Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 02:23 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I don't think Illinois is losing residents. Some cities are slowly shrinking, but most have anemic growth at the least. Pretty much ALL of the Western and Northern Chicago suburbs are growing, Aurora, Schaumburg, Evanston, Vernon Hills, etc.

Springfield is slowly growing, same with Peoria, Bloomington, Normal, and parts of the Quad Cities. I do know that Rockford has steadily been losing people for awhile now, sadly.
No, I did my research before posting. Illinois is losing people, also Chicago and the Chicago METRO, both I have grown less than 1% since the last census. When most other metros and cities, some who are peers, are growing 5%-10% or more and Chicago and its metro less than 1% something has to give.

I am not saying Chicago is doomed, I think it has a great future, but it's definitely having some problems keeping and attracting people, and I mean big time! There is no downplaying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 04:17 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Not to mention businesses.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:32 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Um, NO!

You may not think it, but the facts are different -- Illinois leads nation in population decline | NIU Newsroom
I'm not sure where you get that information since it contrasts sharply with the census bureau, which is the official source for population figures.

Especially since there was only ONE state from 2000 to 2010 that lost population and that was Michigan.

2000 - 9,938,444
2010 - 9,863,640 -0.6%

Illinois by contrast grew:

2000 - 12,419,293
2010 - 12,830,632 +3.3%

How are you going to argue with those figures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
No, I did my research before posting. Illinois is losing people, also Chicago and the Chicago METRO, both I have grown less than 1% since the last census. When most other metros and cities, some who are peers, are growing 5%-10% or more and Chicago and its metro less than 1% something has to give.

I am not saying Chicago is doomed, I think it has a great future, but it's definitely having some problems keeping and attracting people, and I mean big time! There is no downplaying that.
I'm going to quote you too, refer to my above post. Illinois is NOT losing people, look at the growth.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:53 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where you get that information since it contrasts sharply with the census bureau, which is the official source for population figures.

Especially since there was only ONE state from 2000 to 2010 that lost population and that was Michigan.

2000 - 9,938,444
2010 - 9,863,640 -0.6%

Illinois by contrast grew:

2000 - 12,419,293
2010 - 12,830,632 +3.3%

How are you going to argue with those figures?

I'm going to quote you too, refer to my above post. Illinois is NOT losing people, look at the growth.
Last year estimates indicated a decline in population, while the three years of estimates before then indicated growth. What the final numbers will be when the 2020 census is actually conducted and through, who knows, but my guess is that it will be overall a small increase.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:05 PM

210 posts, read 565,565 times
I was born in Melrose Park and have lived in Chicago/suburbs most of my life. I also lived near Fort Lauderdale for a few years. I'd like to go away for a few years, preferable somewhere warm, but I don't know if I could be away forever. I see you're a fan of Miami, but Miami is far from perfect: low wages, little job opportunity (other than low wage industry/tourism), unfriendly and superficial people, etc. Though I love the beach vibe, weather, and Cuban influence (but my parents are Cuban, so I'm biased).

Old 12-10-2015, 09:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default I included the source of the info in my link...

Quote:
...argue with those figures?

I got my data from the link at NIU, which I included.

What's your your source?

Old 12-10-2015, 10:21 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I got my data from the link at NIU, which I included.

What's your your source?
He mentioned it right away. The US Census Bureau, which is the official source for population in the United States.

Quote:
Since he didn't do it, here's a link. The table for both the 2000 and 2010 Decennial Census is DP-1 (SF1 100% Data).
http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/n...es/index.xhtml

There's actually a few things going on here.
1) The link you provided from NIU, which is merely looking at Census data is looking at only the change from 2013 to 2014. Both of these years from the Census department are estimates. The thing they did that is a little frightening, is that they are comparing counts across states instead of percentages. This is an extremely amateurish thing to do. Regardless of that, yes Illinois was estimated to have lost population. I also have to add out that NIU used the wrong data set. They used the 5 year ACS as far as I can see, but according to the Census (https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...estimates.html), the 1 year ACS is best used for very large populations, which would be state level. When using that, we actually see that West Virginia lost more people than Illinois. Still sucks no matter how you dice it.

2) Looking at the Census data for the official numbers (Decennial census), which are 2000 and 2010, the numbers for Illinois are not great. However, they are not the worst. The percent change between 2000 and 2010 is actually 9th worst. The following states had lower percentage changes than Illinois (in order): Michigan, Rhode Island, Louisiana, Ohio, New York, West Virginia, Vermont, and Massachusetts. Pennyslvania was also almost nearly tied with Illinois (only 0.12%).

- Now, since NIU used 2014 data, we could too. The percent change between 2000 to 2014 (ACS 1 year) for Illinois comes in at 6th worst with Michigan, Rhode Island, Ohio, West Virginia, and Vermont having lower rates (and Louisiana, New York, and Pennsylvania having rates less than 0.50% higher than Illinois - Maine just above that).

- If you were to take the percent change from 2010 to 2014 now, also using ACS 1 year for 2014 numbers, then Illinois again ranks 6th worst with West Virginia, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Michigan all worse (Ohio, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Mississippi, Wisconsin, Missouri, and New Mexico are all less than 1% ahead).

Last edited by marothisu; 12-10-2015 at 11:30 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 01:48 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Go ahead, play games with percentages, NIU has no reason to engage in such foolishness:

Quote:
U.S. Census Bureau data shows Illinois had nearly 10,000 fewer residents in 2014 than in the previous year – the largest numerical decline of any state in the nation and the first statewide population dip since the mid-1980s.
Same story was reported by WQAD -- Illinois sees greatest population loss of any state | WQAD.com

heck even West Virginia acknowledges that the NUMBERS are worse for Illinois -- Charleston Gazette-Mail | W.Va. losing population faster than any other state
Quote:
Illinois lost about three times as many people as West Virginia
Bloomberg lays out PRECISELY why a shrinking population is especially troubling -- Chicago
Quote:
The loss means fewer federal dollars for Chicago as the next mayor confronts budget and city-worker pension deficits...farther-out suburbs offer cheaper housing and better schools

Old 12-11-2015, 04:38 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,681 times
Yes, I know a number of people who have left Chicago, but it has been over a number of years as opposed to a sudden mass exodus. The people I know have gone mostly east, south, or southwest mainly for job opportunities, a better standard of living, and/or to be closer to other family members.

Of the people I know now who would like to move, myself included, there are other reasons. I was born and raised here. I love the city, but when I dig into what I love about the city, it's more nostalgic then a current love. I could go into further details, but to sum it up, if I was living somewhere else and needed to relocate, I would probably skip moving to Chicago.

I thought I would never ever say that.

I have been to many cities across the country. At one point, I used to say, "Love your city, but Chicago is the best!" I've noticed for a few years now, I will visit a place and wonder, "hmmm, I wonder how much it costs to live here? Home costs? Jobs available? I'll have to do some research..." I'm trying to convince DH to make the move, but he's not ready.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:01 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Mod cut.

For the change in population from 2000 to 2010 for Illinois, it is #42 in percentage. However, if we merely use raw counts instead (like you are basically advocating for), then Illinois is actually #16 (counting DC). For the change from 2000 to 2014, Illinois comes in at #46 when using percentages, but if we just use raw numbers (again, as you're basically advocating), Illinois is then #23. For 2010 to 2014, Illinois is again #46, but using raw counts Illinois in that case is #37.

Let's take a really simple example from the difference between 2000 and 2010. Illinois gained more people than Oregon in that time period, by 1664 people to be exact according to the decennial census. However, Oregon's population is much lower than Illinois - 8,999,558 people to be exact. Illinois has a population that is 3.35 times higher than Oregon. This means that the percent change for Oregon is actually going to be much higher than Illinois, even though Illinois gained more people in the raw. Actually, the percent change for Oregon in population between 2000 and 2010 is 3.62X higher than Illinois even though Illinois gained more people. There are 24 states with a lower population than Oregon which means that they could all gain less people than Illinois but still have much higher percent gains further lowering Illinois' rank in that regard.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-12-2015 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago