Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 02:12 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I knew that was gonna happen, the week right before they changed over. I have been fortunate that at least this person found me some bags.. but I did not accept her "we ran out of the white plastic bags" also I HATE THESE THICK BIG white plastic bags, because they take up too much room in my cabinet where I keep bags when I want to take my lunch to work, the other bag were just fine!!!

I wanted to know if this is just in Chicago or suburbs too ... I notice other stores still use the right size bag, not these stupid thick large plastic bags. the reason I hate them is that they pack them too full and they are too unmanageable to carry.
Too true. And I've noticed the baggers haven't figured out how to pack the bigger bags without destroying fragile items like bread and tomatoes. Nothing like getting home and discovering your brand new package of hot dog buns has been completely smashed. Grr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 05:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Too true. And I've noticed the baggers haven't figured out how to pack the bigger bags without destroying fragile items like bread and tomatoes. Nothing like getting home and discovering your brand new package of hot dog buns has been completely smashed. Grr.
i feel your pain .. i really do

If you want to, you might want to check out Peapod. its about the same cost as Jewel and they have the best produce and meat. The flavor and juiciness of Peapod meat items even tastes different, compared to jewel, Jewel is like mediocre. Produce is fresh and excellent. ok i do not work for Peapod but used them a lot of times when i didn't feel like going out in the cold to shop. and they bring it up to your kitchen and put it where you want. now no worry over stupid bags from Jewel! if you want to check them out, get a smaller order of food and check em out.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Use reusable grocery bags. No plastic or paper bags needed. I bring my own bags all the time.
You can even use insulated ones for the things you want to keep cold.

Reusable Shopping Bags | Sturdy, Stylish, Eco-Friendly

Insulated Grocery Bag | Totes & Market Baskets | Reuseit
Amazon.com: 3 Insulated Aqua Color Tote Bags + Reusable Grocery Tote Bag 6 Pack Combo: Reusable Shopping Bags: Kitchen & Dining

Old 12-23-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Use reusable grocery bags. No plastic or paper bags needed. I bring my own bags all the time.
You can even use insulated ones for the things you want to keep cold.

Reusable Shopping Bags | Sturdy, Stylish, Eco-Friendly

Insulated Grocery Bag | Totes & Market Baskets | Reuseit
Amazon.com: 3 Insulated Aqua Color Tote Bags + Reusable Grocery Tote Bag 6 Pack Combo: Reusable Shopping Bags: Kitchen & Dining
Thank you - i wish i could find a place to buy some of the old Jewel smaller plastic bags that they used to have till whenever this stupid "green" stupid idea took place. They were good to bring lunch at work, and then would not have to tote them back and forth. With the re-usable ones, you cannot put meat or food that would melt and then sit as residue inside the bag and then you put fresh produce in that same bag that you will not cook.. i dont think it is sanitary and why do i want to spend my time washing out bags when the Jewel needs to provide them but not with this new thick too-big bag that SUCKS!!!! and i see im not the only one who hates them.

i also refuse to buy those stupid 10 cents or whatever they cost bags.. and the big paper ones are hard to handle and dont have a strap to hold onto them if you have to carry your groceries.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:23 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Thank you - i wish i could find a place to buy some of the old Jewel smaller plastic bags that they used to have till whenever this stupid "green" stupid idea took place. They were good to bring lunch at work, and then would not have to tote them back and forth. With the re-usable ones, you cannot put meat or food that would melt and then sit as residue inside the bag and then you put fresh produce in that same bag that you will not cook.. i dont think it is sanitary and why do i want to spend my time washing out bags when the Jewel needs to provide them but not with this new thick too-big bag that SUCKS!!!! and i see im not the only one who hates them.

i also refuse to buy those stupid 10 cents or whatever they cost bags.. and the big paper ones are hard to handle and dont have a strap to hold onto them if you have to carry your groceries.
Use a separate bag for meats or fish. And wash the bags frequently. I don't buy much meat or fish, so I don't worry about that.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:54 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
i feel your pain .. i really do

If you want to, you might want to check out Peapod. its about the same cost as Jewel and they have the best produce and meat. The flavor and juiciness of Peapod meat items even tastes different, compared to jewel, Jewel is like mediocre. Produce is fresh and excellent. ok i do not work for Peapod but used them a lot of times when i didn't feel like going out in the cold to shop. and they bring it up to your kitchen and put it where you want. now no worry over stupid bags from Jewel! if you want to check them out, get a smaller order of food and check em out.
Nah. I enjoy grocery shopping too much to let someone else do it for me. I alternate between Mariano's and Strack & Van Til. Of course, when foul weather ensues I might sing a different tune!

Old 12-24-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Nah. I enjoy grocery shopping too much to let someone else do it for me. I alternate between Mariano's and Strack & Van Til. Of course, when foul weather ensues I might sing a different tune!

I am not close to Marianos but i suspect they might have as good produce and meat as Peapod,, i will have to try it.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:24 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:

Re-usable grocery bags such as these: are very durable, are washable and are easier to carry lots of stuff. Way better carrying 3 or 4 of these than trying to carry 10+ plastic bags or fragile paper bags.

I never paid for any of the 3 that I use. I have one very large one and 2 smaller ones You get bags like these given away at festivals, as a new hire to a job, sporting events, etc.

On another note, I prefer Kroger over Jewel

Old 12-24-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Re-usable grocery bags such as these: are very durable, are washable and are easier to carry lots of stuff. Way better carrying 3 or 4 of these than trying to carry 10+ plastic bags or fragile paper bags.

I never paid for any of the 3 that I use. I have one very large one and 2 smaller ones You get bags like these given away at festivals, as a new hire to a job, sporting events, etc.

On another note, I prefer Kroger over Jewel
thank you kindly, but i want the old plastic bags because i reuse them and they were perfect for taking on the bus without such a large bag, though nice, but i still like the old plastic.

Anyhoo, today i went to a Jewel in the suburbs and they HAD THE OLD BAGS. so this must just be a chicago store thing. I was so HAPPY !!! like old times.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:42 PM

217 posts, read 581,334 times
Cant wait for Jewel to go under so a Berkots or Marianos can open in its place! Jewels meat selection is laughable..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago