Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:34 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I think Canaryville is mostly Hispanic and Bridgeport mostly Asian these days. But probably a bit of the old feel remains.
There's some Asian people there now (around 9 or 10% in one tract, but only a few percent in another tract), but it's still predominantly white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 02:44 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's some Asian people there now (around 9 or 10% in one tract, but only a few percent in another tract), but it's still predominantly white.
Hmm, not sure about that. Pretty sure Canaryville is around 75% nonwhite, and Bridgeport near Chinatown appears majority Asian.

I doubt there's a Census tract in those two neighborhoods that is less than 10% minority at this point.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Hmm, not sure about that. Pretty sure Canaryville is around 75% nonwhite, and Bridgeport near Chinatown appears majority Asian.

I doubt there's a Census tract in those two neighborhoods that is less than 10% minority at this point.
You are probably counting too much in the definition of the neighborhood. Canaryville doesn't really extend west of Halsted or too much. The area west of Halsted is much more Hispanic for sure. No doubt about that.

For example, this is a main part of Canaryville:
Census Tract 610800 in Cook County, Illinois = 69.7% non hispanic white

North of there you'd be more correct in this block group which is 23.7% Hispanic and 20.9% Asian (29.7% non Hispanic white).: http://www.usa.com/IL0318426001.html

But at the same time you have these two census block groups part of Canaryville:
* http://www.usa.com/IL0318426003.html = 61.8% non Hispanic white
* http://www.usa.com/IL0318426004.html = 52.8% non Hispanic white

These are in "race alone" too - the "Other category" which for each of these is actually pretty high has more people who are 2 or more races.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:00 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
I think Canaryville is mostly Hispanic and Bridgeport mostly Asian these days. But probably a bit of the old feel remains.
When I go to the strip mall over there on Ashland and 31st I feel it's more Mexican than anything else.

Really only Mt. Greenwood and Edison Park seem to be the mostly White neighborhoods that are made up of natives and not transplants.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:14 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
The demographics of Canaryville, very intriguing.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:22 AM

Let me clear up what I meant. Strong Chicago sounding people exist in areas outside of the North Side.

What isn't accurate is the Superfan accent. Nobody here says "saaaahhhhhsage". It's called a "SAWsage" with emphasis on the aw. Same with hot dogs. Nobody says "haht dahgs", it's "haht DAWGS". The Superfan pronunciation was more Minnesota. I remember when I meet people from MSP and they talk about their "bahss at work" or their "dahgs at home".

Want to know something confusing? Let's think about the mafia term, mob boss. If you want to be perplexed at the Chicago accent, think about this.

Boston had "mawb bawses"
Minneapolis had "mahb bahses" (Norwegian mob maybe lol)
Chicago on the other hand, had "mahb bawses".

In Indianapolis, it's simple. They eat hot dogs. In Pittsburgh, they eat hawt dawgs. In Minneapolis, they eat haht dahgs. But in Chicago, they eat haht dawgs.

It's a confusing dialect.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Let me clear up what I meant. Strong Chicago sounding people exist in areas outside of the North Side.

What isn't accurate is the Superfan accent. Nobody here says "saaaahhhhhsage". It's called a "SAWsage" with emphasis on the aw. Same with hot dogs. Nobody says "haht dahgs", it's "haht DAWGS". The Superfan pronunciation was more Minnesota. I remember when I meet people from MSP and they talk about their "bahss at work" or their "dahgs at home".

Want to know something confusing? Let's think about the mafia term, mob boss. If you want to be perplexed at the Chicago accent, think about this.

Boston had "mawb bawses"

In Indianapolis, it's simple. They eat hot dogs. In Pittsburgh, they eat hawt dawgs. In Minneapolis, they eat haht dahgs. But in Chicago, they eat haht dawgs.

That was pretty good

...but I have never heard anyone anywhere pronounce 'mob' to rhyme with 'boss'. Mob rhymes with Bob and boss rhymes with floss.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That was pretty good

...but I have never heard anyone anywhere pronounce 'mob' to rhyme with 'boss'. Mob rhymes with Bob and boss rhymes with floss.
In cities that are cot-caught merged, the pronunciations employ the same Vowel sound. Most coastal cities on the Atlantic differentiate between the two sounds. But the Boston area doesn't.

Likewise, most Great Lakes region cities differentiate between the two sounds. But once you get to Minnesota, the sounds merge but into a sort of "broad a" sound like "ah" whereas in Boston they take on a more British short-o sound like "aw".

However, given that most consonants will produce a different Vowel sound based on the way the tongue and mouth have to interact, no Vowel will sound the absolute same even with cot-caught merged people no matter how close the sounds are. But the differences are so negligible they are considered fully merged.

In theory a cot-caught merged dialect would employ the same Vowel sound for floss as it would for Bob.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:06 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
In cities that are cot-caught merged, the pronunciations employ the same Vowel sound. Most coastal cities on the Atlantic differentiate between the two sounds. But the Boston area doesn't.

Likewise, most Great Lakes region cities differentiate between the two sounds. But once you get to Minnesota, the sounds merge but into a sort of "broad a" sound like "ah" whereas in Boston they take on a more British short-o sound like "aw".

However, given that most consonants will produce a different Vowel sound based on the way the tongue and mouth have to interact, no Vowel will sound the absolute same even with cot-caught merged people no matter how close the sounds are. But the differences are so negligible they are considered fully merged.

In theory a cot-caught merged dialect would employ the same Vowel sound for floss as it would for Bob.
I never thought about that. He cot a cold. Funny.

I also think my wife, whom I've known for 37 years, mispronounces my name. She says Larry to rhyme with hairy, when I think it should rhyme with Harry. But she thinks hairy and Harry have the same sound when I think they are completely different. She is from southern Indiana.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:

Boston had "mawb bawses"

Sorry, but they DO talk that way in some parts of the southwest side (white people). I can tell a southwest sider by that accent. They do say sahsage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago