Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:58 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

I semi misspoke. I didn't really mean the performance, per se. Point was about the quality of teachers that get hired. In my friend's and his wife's suburb, according to his wife (who is a teacher and has been for around 10-15 years), their property taxes are higher because it gets pumped into the schools around there to hire teachers who have better credentials (hence why I mentioned the teachers there almost all having at least Master's degrees). She has a 6 figure salary as a regular HS teacher - her salary is public and anyone can look it up. I looked up other salaries at the same school and they were all just as high (except for the new people - they started at around $65K or $70K)

Illinois Teacher and Educator Salaries and Service

Last edited by marothisu; 12-30-2015 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 12:57 PM

298 posts, read 579,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
Much of that is retirees fleeing property taxes, I'd wager.
Seems like more than just retirees.... Hard to keep paying through the nose.

Illinois losing 1 resident every 5 minutes to out-migration | Illinois Policy | An independent government watchdog

And....more fun coming for northward heading Chicago taxes:

Aulde lang fine: Chicago

Old 12-30-2015, 08:26 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Its kinda depressing watching the news and seeing the protestors, the crime, the shootings of kids and innocent people by drive bys, the junk happening with Rahm and the teacher strikes every year, and the other junk, it can make a person want to leave.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:30 PM

121 posts, read 175,646 times
I'll probably be leaving in a few years. Formerly from the East Coast and I enjoyed my time in Chicago. I think it is a great city, reasonably affordable compared to both the West and East Coast and centrally located in the US making it a short trip to most major cities via flight but I can't stand the weather. Also I think the state will be in a lot of trouble in a few years due to their fiscal issues.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:07 PM

672 posts, read 757,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
Seems like more than just retirees.... Hard to keep paying through the nose.

Illinois losing 1 resident every 5 minutes to out-migration | Illinois Policy | An independent government watchdog

And....more fun coming for northward heading Chicago taxes:

Aulde lang fine: Chicago
Note that property taxes, by themselves, aren't that big a deal, despite what noisy conservatives like to say. Otherwise nobody would move to America's global cities, which is obviously wrong. The best and brightest in America move to NYC and happily cough up the high taxes. The trouble with Chicago isn't the taxes, it's the waste in the machine.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:47 PM

347 posts, read 521,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic87 View Post
I'll probably be leaving in a few years. Formerly from the East Coast and I enjoyed my time in Chicago. I think it is a great city, reasonably affordable compared to both the West and East Coast and centrally located in the US making it a short trip to most major cities via flight but I can't stand the weather. Also I think the state will be in a lot of trouble in a few years due to their fiscal issues.
In a few years? The state and Chicago are in huge trouble right now.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Note that property taxes, by themselves, aren't that big a deal, despite what noisy conservatives like to say. Otherwise nobody would move to America's global cities, which is obviously wrong. The best and brightest in America move to NYC and happily cough up the high taxes. The trouble with Chicago isn't the taxes, it's the waste in the machine.
To all the people who are being bankrupted by the extremely high property taxes and are looking to leave, why don't you remind them that it's not a big deal.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:13 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Bellamouse, you'd get a kick out of this one then... a $450K home in Flossmoor, IL, with a property tax of $27,000 per year!

!? $27,000 for a $450,000 house? We bought a great $600,000 condo in the city with three bedrooms, three bathrooms and three private outdoor spaces including a large rooftop deck. Our taxes are $8,800 per year.

Adjusted to the same price that would be $27,000 for a $450,000 house in Flossmoor and $6,600 in Chicago. I know on my previous condo I sold for $200,000 my taxes were around $2,400 per year.

How are the suburbs so crazy?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:24 PM

672 posts, read 757,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
To all the people who are being bankrupted by the extremely high property taxes and are looking to leave, why don't you remind them that it's not a big deal.
Fair enough. My point was that high property taxes don't necessarily lead to declining populations. People suck them up in America's premier global cities. They'll suck them up in Chicago too if the city becomes attractive enough to the creative class. High property taxes should mean world-class city amenities, constant infrastructure expansion and maintenance, and saturation policing. (Of course, they don't in Chicago.)

First step is the city declaring bankruptcy and cleaning house.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. My point was that high property taxes don't necessarily lead to declining populations. People suck them up in America's premier global cities. They'll suck them up in Chicago too if the city becomes attractive enough to the creative class. High property taxes should mean world-class city amenities, constant infrastructure expansion and maintenance, and saturation policing. (Of course, they don't in Chicago.)

First step is the city declaring bankruptcy and cleaning house.
Well said. Very good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago