Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,978,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
It's obvious that many Chicago posters on this board aren't fans of San Francisco.

For what it's worth, Chicago is nothing like SF, so you can calm down and relax. Chicago's more like a huge version of Minneapolis with much ruder people.
Exactly, I am just pointing out that Chicago on the north side is nothing like San Francisco.

" If a man ever reflected a city, it was Richard J Daley and Chicago. In some ways, he was this town at its best: strong hard working, driving, working feverishly, pushing, building, driven by ambitions so big they seemed Texas boastful.

In other ways, he was this city at its worst: arrogant, crude, conniving, ruthless, suspicious, intolerant.

He wasn't graceful, suave, witty, or smooth. But then, this is not Paris or San Francisco."-Mike Royko 1971

Even Mike Royko acknowledged SF was simply a cut above, back in 1971. The gap has only widened since then.

Northside Chicago is more on Minneapolis' s level. Urban, clean, white collar, and middle Americana. Sunday football, apple pie, neighborhood taverns, and what not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 10:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,217,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It's a slap in the face to Chicago to compare it to Minneapolis. Minneapolis is nothing like Chicago. Chicago is an entity unto itself and doesn't need comparisons to rather mediocre cities like SF and Minneapolis.
If Chicago was truly superior, it wouldn't be intimidated by cities like Minneapolis and SF. If it feels that being compared to Minneapolis is a "slap in the face," perhaps it should check its over-inflated ego.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 PM

48 posts, read 101,629 times
Quote:
It's obvious that many Chicago posters on this board aren't fans of San Francisco.

For what it's worth, Chicago is nothing like SF, so you can calm down and relax. Chicago's more like a huge version of Minneapolis with much ruder people.
Many people on this board are fans of SF, as I've seen written here for years. SF is like any other city, it has its share of warts, it's certainly no utopia.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Exactly, I am just pointing out that Chicago on the north side is nothing like San Francisco.

" If a man ever reflected a city, it was Richard J Daley and Chicago. In some ways, he was this town at its best: strong hard working, driving, working feverishly, pushing, building, driven by ambitions so big they seemed Texas boastful.

In other ways, he was this city at its worst: arrogant, crude, conniving, ruthless, suspicious, intolerant.

He wasn't graceful, suave, witty, or smooth. But then, this is not Paris or San Francisco."-Mike Royko 1971

Even Mike Royko acknowledged SF was simply a cut above, back in 1971. The gap has only widened since then.

Northside Chicago is more on Minneapolis' s level. Urban, clean, white collar, and middle Americana. Sunday football, apple pie, neighborhood taverns, and what not.
Agreed. I lived in Chicago for 2 years and it felt nothing even remotely like San Francisco. In my experience, most Chicagoans are insecure, defensive and rude. People in San Francisco don't act like that because they know that they live in an internationally desirable city that doesn't have a bone to pick or something to prove.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:40 PM

48 posts, read 101,629 times
Quote:
Agreed. I lived in Chicago for 2 years and it felt nothing even remotely like San Francisco. In my experience, most Chicagoans are insecure, defensive and rude. People in San Francisco don't act like that because they know that they live in an internationally desirable city that doesn't have a bone to pick or something to prove.
Nice to generalize 'most' Chicagoans--if all these people are so insecure, defensive and rude it's probably their reaction to you.

So if SF is so great, why are you in Denver? If there ever was a city to be compared to Minneapolis...

Old 01-02-2016, 11:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,119,296 times
Quote:
If Chicago was truly superior, it wouldn't be intimidated by cities like Minneapolis and SF. If it feels that being compared to Minneapolis is a "slap in the face," perhaps it should check its over-inflated ego.
You're giving me too much credit. I'm not even from Chicago nor have I ever lived in Chicago. I think Chicago has some major issues including an ineffective governor and a fiscal nightmare. If they don't get their crap straightened out and soon it won't bode well for Chicago. But I can also see how it is still, really, better than places like San Francisco. And nothing against Minneapolis but anyone with a brain can appreciate how Chicago and Minneapolis are in different leagues.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:04 AM

2,438 posts, read 3,313,374 times
I'm a native Chicagoan...who, after 20 years abroad, returned to the States. No I didn't return to Chicago, but to Gary Indiana (where Chicago should have been located). I can see Chicago from my neighborhood...but am glad I am not living there.

But still, I chose to return to the Chicagoland metro area....it's more of less the Navel of the North American continent.....so sure, it has good days ahead of it...especially Gary.... Mark my word! And in 5/10 years when Gary gets its mojo back....Chicago will only benefit...a thriving Milwaukee to the North, a resurgent Gary to the South....unstoppable.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:08 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,256,907 times
Quote:

In other words..... "The City of Big Shoulders". Chicago STILL IS. SF of the 60s 70s was a UNIQUE city it was Gay Town before it was .... at least ok. It was the Motown of the west. Folk-Rock and off on LSD....

Chicago WAS in its low period.... after the VAST WHITE-FLIGHT and RACIAL TURMOIL.... still continuing and from the 68' Convention Riot. Downtown got "Big John"(John Hancock), Big "Standard Oil" and Big "Sears" on 74'. The "Big Shoulders" anchor of Downtown was laid.... But already the Loop lost its Luster. It was becoming like "Times Square of the 70s. XXX movies shown and skin shops. Yet Corporate America.... DID NOT ABANDON IT. But the Middle-Class did.

But the 80s began the turnaround. The 90s began to erase the declines. The 2000's Revealed a New City of Broad Shoulders.... not afraid to show its rising sophisticated and NOW DRESSES IN ITS BEST..... Not merely work-clothes but Out on the Town Finest too...

Nothing wrong with your North-side assessments. FOR A CHANGE.... NOT DECAYING, DECLINING AND IN THE TRASH HEAP... You generally through most o the city.

Yes the city WAS/IS All them Men of renown to .... brash and brawn. But today.... THE CORE OF CHICAGO ...CAN, DOES AND WILL CONTINUE... To be able to Stand with the BEST OF THEM.

TOURIST ENJOY IT.... HAVE EXPECTATIONS SURPASSED... and It now is getting International investment it lacked..... So you can.... remain in your... low regards for the city... it surly still has its problems.... BUT A STUNNING AND VIBRANT CORE.... IS ITS STRENGTH... Weather.... never will... sadly.

You can chastise it merely Minneapolis level.... all you want.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:40 AM

672 posts, read 750,967 times
Quote:

Wishing it don't make it true, even if Mike Royko says it. I guess SF is great if you're in tech, though.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River North View Post
Nice to generalize 'most' Chicagoans--if all these people are so insecure, defensive and rude it's probably their reaction to you.

So if SF is so great, why are you in Denver? If there ever was a city to be compared to Minneapolis...
You're right... I shouldn't generalize. I met some truly sincere, awesome people in Chicago. But, overall, I found the people to be what I described above (just read through posts on this board for prime examples). I'm glad that some people love living in Chicago so much, but I don't understand all of the disparaging comments about SF, an extremely successful and economically booming city (I'm not referring to you here).

I'd love to live in San Francisco, but finances don't permit it. Perhaps one day if I win the lottery, ha. For now, I'm happy in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago