Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times

Advertisements

What is the big deal about suits? some people wear them and some people don't. I sometimes wear them for presentations or when I know important people are gong to be around and such and I've never been overly bothered by having to do so, and I am also firmly a member of Generation X (besides I like some of my suits, it would be a shame to let them collect dust in my closet). I work with people who wear suits almost every day and they are just as trustworthy as the guy who doesn't.

... and my personal opinions is that I'd rather see a guy in a suit that in some faded khakis (which I've always thought looked rather ugly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 03:48 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
There are people at my work who dress very casually (one woman even wears a track suit) But I still wear dress pants and a nice sweater everyday. I don't have to, but I personally feel weird if dressed more casually at work. I feel this woman comes across as a little unprofessional.

I think for me it comes down to two reasons I dress up

1. I think it gives me an air of professionalism. I'm young and I don't want to look like an intern!

2. I like clothes and it give me an excuse to shop.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Ha ha...these post are killing me.

I work in sales and I wear a suit to all of my meetings and enrollments.

I just got a mental picture of the administrative aid thinking...here comes this damn sales guy again.

I think I may loosen up my image now by ditching the tie and just going with a coat.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:35 PM

258 posts, read 1,020,427 times
I work @ the CBOT and we're slobs.

We dress as casually as we can get away with, when we had to wear ties, we kept the same tie in our pockets, pre tied.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:09 PM

172 posts, read 438,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Huh... I never thought they were that bad, though I don't own a pair and don't especially intend to. They look a lot less goofy to me than those super-pointy women's shoes where the point extends about 14 inches beyond the end of their toes. They look like a dress version of clown shoes...
I agree with that! They look really bad on my size 10 foot (not that I have ever really tried them on). It is sooooo hard to find ladies dress shoes that don't have pointy toes.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Certainly not.

I'll say this: Right or wrong, I get treated differently when I'm dressed differently. I usually dress for comfort when I fly. Jeans and a hoodie, even when on a business trip (provided I'll get to check into my hotel before being anywhere for business). Last trip I took, I had to be in meetings as soon as I got off of the plane and had meetings until I got back on the plane 3 days later. Therefore, I was wearing a suit on both hops. I was treated with much more care and deference, and not just by airline staff. People at coffee shops. Other passengers. Etc. I'm a younger guy, so maybe it was the difference between looking like a college kid or looking like a businessman. I dunno. I don't feel like either.

I like the smiles I get from those of the female persuasion when I'm dressed well, too.

There are times and places for everything. If your job doesn't ask you to dress well, be comfortable!
I had the exact same experience (I think I heard the term 'sir' more). I used to fly out every week, and at some point, started wearing a sport coat and some better fitting slacks. Funny thing is I got the sport coat to hold all my crap, like keys, personal phone blackberry, etc, since I hate sell phone holsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: