Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:03 AM

76 posts, read 94,986 times

Advertisements

I'm at a price point where if I live in the Gold Coast, I can upgrade from a 2009 Camry to a BMW 3 series. Getting very sick of my car. If I live in River North, I'm stuck with my car.

After work on the weekdays I usually get home by 5-7 depending on whether I lift or not. Also, I'm heavy into cycling so I'm concerned about proximity to the beach if I live in River North.

On the weekends I like to enjoy the nightlife/restaurants and want to be near people my age (28 next year) - don't have too many friends so I need to network as well.

Is there a big difference living between these two areas? I heard they are in close proximity but I'm not sure if I'd want to travel 2-3 miles every time I want to do something interesting.

I guess the bottom line is, why do people pay so much more to live in River North vs Gold Coast? I can find a place in River North for $2k with parking, but I could find a similar place in GC for probably $200-300 less.

Last edited by Mirinjobra; 11-20-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 11:15 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,081,156 times
I believe these 2 subneighborhoods are in the same neighborhood, only just blocks from each other.

I take it you're not from Chicago.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:18 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,135,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinjobra View Post
Is there a big difference living between these two areas? I heard they are in close proximity but I'm not sure if I'd want to travel 2-3 miles every time I want to do something interesting.
... why do people pay so much more to live in River North vs Gold Coast?
Not a big difference, no, they are not 2-3 miles in distance more like 2-3 blocks. I don't know why you'd live in RN over GC, think I'd prefer GC.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:20 AM

76 posts, read 94,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
I believe these 2 subneighborhoods are in the same neighborhood, only just blocks from each other.

I take it you're not from Chicago.
I live in Lakeview now and have only been to River North a couple nights out. Not familiar with the area very well.

Quote:
Not a big difference, no, they are not 2-3 miles in distance more like 2-3 blocks. I don't know why you'd live in RN over GC, think I'd prefer GC.
Why is there such a big price difference between the two areas?

Old 11-20-2015, 11:26 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,135,021 times
Quote:
I think if you keep looking you'll find the differences in price aren't that big. Marithosu would be better to answer this q.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:27 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,746,750 times
No. I've talked to you before about this too - i wish you'd take my advice as someone who actually lives in the Gold Coast. From where I live, it's a 10 minute walk to areas like Hubbard Street. Maybe tack on 5-7 more if you lived closer to Division. If you think that a 10 minute walk, or a 5 minute bus ride, is missing out a lot then you probably shouldn't even be living in a big city. Cabs are plentiful and you could even take a train for 1-2 stops depending on where in GC you live. Unless you NEED to live right in the middle of River North, there's no reason you shouldn't live in Gold Coast. Gold Coast has plenty of restaurants, nightlife, shops, etc too.

This might show you how close some things are:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stat...41.8991566!3e2

Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Gold Coast has more vintage buildings and they're cheaper with the influx of newer modern high rises in areas like Streeterville and River North. However, there are still new buildings there that cost just as much as what you'd find in an area like River North, and if they aren't as much they aren't nearly far behind those in RN. The vintage buildings are cheaper and they weight in the average more.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,234,666 times
Apples to apples, GC is generally more expensive than RN. I have no idea where you came up with the idea that RN costs significantly more.

Also, they're right next to one another. How could one's lifestyle be that radically different living in one or the other?

Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Apples to apples, GC is generally more expensive than RN. I have no idea where you came up with the idea that RN costs significantly more.
Actually GC is less expensive, on average, than RN for renting which is what the OP is concerned with (he's had other threads talking about this). If you're talking about condos though - it depends on where in the Gold Coast you're talking about. There's still plenty of places in GC that are just as cheap as places in River North. I have 1 bedroom condos around me that go for under $235K in the Gold Coast. The higher end stuff though on average for purchase is more expensive in GC, but the OP doesn't really care about that.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:06 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,111,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Actually GC is less expensive, on average, than RN for renting which is what the OP is concerned with (he's had other threads talking about this). If you're talking about condos though - it depends on where in the Gold Coast you're talking about. There's still plenty of places in GC that are just as cheap as places in River North. I have 1 bedroom condos around me that go for under $235K in the Gold Coast. The higher end stuff though on average for purchase is more expensive in GC, but the OP doesn't really care about that.
You have to watch the assessments, though, they can more than make up the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: