Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 PM

55 posts, read 234,336 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to travel to Chicago this summer. I need to know a couple of things:

-What's the closest L train station to Union Station and how far of a walk is it?
-I'm planning to stay at HI Hostel on 24 E Congress Parkway, 60605. By all of my research, it seems like a good place. How is the area around it and is it a good hostel?
-What's the Loop like? I heard it's great but dead at night.
-What are some areas I should stay out of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:39 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2006 View Post
I'm planning to travel to Chicago this summer. I need to know a couple of things:

-What's the closest L train station to Union Station and how far of a walk is it?
-I'm planning to stay at HI Hostel on 24 E Congress Parkway, 60605. By all of my research, it seems like a good place. How is the area around it and is it a good hostel?
-What's the Loop like? I heard it's great but dead at night.
-What are some areas I should stay out of?
The closest stop is the Quincy stop, which connects you to the Orange, Brown and Pink lines. It's a few blocks, maybe a 5 minute walk.

The area around your hostel is fine, safety-wise.

You've heard correctly about the loop. Bustling during the day, beautiful architecture, but its not where Chicagoans spend their evenings. However, you'll be able to access all the nightlife areas pretty easily via public transit, so it shouldn't be a problem.

There aren't really any areas that you'd find yourself going into that you need to stay out of. The bad areas aren't really near anywhere with a tourist appeal, so you don't have to worry about finding yourself in a place that you really shouldn't be. Just don't ride the el with a 'golly gee I'm in the city' look on your face and you'll be fine.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 PM

79 posts, read 353,375 times
hmm, i think the clinton stop on the blue line is closer (its maybe about 2 blocks), not sure, i guess it may depend on where you get out of the train station. if i am correct, i think the clinton stop is closer to the main entrance and you dont have to go over the bridge

Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraiya View Post
hmm, i think the clinton stop on the blue line is closer (its maybe about 2 blocks), not sure, i guess it may depend on where you get out of the train station. if i am correct, i think the clinton stop is closer to the main entrance and you dont have to go over the bridge
I forgot about that stop, but I'd say they're probably about the same distance, perhaps the Clinton stop is a bit closer. Depends on where the OP needs to go from Union Station.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I'm guessing he needs to go from the station to the hostel which he mentioned was on Wabash and Congress, so the best bet is to hop on the Blue Line at Clinton, take it to LaSalle, and then walk the rest of the way. Or it might be just as well to hoof it from the station to the hotel -- it's maybe a 10-minute walk. Or there's always a couple of bus lines that run from the station to State or Wabash along Jackson.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
If the OP is coming into Union Station I'd also advise the person to hoof it from the station to east on Congress. It would probably even be faster than a taxi, with all the one way streets. Its not a bad walk -- over the river than past the Calder artwork and by the big historic buildings. I prefer the walk, myself. The Clinton subway stop is kind of dank and subterranean -- since its close to the river it is FAR underground.. [Yes, I know that's why they call it a subway!] That hostel is in an area with a lot of students rambling around after dark, also.

I think the bus #1 goes from Union Station to near the hostel on Congress, but the CTA info should be checked. Avoid residential areas without tourist attractions which are outside the Loop at night. Wear your game face.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
It depends on how much luggage you'll have if walking makes sense. If you don't have much, I'd just walk. If you have a significant amount I'd take a taxi- it won't be very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago