Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:11 PM

54 posts, read 188,124 times

Advertisements

Im thinking about visiting Chicago from overseas in July.

I was in Toronto a couple of years ago and I picture Chicago to be a pretty similar city in many ways.

In Toronto I kinda stayed in the suburbs (close to Danforth Village). I enjoyed the atmosphere of staying a little bit outside the busiest city.

I like to be able to stay in a walkable area with restaurants and shopping nearby in Chicago.

What neighborhoods are to prefer?

And what areas should be avoided?

Last edited by Track and field lover; 11-04-2015 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: editing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:02 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,105,917 times
Any North side neighborhood along the lake is fine.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:06 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
West to Western ave and north of grand is fine too.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:22 PM

300 posts, read 639,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Any North side neighborhood along the lake is fine.

Yeah, tell people to see only half the city..You guys burn me up with the "stick to the north side" garbage.

What about the beautiful Pullman area? I see groups of tourists walking around there all the time.
What about the University of Chicago/Hyde Park or Bronzeville? I guess its a war zone over there too.

To the OP, explore the whole city, its not just the Loop & the North side.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:25 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Yeah, tell people to see only half the city..You guys burn me up with the "stick to the north side" garbage.

What about the beautiful Pullman area? I see groups of tourists walking around there all the time.
What about the University of Chicago/Hyde Park? I guess its a war zone over there too.
Hyde Park is definitely a must see neighborhood IMO. However as cool as Pullman is it is far as hell and not easy to get to without a car. IMO not worth the trip to see it.

OP I recommend exploring the following neighborhoods: Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Ukrainian Village, West Loop, Pilsen, Chinatown, University Village/Little Italy, Old Town, and Hyde Park.

Other neighborhoods that would be cool to check out if you have the time would be Logan Square, Uptown, Lincoln Square, Kenwood and Albany Park.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:48 PM

300 posts, read 639,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Hyde Park is definitely a must see neighborhood IMO. However as cool as Pullman is it is far as hell and not easy to get to without a car. IMO not worth the trip to see it.

OP I recommend exploring the following neighborhoods: Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Ukrainian Village, West Loop, Pilsen, Chinatown, University Village/Little Italy, Old Town, and Hyde Park.

Other neighborhoods that would be cool to check out if you have the time would be Logan Square, Uptown, Lincoln Square, Kenwood and Albany Park.
Quick 25-30 minute trip on the Metra Electric, get off at 111th

Of course I would do this trip in the daytime around noon

Old 11-04-2015, 05:00 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Downtown area is the must see part of town. Typically you'll want to stay in an area like River North, Streeterville, or Gold Coast. The Loop and South Loop has stuff too, though it's the business district in the Loop and not a ton happening outside of Millennium Park (must see). I'd recommend 110% an architectural boat tour and to check out both the lakefront and riverwalk. The bad areas are pretty far away from the good areas. You'd have to take a few trains in particular like 30 minutes to even get there.

The largest area with shopping is Streeterville and Gold Coast which has Michigan Avenue in it (north of the river). There is shopping on some streets like Oak Street off that too. Tons of restaurants all downtown (again, I'd say north of the river if you're looking for restaurants, bars, shopping, etc). If you want to check out the actual neighborhoods, I'd recommend Wicker Park/Bucktown, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Lincoln Square, Hyde Park, Pilsen, etc.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:13 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Downtown area is the must see part of town. Typically you'll want to stay in an area like River North, Streeterville, or Gold Coast. The Loop and South Loop has stuff too, though it's the business district in the Loop and not a ton happening outside of Millennium Park (must see). I'd recommend 110% an architectural boat tour and to check out both the lakefront and riverwalk. The bad areas are pretty far away from the good areas. You'd have to take a few trains in particular like 30 minutes to even get there.

The largest area with shopping is Streeterville and Gold Coast which has Michigan Avenue in it (north of the river). There is shopping on some streets like Oak Street off that too. Tons of restaurants all downtown (again, I'd say north of the river if you're looking for restaurants, bars, shopping, etc). If you want to check out the actual neighborhoods, I'd recommend Wicker Park/Bucktown, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Lincoln Square, Hyde Park, Pilsen, etc.
And I would really check out at least 2-3 of the neighborhoods everyone is mentioning. While downtown Chicago is great and amazing, I feel the neighborhoods really give you good insight into what life is like in Chicago and shows more of its "true" identity.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:08 PM

575 posts, read 616,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Quick 25-30 minute trip on the Metra Electric, get off at 111th

Of course I would do this trip in the daytime around noon
So you're telliing the OP to go to Pullman, but return before it gets dark?

Old 11-04-2015, 09:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
And I would really check out at least 2-3 of the neighborhoods everyone is mentioning. While downtown Chicago is great and amazing, I feel the neighborhoods really give you good insight into what life is like in Chicago and shows more of its "true" identity.
Yeah, though I think it's important for any first time visitor to spend some time downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago