Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 08:10 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in the former flight on Singapore Airlines that flew through Chicago. Where it was Chicago-Singapore via Amsterdam. When did the flight begin operations and when did it end? Also does anyone have any idea why Singapore Airlines ended Chicago service? I just thought if a Houston-Singapore via Moscow flight would work, a Chicago-Singapore via Amsterdam could work as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 10:34 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
First, I can't find info about Singapore Air running flights out of Chicago under their own flag, but I'll assume that you're correct and that they did at some time.

Currently, via codeshare, you can still book a flight with Singapore Airlines via San Francisco or JFK with Virgin America or JetBlue operating the domestic portions of the flights. My guess is that, if they ever did operate domestic legs themselves from Chicago to another city before jumping to Singapore, it just wasn't profitable for them to operate it compared to the flexible costs of code-share and they didn't see enough traffic to justify a direct flight. A lot of times an initial domestic collector flight can be a test-run to see if creating a direct route can be profitable. There are no non-stop Chicago to Singapore flights, so the competition of 1-stop flights was probably stiff enough to make running their own flights uneconomical and the total fliers between Chicago and Singapore probably didn't justify creating a non-stop.

Very few people really care that much who their carrier is. Business travelers might, and some avid non-business travelers might, but for casual fliers the cost savings of taking the cheapest flight for long-distance flights outweighs the advantage of loyalty miles, so for a smaller carrier like Singapore adding Chicago isn't necessarily a big win for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: