Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:41 AM

846 posts, read 1,391,533 times

Advertisements

Yelp would be a great place to ask this question too. I would move here over Seattle over my own preferences in terms of things to do/affordability, but that's me. I've lived in the Pacific NW for a good portion of my life. It's all about personal preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 11:19 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,910,467 times
Seattle's natural beauty is nicer than Chicago, but Chicago is better than Seattle. Since you seem to be an outdoorsy person, I would recommend Chicago and heres why: if youre gonna be stuck in a city and have to do your outdoor activities there, Chicago offers more. There are beaches (Seattles are awful), running and biking trails, etc. Seattle offers those, too, but who really wants to exercise in rain and mist that is seemingly ever-present in winter. True, Chicago gets much colder than Seattle, but that also brings snow, which means you can partake in winter activities that you cant in Seattle (ie cross country skiing). There is more sun in Chicago, too, which does wonders for the mood. There are also lots of "forest preserves" in the suburbs which offer fishing, swimming, etc, in a quiet setting. Some of the forest preserves (ie Waterfall Glen) are downright huge. There is also the Prairie Path bike trail which you can ride all the way out to Iowa if one should choose.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:32 PM

715 posts, read 1,068,242 times
You say you're not crazy outdoor people, so I'm not sure what level you are looking for. Most people who are outdoors people are looking to hike, bike on trails, camp, explore, kayak, and maybe rock climb. They are looking to see nature and scenary. You will easily get that living in the Northwest. I haven't been to Seattle in a number of years, and it was for business, but I recall the locals did travel a little outside of the city to enjoy the outdoors, but did not have to go very far.

Here in Chicago, you can run or bike along the Lakefront Trail and enjoy forest preserves in the area for biking/walking/relaxing. Speaking of running, there's a lot of races that go on in the area year-round also. There's no mountains here, but you can travel to Michigan and Wisconsin to get comparable outdoor adventure and scenery. Many people love the Green Bay Area as well as the UP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago