Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:42 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't think you can get an unsubsidized $425 one bedroom anywhere in the U.S. these days.
It's still possible in Cleveland... However, at that price you can't be too picky about neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 12:57 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Who said anything about a one bedroom? The ad I saw and referenced was for a bedroom, i.e.: shared apartment, not a one bedroom.
Then the OP should have no problem. If you just want a bed, then you can probably get a place for $425 even in NYC or SF, so I'm sure it's available in Chicago. Just finding a place to crash should be pretty cheap. Someone will rent you a bed.

I know some kids living in a loft in Brooklyn and paying about $500 each. But they only have a bed. I think I paid about $500 for a room in Upper Manhattan for a few months about 10 years ago. You can find something similar in any city.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:33 PM

26 posts, read 21,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Thanks for good links I know all laws about work permit. I am not going to work illegaly

Last edited by EllaUSA; 12-31-2015 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You never said that you were immigrating. That severely limits your options.

First things first, you will need to have money because most people will not rent to you if you don't have a job and almost nobody will rent to you if you don't have a job or savings and no credit. You don't need credit because there are companies that will consign for you in exchange for a month rent, but that isn't applicable to renting a room.

Second, yes, it is entirely possible to get a place in 3 days, but individual landlords are more discerning because they have to live with you. Some, however, just care that you can pay rent. It's somewhat tricky to move in within 3 days because of scheduling and paperwork, not impossible though. A week is a more realistic timeframe.

Third, if you are coming here for school then you can live on campus; if you are moving for work then, well you aren't so that doesn't matter.

Roommate finder is a good site, but they are similar sites out there that you can google for.

Lol.

Thanks for good answer.
Do you really think that it can take more time than 3 days? (paperwork). That's bad. I just thought that renting room is much easier that apartment.
I am coming not for school, I am coming for work.

Thanks for advice about Roomate finder.
I googled a lot of sites, include groups on Facebook.
But one thought came to my mind right now. Maybe start to communicate with people, who rent out before coming (maybe in advance- a week), and schedule an appointment,, when I will arrive? Is it possible? I already have an airplane ticket,

Old 12-31-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Then the OP should have no problem. If you just want a bed, then you can probably get a place for $425 even in NYC or SF, so I'm sure it's available in Chicago. Just finding a place to crash should be pretty cheap. Someone will rent you a bed.

I know some kids living in a loft in Brooklyn and paying about $500 each. But they only have a bed. I think I paid about $500 for a room in Upper Manhattan for a few months about 10 years ago. You can find something similar in any city.
I googled hostels in NY - the price for one bed for month is about $400. I am planning to rent a room in Chicago for 500-600 (with deposit-the month payment) where safe, maybe in Lakeview (but I know that the room there can be very expensive)
Is it possible? What do you think?

That's why I chose Chicago for moving especially in February- not much competition for room, I suppose.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:35 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Did you win a green card, or are you coming here without anything? If so, then it would be much harder than just moving within the US or moving with a visa/green card. It's probably going to take more time for some places unless you have a lot of cash and can prove it, or you move to a more immigrant oriented neighborhood and find landlords who don't care about where you're coming from.

Maybe start with areas like Albany Park, Avondale, Portage Park, Pilsen, Irving Park, West Ridge/West Rogers Park, etc that would be more sympathetic to renting you something as long as you have the money, even if you don't have a job yet. These types of areas are ones where the prices are lower, relatively in the city but at the same time not too dangerous (Albany Park and Pilsen has some gang stuff in a few areas, but it's not too bad). The Belmont Avenue/Central Avenue area of Belmont-Cragin also has a nice concentration of Europeans in a small area (mainly Polish and some eastern European). The rest of that area is mainly Hispanic though. It's not right off a train line, but Belmont Avenue has a bus that runs 24/7 that links up with another train line that runs 24/7 (Blue Line). All of these are on at least one train line or not far from one, but some are big so it depends on where you live. Other neighborhoods to try might also be ones like Archer Heights, West Elsdon, West Lawn, Clearing, etc on the SW side. Not as good of public transit down there, but the Orange Line train does run a few stops down there in some of the neighborhoods.

If you won a green card and are coming here because of that, then you might be able to find stuff easier in a few other neighborhoods too.

I suspect though in this case it could take you longer than 3 days, but you never know. Be careful as well as there's a lot of weirdos out there if you plan on renting a room with others.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-31-2015 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Did you win a green card, or are you coming here without anything? If so, then it would be much harder than just moving within the US or moving with a visa/green card. It's probably going to take more time for some places unless you have a lot of cash and can prove it, or you move to a more immigrant oriented neighborhood and find landlords who don't care about where you're coming from.

Maybe start with areas like Albany Park, Avondale, Portage Park, Pilsen, Irving Park, West Ridge/West Rogers Park, etc that would be more sympathetic to renting you something as long as you have the money, even if you don't have a job yet. These types of areas are ones where the prices are lower, relatively in the city but at the same time not too dangerous (Albany Park and Pilsen has some gang stuff in a few areas, but it's not too bad). The Belmont Avenue/Central Avenue area of Belmont-Cragin also has a nice concentration of Europeans in a small area (mainly Polish and some eastern European). The rest of that area is mainly Hispanic though. It's not right off a train line, but Belmont Avenue has a bus that runs 24/7 that links up with another train line that runs 24/7 (Blue Line). All of these are on at least one train line or not far from one, but some are big so it depends on where you live. Other neighborhoods to try might also be ones like Archer Heights, West Elsdon, West Lawn, Clearing, etc on the SW side. Not as good of public transit down there, but the Orange Line train does run a few stops down there in some of the neighborhoods.

If you won a green card and are coming here because of that, then you might be able to find stuff easier in a few other neighborhoods too.

I suspect though in this case it could take you longer than 3 days, but you never know. Be careful as well as there's a lot of weirdos out there if you plan on renting a room with others.
Thanks for the answer.
I am from Russia.

I saw on the map Albany Park, Avondale, Portage Park, Pilsen, Irving Park, West Ridge/West Rogers Park, and it seems safe to me. But I am afraid a little bit about gang stuff, in that case I will exclude Albany Park and Pilsen.

What about Archer Heights, West Elsdon, West Lawn, Clearing- to be honest I am afraid to move there to live alone, because I read a lot of about these areas in internet and it is dangerous, I think.
What did you mean when you said "weirdos out", maybe bad people?
Yeah, I am very carefull, and I hope to find a private room, not share room with others.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:08 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaUSA View Post
But I am afraid a little bit about gang stuff, in that case I will exclude Albany Park and Pilsen.
They are big areas and it's not a lot of gang activity compared to other dangerous parts of town. Albany Park is probably about the most diverse part of the city too - you'll find pretty much everyone living there. I wouldn't be afraid, but that's just me. Many immigrants live in this area (and a few of the surrounding areas like West Ridge/West Rogers Park - many Indians, Pakistanis, Syrians, and also orhthodox Jews in this area) from all over the world.

I wouldn't exclude them but that's just me. Portage Park, Avondale and the Belmont/Central area have a number of Polish people living there for example, though maybe others (I have met some from Russia living in both of these areas too).

These are big areas though, so if you need access to a train line, it really depends on where you are. You could be within walking distance to one or you could be a ways away and need a bus to get to a train stop. You might want to look at parts of Jefferson Park or Norwood Park too near the Blue Line train (Jefferson Park and Harlem stops - probably look south of the Harlem stop, not north) Some of these areas are a big sleepier with business and whatever, but might share a few similarities with some parts of other neighborhoods I mentioned.

If I were you and wanted a walkable area close to the train, I'd probably focus on Albany Park, Avondale, and Irving Park, but as close to the train as I could. You must understand that many of the bus lines in Chicago do not run 24/7, except a few (Belmont Avenue and Lawrence Avenue bus routes do run 24/7). You might include Portage Park in that close to the Montrose Blue Line stop.

Quote:
What about Archer Heights, West Elsdon, West Lawn, Clearing- to be honest I am afraid to move there to live alone, because I read a lot of about these areas in internet and it is dangerous, I think.
These areas are not that dangerous. It is a myth that all of the south side is dangerous - some parts definitely are but there's actually a number of areas that are mostly OK - though a few of them like West Lawn might border more dangerous neighborhoods than the previous ones I listed. I would suggest the other ones (i.e. Albany Park, Irving Park, Avondale, etc) over these only because they have better access to the train and are generally more walkable.

Quote:
What did you mean when you said "weirdos out", maybe bad people?
Yeah, I am very carefull, and I hope to find a private room, not share room with others.
It just means that some people are weird - be careful about who is your roommate. By roommate, we mean sharing an apartment with others, not the bedroom itself.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-01-2016 at 03:21 AM..

Old 01-01-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
They are big areas and it's not a lot of gang activity compared to other dangerous parts of town. Albany Park is probably about the most diverse part of the city too - you'll find pretty much everyone living there. I wouldn't be afraid, but that's just me. Many immigrants live in this area (and a few of the surrounding areas like West Ridge/West Rogers Park - many Indians, Pakistanis, Syrians, and also orhthodox Jews in this area) from all over the world.

It just means that some people are weird - be careful about who is your roommate. By roommate, we mean sharing an apartment with others, not the bedroom itself.
Ok, thank you very much for good help- very detailed answers. I really appreciate it. Your answers are very helpful.
I think to find as roommates maybe young female students, I don't think that they can do something bad. I hope it.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:43 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaUSA View Post
Thanks for good answer.
Do you really think that it can take more time than 3 days? (paperwork). That's bad. I just thought that renting room is much easier that apartment.
I am coming not for school, I am coming for work.

Thanks for advice about Roomate finder.
I googled a lot of sites, include groups on Facebook.
But one thought came to my mind right now. Maybe start to communicate with people, who rent out before coming (maybe in advance- a week), and schedule an appointment,, when I will arrive? Is it possible? I already have an airplane ticket,
Renting a room is easier than renting an apartment, but since you would be living with ths person you are renting from they will want to make sure that you and they are compatible. Someone that parties and is loud at night won't be a good fit for someone that has to get up earlier. Someone that is very neat won't be a good fit for someone that is very messy, etc.

By paperwork, I mean they will usually run a credit check and background check. A background check will take more time because you are not from the USA, but even if you were the background check takes a few days to complete and the landlord may not be able to run the check for a day or two after you apply. Again though, much of this depends on the individual landlord.

You say you are coming for work, but that you don't have a job yet, but how is this possible? The USA is not an easy country to move to and just start working, particularly if you are from Russia. Did you get lucky and have a work visa approved? I only ask because my mom is from Russia, so I know how difficult it is to even get a visitor visa for my cousin, and a work visa is all but impossible. Congratulations whatever the case may be.

It would be a good idea to email landlords before you get here so that you have a head start and have at least some options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago