Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has already been discussed before! I checked a few pages, but I might have missed it because I didn't see it. If so, I'd be happy to read the other thread instead of wasting your times if you post a link or something to make it easier.

With that said, I'm coming in March for a weekend with friends. We'll most likely be driving from Louisville. We're staying 4 nights actually, so parking for that would be pretty expensive downtown where we're staying. Are there any lots in the burbs or further outside downtown that are safe enough to leave a VW parked for 4 nights and take the L into the city from there? I've thought about just finding street parking somewhere that doesn't have permits, street cleaning, or time limits. Any suggestions on that? Only problem I run into there is making it back to my car for snow removal if it snows which could be a hassle.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 07:49 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Going to the suburbs would be far more of a hassle than it would be worth, and, in addition to that, the L only extends to a handful of suburbs. The vast majority of the system stays within the city limits of Chicago. If you have an idea of a certain neighborhood or area that you plan on visiting outside of downtown, I would consider parking your car on a side street there so you can check up on it. I doubt anything would actually happen to it in a safe neighborhood, but I'd be concerned about checking for a ticket because maybe you didn't see a permit sign or something. I wouldn't worry too much about snow removal or street cleaning, however, as they're both clearly marked, and many side streets aren't even on snow removal routes that require you to move your car. Do keep in mind, however, that if you're planning on visiting a busy lakefront neighborhood that your trouble then becomes finding a close place to the CTA to park your car. I brought a car up to Chicago from St. Louis after Christmas because I was spending NYE in Chicago before heading back to my visit my family afterward, and my "close" parking spot near my apartment in Lakeview was 3.5 blocks away.

This map should help you, but, be warned, it may be out of date. Be sure to look for signs after parking your car.
Chicago residential parking zones map - Chicago Tribune

Old 01-18-2016, 08:11 PM

We definitely plan on staying within the city at all times except when dropping off the car and picking it up again to leave. I found some garages a block from our hotel that would be $100 for all 4 nights. Do you think it's worth the hassle of possible snow removal, getting to/from the car, worrying about street cleaning/time limits, etc.? I've been to Chicago many times, but have never had a car. My only experiences driving in big cities are in LA and SF where I've lived, and both are horrendous for accomplishing what I'm trying to. So am I worrying too much about this in Chicago, or should I be as concerned as I am with those 2 cities on my mind?

The parking permit map definitely helps, but it doesn't show the full story of time limits and other variables. Are there any more inner neighborhoods that are safe with reasonable parking? I'm trying to avoid driving too far north and out of the way. Like for example how is parking in Wicker Park? Logan Square? I already know Wrigleyville and Boystown are horrendous...right? Pilsen?

Old 01-18-2016, 09:22 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
What is the neighborhood you're staying in?

Old 01-18-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
What is the neighborhood you're staying in?
River North

Old 01-19-2016, 05:31 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
I'd pay the $100. You say "We" - split among even 2 people, it's not that much. Definitely better than the alternatives and the time spent worrying about it. If you pick the wrong spot, your ticket could be higher.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:05 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,717 times
Have you tried finding a spot through an app like Spot Hero or Meter Beater?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:33 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
There are several streets that offers free parking in the neighborhood where you don't need zone parking sticker. Can you just park there and take the CTA?

Old 01-19-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I'd pay the $100. You say "We" - split among even 2 people, it's not that much. Definitely better than the alternatives and the time spent worrying about it. If you pick the wrong spot, your ticket could be higher.
That's what I'm thinking. Unless the lots are free, which I'm finding there don't seem to be any that aren't a hassle to get to, the cost will be not much more to park downtown AND we'll be much closer to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Have you tried finding a spot through an app like Spot Hero or Meter Beater?
I called the hotel and asked about parking. The front desk told me to try Spot Hero so that's how I found the $100 garage 1 block away. I'd never heard of that before, so that seems pretty useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
There are several streets that offers free parking in the neighborhood where you don't need zone parking sticker. Can you just park there and take the CTA?
That's what I'm hoping, but there are just so many options of stations to look at. I don't want to be driving around from station to station for hours until we find one with okay street parking nearby. Do you know of any stations in good neighborhoods with easy street parking nearby?

We may just end up parking downtown. Seems like the few dollars saved won't be worth the hassle. I.e. time spent getting to/from the car at the beginning and end of our trip, worries about snow removal, possible missed parking ticket signs, etc.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:38 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Yeah, that's what I would do. River North isn't right next to the Metra stations, so you would need to take CTA, but CTA doesn't go that far out into suburbia, and parking won't be free or plentiful.

Seems like a much bigger hassle to try and find secure/cheap parking in Cicero, Oak Park, or Evanston and then take a train downtown. Just park downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago