Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,519 times

Advertisements

Hi. I will be moving to Chicago in the fall and I was hoping for some advice on where would be the best place to live as a recent college graduate. My office will be downtown so I would like an easy access to public transportation. My salary will be $80K a year. So I will be looking at around $4700 after taxes each month. I am preferably looking for a 1BR apartment for myself. Any tips or suggestions in regards to neighborhoods would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 04:18 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Well now, you should be able to afford any apartment near downtown (north, south, or west of).

Old 01-26-2016, 06:24 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
If you want tons of nightlife, party atmosphere, etc, anywhere around Wrigleyville.
If you want nightlife, etc but a little closer to downtown, Lincoln Park.
If nightlife isn't important or a priority and you prefer to have easy access/walking to everything you need, including work, look downtown/River North area.
With your budget, you'll have a lot of options.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:16 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2016 View Post
Hi. I will be moving to Chicago in the fall and I was hoping for some advice on where would be the best place to live as a recent college graduate. My office will be downtown so I would like an easy access to public transportation. My salary will be $80K a year. So I will be looking at around $4700 after taxes each month. I am preferably looking for a 1BR apartment for myself. Any tips or suggestions in regards to neighborhoods would be most appreciated.
Which part of downtown (an intersection would be helpful)?

What do you want in a neighborhood?

Will you travel much for your job - do you want easier access to O'Hare and/or Midway?

Old 01-26-2016, 09:44 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Look in Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown, East Logan Square or Ukrainian Village.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:02 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
OP, I recommend Lincoln Park mostly. Right where DePaul University is so there are plenty of College Aged/Grad School Aged mid twenty somethings who frequent the bars. Particularly the bars near Fullerton on Lincoln Avenue.

I also recommend Wrigleyville/Lakeview up around Diversey and Sheffield. Bars like Kirkwoods and Sheffields were some of my favorites in my lower 20's.

Try to keep your rent at only about a quarter of your take home pay. You will quickly realize that you will be home a lot less than you expected. Going out is THE fun part of living in the city so you want to be able to afford to do so.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:36 PM

796 posts, read 930,815 times
like others have said, with that salary as a single person,, you can live almost anywhere since you're only looking for a 1BR. so if you find a neighborhood you like, go for it.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 PM

25 posts, read 42,734 times
Anywhere along the blue line between Western and Logan Square. No closer because you won't ever be able to get on a train at rush hour.

And while it's expensive, it's not the worst you could do in the city. So you could save up some money and buy a nice place if you wanted.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:22 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
It's hard to know where to suggest other than just putting a blanket recommendation like most people on here have done. What exactly are you looking for in a neighborhood? What kind of vibe? What is the most per month you want to spend on a place?

Old 01-27-2016, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,519 times
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Which part of downtown (an intersection would be helpful)?

What do you want in a neighborhood?

Will you travel much for your job - do you want easier access to O'Hare and/or Midway?
My work is located at Madison and Clark. However, the majority of the time I will be traveling so I do prefer easier access to O'Hare.

I want a neighborhood that is lively with lots of restaurants, bars and shopping in close proximity. The main plus I see of living in the city is that I don't need to have a car and I could get around either by walking or through public transport.

In terms of budget I am hoping to spend max 30% of my take home income on my housing so around $1410ish. It sounds like Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park are good locations for the lively atmosphere I'm looking for. Does the River North area match this type of atmosphere or is it less lively during the weekends etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago