world, so I would expect their language classes to teach that form of Spanish.

You'd still be mostly intelligible anywhere Spanish is spoken, though. There are variations, but the core is the same everywhere, and most people are at least aware of those their regional dialect varies from Castilian. And once you know Spanish, adapting to a regionalization of it is a lot easier than learning it to begin with.
Yes, and castellano sounds better.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:35 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

I took a class with them and you are correct. They offer very good scheduling flexibility (early AM and late PM classes), although for the bang for the buck was lacking.

Spanish with Michel Thomas on CD was the best program for me personally. He builds on word roots and phrasing that are already familiar to the English ear. It's done with a 2-3 mock students learning as you do. The only bad thing was the fact that one of the students was a complete idiot and it frustrated me to hear him screwing things up all the time.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Default cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
I may be interested!
No problem! Just let me know. Mod Cut

Last edited by linicx; 09-10-2011 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvee87vertgt View Post
i would just get a part time job working in a kitchen or somewhere on 26th st/18th st
Or any kitchen anywhere in the city. And about half the suburbs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago