Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:12 PM

9 posts, read 34,469 times

Advertisements

I have got a job in Mercy Hospital, Chicago. I will be moving to Chicago in June with my husband and 3 yr old son. My husband is going to be working from home. We are planning to live in downtown. I have done search on this forum regarding family friendly areas,(Lincoln Park, Roscow Village, Gold coast) and I have few questions.

1. How is the commute from all these places to Mercy Hospital? I mean how long will it take and how safe it is? My hours of commute are going to be 5-6am in the morning and 6-8/9pm at night.

2. Is there any public transport from all these places to Mercy Hospital? If yes, is it safe to use it keeping in mind my odd hours?

3. I am looking for a preschool for my son, If anyone can provide some information about the good preschools/montessories in these areas.

4. We currently have two cars, do we need to bring both the cars? What is the parking situation like? Can we do with just one car?

5. What kind of activities we can do with my son in these areas? Will it be safe to take him out for a walk? Can we have him join swimming/painting/art classes there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 06:42 PM

49 posts, read 214,371 times
Mercy Hospital is in an AWFUL part of the city, if you are going to be getting off at 8/9 pm at night and taking public transport back to the areas of the city that you mentioned you would like to live in, then you are looking for trouble as a woman traveling alone on public transport from Mercy Hospital. It is in a very dangerous part of the city off of Michigan Ave.

I am a native Chicagoan and grew up here my entire life. That area scared the crap out of me over 20 years ago when my grandmother was dying in that hospital. Now the crime is even worse in that area. Drug dealers galore, and the entire area is just trash.

There is a place on the Chicago Police Department website, that you can narrow in on precincts and get the crime stats for each area and pretty detailed areas. Check it out. You can also go to the State of Illinois sex offender website and type in the zip code for Mercy Hospital and see all the sex offenders that live in that area.

Just out of curiosity, from where are you moving and did you research the Mercy Hospital area before you accepted a job there. There are a lot more nicer hospitals in the city to work at than Mercy Hospital.

I would start looking for another job ASAP before June and find something else at another hospital.

The one thing to always check out before you accept a job or decide to move to an area is the Sex offender websites for the area and the detailed crime stats from the Police Dept. This will give you a fairly good idea of the neighborhood that you are thinking of relocating too.

Please consider not taking this job at Mercy, especially if you have to take public transport...

Last edited by freshmtt; 02-01-2008 at 06:51 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 06:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,648,958 times
I dont even like to be around Mercy in the daytime and I am a tough male. I mostly would echo Freshmtt's comments.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:17 PM

Here is the website that lists the crime stats by zip code.

Mercy Hospital and Medical Center is at 2525 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL. 60616

Crimes in 60616 | EveryBlock Chicago

Is this really the area that you want to be traveling to everyday to get to work??

There are a lot of gangs in that area as well.

To be perfectly honest with you, if you are making a halfway decent salary and you must to be able to afford to live in the Lincoln Park area and Gold Coast as you mentioned in your post, you will be quite frankly disgusted with the neighborhood that Mercy is located in.

I would not even consider risking my life to work in that area. I am sure you can find a job on the North Shore area close to where you want to live. There are good hospitals there.

Stay out of the Ghetto at Mercy..

Old 02-01-2008, 08:19 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,963,485 times
Is that area really that bad? I interviewed at Mercy and Michael Reese a few years ago and walked from one hospital to the other. Its not the Gold Coast but it seemed okay in the daytime. The doctors that I interviewed with seemed to have no problem taking public transit to go to work there. Plus, gentrification is steadily marching in that direction. I'm sure its fine if you're driving, its right off the Stevenson expressway.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:41 PM

54 posts, read 200,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Is that area really that bad? I interviewed at Mercy and Michael Reese a few years ago and walked from one hospital to the other. Its not the Gold Coast but it seemed okay in the daytime. The doctors that I interviewed with seemed to have no problem taking public transit to go to work there. Plus, gentrification is steadily marching in that direction. I'm sure its fine if you're driving, its right off the Stevenson expressway.

I don't think it's that bad. Not bad enough to decline the job offer. I used to live not too far from there. There's IIT dormitories down the street and Illinois College of Optometry, plus some condos to the right and left of Mercy.

Last edited by misspetite; 02-01-2008 at 08:53 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
It's a lot better than it used to be. I think peoples' recollections of how bad that area stems from before most of the public housing got bulldozed. It's still worth keeping an eye over your shoulder in that area especially at night as there is still some public housing there, but it's not nearly as horrible as it used to be. Notice very few of the crimes posted by freshmtt are violent crimes. Most of it is crap that regularly happens everywhere in the city, even the decent parts. Let's take a look at the police blotter in the vaunted Lakeview neighborhood, for instance...

Last edited by Drover; 02-01-2008 at 09:43 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 09:50 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,197,647 times
Sorry, I gotta disagree. Mercy is not in a really bad area and they are putting up lots of new townhomes in the area. If you are going to work in that area you should check out Lake Meadows and the other offerings around there. It is a neighborhood I would be willing to invest in. The area residents are somewhat diverse due to the two major medical institutions around there. I see all sorts of people walking around there and biking to the lake, which is very close. So the area around Mercy is not the ghetto in the technical or in the more familiar sense.

You can live relatively cheaply (with great skyline views) around Mercy if you can abide living around middle-income black folks. That's the straight dope.

There is good transportation to Mercy by bus from the downtown but not by subway or Metra. Parking around Mercy is possible. Most of the folks who live around Mercy shop at the Lake Meadows shopping center (35th & MLK), the Jewel on Roosevelt road (12th st.) or in Hyde Park (around 55th street). There are also many preschool offerings in Hyde Park and in the South Loop.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:06 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,963,485 times
If anything, the neighborhood (Bronzeville) is probably one of the better bets for future appreciation.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:14 PM

I'll still disagree, It might have gotten better in the last 20 years since many of the projects have been torn down, However, there is still too much crime in that area for my own personal taste. There are plenty of places to live and work in the Chicagoland area. For those of you that don't mind traveling into a place where there are still violent crimes, gangs and drug dealing then by all means go ahead and live and work there. I guess many people that choose to live in the city of Chicago, this does not bother them, however, I would not go into that neighborhood daily for any reason at all. Just my personal choice. I still think it is a sh*t hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago