Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,021 times

Advertisements

I have been reading a bit online about the different sections of Chicago. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for me?

I am a 24 year old musician. I am planning on moving with 3 other people, all males(I am a female), all artists and musicians. We are not sure yet if we will all room together, or how we want to work that out. But, we will have very low incomes, and aren't sure the best way to swing a transition like this.

We figure we'll come for a visit, scope things out, and then return with our belongings after securing our living space. But, there's a lot of ground to cover, and we can't afford to waste time.

To give you an idea of what we are looking for...we all have been living in the Fairmount District of Ft. Worth, TX. All the homes are old, mid 1800's to early 1900's. This area has changed a lot over the past 10 years. There was more crime, much vagrancy(less now, but there are facilities nearby that aid the homeless, so they are around), and things were pretty run down. Now, about half of the homes in this area have been renovated, in keeping with the old style, and look very nice. Some are owned, some are rented as whole houses, or have been converted into duplexes. Some areas seem segregated, some feel safer than others. What we pay for square footage in this area is so far below what we would pay in Chicago, it's hard to imagine how we will adjust to the limited space. We don't want the suburbs. We want to sell our cars and use public transport.

We don't want to be terrified to walk down the street at night, but we also don't need to be sheltered from real life(we are not afraid of homeless people...although crack addicts banging on the door, waving guns around, demanding $2 is a little off putting. Yes, that has happened in this area.). We are used to, enjoy and prefer cultural/ethnic diversity. We love being surrounded by other artists, and have participated in the various art/music/film cooperatives in our area. We also have no idea where we will work, or if wages there reflect the cost of living.

So:

1. Affordable rent
2. Reasonable safety
3. Easy access to public transportation
4. A place to worship and have fellowship with the Body of Christ.
5. Easy access to food markets and thrift/resale shops would be nice, but I imagine it is not difficult to get around to these places, as well as a place of worship.

We are very excited. I am much more green than any of these guys I'm moving with. I have never lived anywhere besides TX in my life, and have not been to Chicago. So, while I look forward to it, I feel a bit overwhelmed.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 PM

27 posts, read 96,045 times
Ha! Another Texan making the jump. I'm down in Huntsville right now, but I'll be moving to Chicago in June after college.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Dallas, TX right here, moving to Chicago in August. Must be something in the water, lol.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:47 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldenison View Post
I have been reading a bit online about the different sections of Chicago. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for me?

I am a 24 year old musician. I am planning on moving with 3 other people, all males(I am a female), all artists and musicians. We are not sure yet if we will all room together, or how we want to work that out. But, we will have very low incomes, and aren't sure the best way to swing a transition like this.

We figure we'll come for a visit, scope things out, and then return with our belongings after securing our living space. But, there's a lot of ground to cover, and we can't afford to waste time.

To give you an idea of what we are looking for...we all have been living in the Fairmount District of Ft. Worth, TX. All the homes are old, mid 1800's to early 1900's. This area has changed a lot over the past 10 years. There was more crime, much vagrancy(less now, but there are facilities nearby that aid the homeless, so they are around), and things were pretty run down. Now, about half of the homes in this area have been renovated, in keeping with the old style, and look very nice. Some are owned, some are rented as whole houses, or have been converted into duplexes. Some areas seem segregated, some feel safer than others. What we pay for square footage in this area is so far below what we would pay in Chicago, it's hard to imagine how we will adjust to the limited space. We don't want the suburbs. We want to sell our cars and use public transport.

We don't want to be terrified to walk down the street at night, but we also don't need to be sheltered from real life(we are not afraid of homeless people...although crack addicts banging on the door, waving guns around, demanding $2 is a little off putting. Yes, that has happened in this area.). We are used to, enjoy and prefer cultural/ethnic diversity. We love being surrounded by other artists, and have participated in the various art/music/film cooperatives in our area. We also have no idea where we will work, or if wages there reflect the cost of living.

So:

1. Affordable rent
2. Reasonable safety
3. Easy access to public transportation
4. A place to worship and have fellowship with the Body of Christ.
5. Easy access to food markets and thrift/resale shops would be nice, but I imagine it is not difficult to get around to these places, as well as a place of worship.

We are very excited. I am much more green than any of these guys I'm moving with. I have never lived anywhere besides TX in my life, and have not been to Chicago. So, while I look forward to it, I feel a bit overwhelmed.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.
You might want to look in Wicker Park or Ukranian Village. Both are hipster artist central at this point in time. UV is cheaper, but has worse access to the "L" (though there are still many buses). Wicker Park is getting ritzier by the day, but still has that funky artsy flavor.

Um, not sure about your fellowship thing... You'll notice northerners are much less enthusiastic about discussing religion publicly than southerners. In fact, it really turns a lot of people off--even those who are regular church goers. Most churches in the city are Catholic or mainline Protestant. Most of the evangelical churches are African-American Baptist Churches, though I'm sure you could probably find whatever you wanted. This is a HUGE city, after all.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I think lookout Kid's suggestions are good ones. Ukrainian Village is definitely cheaper because it's farther from the el, but there are a lot of buses.

I gotta say- this is an expensive city and I while I wish you luck it's hard to eke it out here on a non-professional existence. Even people working salaried jobs have it kind of rough at first.

if you guys are close, maybe you could split a 2 bedroom, that would help keep costs down.

As far as a church, I'd agree with Lookout kid that I have no idea how to help you except to say that I'm sure what you are looking for exists in this city, you'll just have to seek it out.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,021 times
Thanks everyone for responding. All helpful information. My best to those of you moving to Chicago! According to the Chi-town vets, it looks like we have our work cut out for us!

-Lindsey

Old 02-05-2008, 04:24 PM

137 posts, read 202,528 times
You could try Evanston. In Evanston there is a housing dedicated to struggling Musicians, Actors, and Artists. Evanston has a nice arts scene. Mainly because of Northwestern University. You should take a look.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:12 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
It wouldn't be the easiest place in the world, but it's definitely possible. Lots of places are as or more expensive and people make it work. I know actors and musicians who live very cheaply here. As in 250-300 bucks a person a month in rent. You can make it work.
Making the arts work for you takes a little discomfort, but it's totally possible. I've seen it happen.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 PM

287 posts, read 1,028,236 times
You could try the East Village, Logan Square, Albany Park, Uptown, Rogers Park, Pilsen. Safetywise several of those places can be touch and go, so I'd recommend you check them out. It doesn't sound like your sensibilities are too tender that way.

As for churchs I've got nothing unless you're Catholic, sorry.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:31 AM

145 posts, read 643,802 times
Around the office the joke is that the easiest way to get a 30% pay bump is to move to Dallas. Same salary, extremely low cost of living (factoring in real estate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago