Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 07:26 PM

143 posts, read 243,542 times

Advertisements

This being Chicago, I'm guessing a lot of people have experience with basements flooding. We live in a duplex down, and have had water (seepage mostly, though we were the unfortunate victims of our condo building's pipe's back up flooding our basement). Carpet seems silly at this point -we've already pulled it up twice (once before when we were just renters, and second time recently after we purchased).

My husband thinks the vinyl flooring that looks like wood is the way to go, since it's waterproof and looks pretty decent. Does anyone have opinions on this? How will it affect our resale value, if at all? He also says the guy at Home Depot told him to forego the pad underneath, since it will cause issues if we get more water.

Any reco's on installers? Home Depot? Other places?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:30 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,223,075 times
I think the faux wood looks cheesy. Is it out of your price range to install ceramic tile?

Old 10-20-2015, 07:43 AM

No - it just seemed ceramic tile is really cold, and I thought the wood flooring would be more preferable? I was just using redfin to look and see what other duplex downs were doing (outside of carpet), and saw a lot more faux wood floors than tiles.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:38 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,229,178 times
If you like the look, you could just stain the existing concrete. Do a google search for stained concrete floors and see if you like them. You could have a pro do it or diy and rent the tools from home depot. Then use area rugs for warmth and softness and easily remove them if there is a prediction of heavy rains.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:58 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,132,888 times
First, I cannot emphasize strongly enough NOT to use Home Depot or any other "big box" chain for installation. They have a TERRIBLE record of using truly incompetent subcontractors. The "bad apple" subcontractors know how to game the big box referal networks, changing the name of their little service to remain in the system even when they have done horrible work.

Second, if you have not fully addressed the potential for either storm water seepage or sewer backup with appropriate systems it is foolhardy to invest in either tile or vinyl; the "water damage restoration / cleaning services" will attest to the fact that the grooves from grout or the embossed surface of vinyl / seams are impossible fully clean and you will have "sewer stink" to deal with forever. If you have any doubts about water infiltration / sewer backup the only sane option is to get the concrete stained and sealed. Of course older homes are not easy to do, as the process involves an acid etch and epoxy that cannot be cured without odors. Once it is cured you can use area rugs and/or remnants that have been professional bound and laid over appropriate pads to provide more "cold feet isolation" than any tile or vinyl while still being fully removable / cleanable / disposable.

If you have fully addressed any water issues you can consider real wood. An appropriate engineered flooring, that uses real wood veneer over an core that is compatible with direct concrete contact OR if you can spare the headroom, true hardwood flooring can be applied over an appropriate subflooring that isolates the flooring from the concrete -- DRIcore® Products | About DRIcore®

Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 AM

Thank you, everyone, for your replies!
And Chet - thank you, as always, for your frank and thoughtful response! This is very helpful. We have addressed the seepage as much as we can (sealing, back flow valve, etc.), but I will check with my husband to double make sure we haven't missed anything!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:14 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,903,635 times
The only thing that makes sense for a basement is the old fashion vinyl tile due to water issues. I have done a lot of research into this and although others may have something different its not a matter of if their basement will leak or get some water its when. I have lived in numerous houses in the Chicago area and all have gotten water in them from a couple of feet to a puddle. Its called VCT tile. Vinyl composition tile. It does not come in wood. The next grade up is something called luxury vinyl tile. It comes in a variety of patterns. I suggest you go to a reputable installer who knows what he is doing. I just had my basement laundry room done by a place in Lombard and the guy did a flawless job, cutting around all pumps, washer, dryer, furnace, etc. This tile is applied directly to the cement with a kind of glue, or mastic. I am not sure what it is I call it mastic but it might not be that. If it does not come in wood I do know it comes in a stone kind of appearance that is pleasant. You can't really be concerned with high end or what might seem cheesy in a basement as you have to go practical.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:17 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,903,635 times
By the way there aren't really any seams on mine. If water gets on it, you simply sanitize by putting a little bleach or pine sol and mop it up. Or use a shop vac to remove puddles. The minute dampness gets on real wood or engineered wood, it will all have to be ripped out.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:50 AM

Thanks, ToriaT! This is very good to know. I'm going to pass this along to my husband. I know we considered the tile, as well.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:23 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,150,319 times
I hear Lumber Liquidators have some fine imported flooring from China, with extra deadly chemicals for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago