Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:59 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
But cold + wind + waiting for public transportation is a combination that makes it worse than some other colder places.
This is true, but there's ways around it sometimes.

1) If you are going to be taking the subway, then it's not as bad - that's self explanatory.

2) A number of train stations have closed off areas below the tracks which are shielded from the wind. Sometimes they are heated, but sometimes they aren't necessarily 100% heated. Regardless, you can easily wait down there considering most stations have boards on them telling you when the next train(s) is/are coming.

3) If you need to take the bus, then you can get one of the tens of transit tracker apps that Chicago has that are pretty accurate. If you are at a restaurant for example and know it's going to take 4 minutes to walk to the stop but the bus doesn't come for 10 minutes, then you already know how to cut down on the amount of time outside. Instead of leaving right then, wait 4-5 minutes and then leave.

No doubt it sucks, but there are definite ways to cut down especially at a number of train stops. And as we all know, not everyone takes public transit 100% of the time. Yes some people drive - others will take cabs/uber (UberX is cheaper than cabs in Chicago) in this situation - especially when they're with a few people. Sometimes if you aren't going a long ways and have 3 or 4 people, taking an Uber or Cab is actually cheaper than taking public transit when you split the fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 06:31 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,214,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
But cold + wind + waiting for public transportation is a combination that makes it worse than some other colder places.
Which other places?

Minneapolis was brought up, but they have slightly faster wind speed than Chicago and they are colder. No doubt, waiting outside will mean your attire needs to withstand more, but you still won't need to dress like an Eskimo.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:14 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,249,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Which other places?

Minneapolis was brought up, but they have slightly faster wind speed than Chicago and they are colder. No doubt, waiting outside will mean your attire needs to withstand more, but you still won't need to dress like an Eskimo.
I assume the reference is to Chicago's generally open-air transit system. Most major systems have underground rail systems, while Chicago's system is almost entirely above-ground, so the vast majority of people are waiting outside. If the L were, say, mostly underground, the "issues" surrounding winter season commuting would be vastly reduced.

The other issue would be that Chicago has a higher % of bus to rail commuters than most other major metros, especially in the most desirable neighborhoods. Most people in the richest parts of Chicago commuting by transit are taking the bus. Bus commuting, by definition is going to expose you to elements. If you're some professional living on Astor Street and taking transit to your job in the Loop, you're taking the bus.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I assume the reference is to Chicago's generally open-air transit system. Most major systems have underground rail systems, while Chicago's system is almost entirely above-ground, so the vast majority of people are waiting outside. If the L were, say, mostly underground, the "issues" surrounding winter season commuting would be vastly reduced.
I think that a lot of people aren't smart enough at stations considering numerous of them in Chicago now have downstairs waiting areas (i.e. http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/im.../argyle13t.jpg) that aren't open air (not 100% heated though they sometimes are, but warmer than outside - no wind either) that tell you when the next trains are coming. I did this numerous times in that really cold winter two years ago. A number of stations were renovated semi recently too so they're a lot nicer than they were even 2-3 years ago.

The other stuff is harder but again, alleviated with the use of smart phone apps and good time management if you can do that (i.e. you're only a few or handful minute walk to the bus stop and you're currently in a restaurant, bar, shop, etc). If you are somewhere, with a bus stop 4 minute walk away and you can see on one of a ton of free transit tracker apps that the bus is coming in 10 minutes - there's no reason why you'd leave right then and there instead of waiting a few minutes if you don't want to be exposed to the cold as much.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:18 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,958,373 times
Lands End has a 50% sale on outerwear today only (Black Friday). I just bought a fleece to fill a gap in my winter wardrobe. I have a wind breaker, a cloth coat and a really warm parka, bought a fleece that I'll wear in the weather between the cloth coat and the parka.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,780,280 times
It is all about the extremities. Head, hands, feet. Warm hat, gloves, warm water proof boots too.

The issue with snow in Chicago is that because of the cold weather, the snow stays on the ground sometimes for months at a time when it does snow.

The wind was always the biggest thing for me. Many people debate the actual temperatures, which do get cold, but the wind can be challenging.

This all on top of the shorter dark days with less sunlight.

It is a great city, just be prepared and not just wing it and you will be much happier.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:54 PM

49 posts, read 49,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
It is all about the extremities. Head, hands, feet. Warm hat, gloves, warm water proof boots too.
My biggest problem has always been cold feet. Even when wearing huge, thick insulated, heavy boots, my feet still get cold. Does the type of socks make a big difference? I've been wearing two pairs at a time indoors lately and my feet are still super cold.

Cold hands too though. Still haven't figured out how to be able to use my fingers in winter without having painfully cold hands. Taking them off for 10 seconds at a time and it's game over I don't know how the hell people work on their cars when it's 10 degrees out. If a friend is doing so then I just stand there holding the flashlight for them.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,770,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by existant View Post
My biggest problem has always been cold feet. Even when wearing huge, thick insulated, heavy boots, my feet still get cold. Does the type of socks make a big difference? I've been wearing two pairs at a time indoors lately and my feet are still super cold.

Cold hands too though. Still haven't figured out how to be able to use my fingers in winter without having painfully cold hands. Taking them off for 10 seconds at a time and it's game over I don't know how the hell people work on their cars when it's 10 degrees out. If a friend is doing so then I just stand there holding the flashlight for them.
Use a thin pair of socks under the thicker socks. I wear compression socks and that seems to really help. With fingers, you can try a pair of insulated work gloves like these:

Ergodyne ProFlex 817 Thermal Utility Gloves :: Mechanics Gloves :: Safety Gloves :: Legion Safety

Old 11-29-2015, 09:55 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,958,373 times
Quote:

Do your fingers and toes turn white? If so, you may have Reynaud's syndrome. My dad has had it for years. I don't know if there is any treatment for it. You can try those little chemical handwarmers. You can put those in your boots too.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Socks definitely matter - I'd get some wool ones if you haven't already. You can get some fairly cheap ones at places like Uniqlo or Macy's (both on Michigan Ave across the street from one another). In general though, you may not have good circulation. If you don't already do it, make sure you drink more water every day and exercise more per week. It should help circulation a little bit (though it is sometimes genetic and it won't 'cure' it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: