Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Yes it's possible but it depends on where you are looking and what your budget is. If you're looking downtown or in some other north side neighborhoods like a Lincoln Park or Lakeview, things can go pretty quickly. My suggest is to not waste any time in looking if you will be looking in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 04:31 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaUSA View Post
And please can you say me: what the safest neighborhoods in Chicago? Sure, I read a lot of in Google, but I want to hear what real people will advice. As I understood best location for living and going to Downtown for work by subway is Lincoln Park/Lakeview, Bucktown/Wicker Park, Hyde Park, River North, Roscoe Village. Am I right?
The safest neighborhoods in Chicago are the suburbanesque neighborhoods in the far northwest corner of the city. They might not be the most ideal for commuting downtown, however, unless you can find something pretty close to a Metra stop.

The best balance between safety and commutability would be pretty much the neighborhoods you listed... although keep in mind that those neighborhoods are among the most expensive for housing.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:25 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Not at all clear what your goal is ...

Quote:
Hello everybody! I will move to Chicago in February and I booked a room for 3 days by Airbnb.
I hope to find a room for long-term within 3 days. Is it possible?
What sites can you recommend?
I know about craiglist - but I doubt, that nobody cheated by me there.
I know else Roomster, Easyroomate.
What site is better for rent a room?
And please can you say me: what the safest neighborhoods in Chicago? Sure, I read a lot of in Google, but I want to hear what real people will advice. As I understood best location for living and going to Downtown for work by subway is Lincoln Park/Lakeview, Bucktown/Wicker Park, Hyde Park, River North, Roscoe Village. Am I right?
Thank you very much for answers in advance

If you have a job lined up why not rent your own apartment?

If you don't have a job lined up it would be MADNESS to move to Chicago in February!

Do you have any friends that already live in / near Chicago? It is kind of nutty to expect to arrive someplace without a job or friends in what is typically the worst weather Chicago experiences and magically find some swell roommate...

There is no "subway" that connects Hyde Park to "downtown" and the public transit options that link the other neighborhoods vary from "great" to "meh". It is generally the case that neighborhoods served by the Red Line north of the Loop have been more desirable because of the 24 hr service -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Line_(CTA) as the level of crime that was once a hotspot near the Blue Line stops west of the Gold Coast has subsided that route has also become more popular -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Line_(CTA)

The areas served by the Brown Line are not as popular with folks that need / want 24hr lifestyle, though places like Roscoe Village and similar neighborhoods are attractive to families -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Line_(CTA)

If the lowest levels of crime are really important to you then living in neighborhood that is quieter would be an option, the relative cost of studio apartments is probably cheaper in such areas too...

Old 12-30-2015, 11:35 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
It's definitely not cheap to live in Chicago. I was looking in that area last year and a crappy 1br was over $1000 a month.
A $1,000 a month one bedroom in the core of a major metro area is pretty reasonable. I don't know where you're moving from, but I think you need to adjust your standards.

Even in nowheresville USA you're paying at least $700 for a decent one bedroom.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Love the pricing.
Those are pretty reasonable prices. $425 for lake view is what you pay to live with an alcoholic in nowheresville, MI, isn't it?

Old 12-31-2015, 02:48 AM

26 posts, read 21,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you have a job lined up why not rent your own apartment?

If you don't have a job lined up it would be MADNESS to move to Chicago in February!

Do you have any friends that already live in / near Chicago? It is kind of nutty to expect to arrive someplace without a job or friends in what is typically the worst weather Chicago experiences and magically find some swell roommate...

There is no "subway" that connects Hyde Park to "downtown" and the public transit options that link the other neighborhoods vary from "great" to "meh". It is generally the case that neighborhoods served by the Red Line north of the Loop have been more desirable because of the 24 hr service -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Line_(CTA) as the level of crime that was once a hotspot near the Blue Line stops west of the Gold Coast has subsided that route has also become more popular -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Line_(CTA)

The areas served by the Brown Line are not as popular with folks that need / want 24hr lifestyle, though places like Roscoe Village and similar neighborhoods are attractive to families -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Line_(CTA)

If the lowest levels of crime are really important to you then living in neighborhood that is quieter would be an option, the relative cost of studio apartments is probably cheaper in such areas too...

Thank you for detailed information about public transit.
I don't have a job in Chicago yet. But I am going to find it as soon as possible)) I can find a job very quickly- I am not picky
No, I don't have a friends there as well. That's why I am here On this forum- to ask your advice about finding a room for rent.
I can't rent an apartment or something like this, because I don't have a credit history and nobody will rent an apartment to me . I am going to USA from other country.

Again- if somebody can give me an advice about renting a room in Chicago- I will be appreciate !
Thanks everybody for answers

Old 12-31-2015, 10:57 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
For goodness sake, please be smart about this -- https://www.fbi.gov/chicago/press-re...king-operation

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us

Old 12-31-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Thank you for detailed information about public transit.
I don't have a job in Chicago yet. But I am going to find it as soon as possible)) I can find a job very quickly- I am not picky
No, I don't have a friends there as well. That's why I am here On this forum- to ask your advice about finding a room for rent.
I can't rent an apartment or something like this, because I don't have a credit history and nobody will rent an apartment to me . I am going to USA from other country.

Again- if somebody can give me an advice about renting a room in Chicago- I will be appreciate !
Thanks everybody for answers
You never said that you were immigrating. That severely limits your options.

First things first, you will need to have money because most people will not rent to you if you don't have a job and almost nobody will rent to you if you don't have a job or savings and no credit. You don't need credit because there are companies that will consign for you in exchange for a month rent, but that isn't applicable to renting a room.

Second, yes, it is entirely possible to get a place in 3 days, but individual landlords are more discerning because they have to live with you. Some, however, just care that you can pay rent. It's somewhat tricky to move in within 3 days because of scheduling and paperwork, not impossible though. A week is a more realistic timeframe.

Third, if you are coming here for school then you can live on campus; if you are moving for work then, well you aren't so that doesn't matter.

Roommate finder is a good site, but they are similar sites out there that you can google for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Lol.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:36 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Those are pretty reasonable prices. $425 for lake view is what you pay to live with an alcoholic in nowheresville, MI, isn't it?
I don't think you can get an unsubsidized $425 one bedroom anywhere in the U.S. these days.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't think you can get an unsubsidized $425 one bedroom anywhere in the U.S. these days.
Who said anything about a one bedroom? The ad I saw and referenced was for a bedroom, i.e.: shared apartment, not a one bedroom.

You might though, be able to get a one bedroom for that price out in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago