Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,157 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be visiting Chicago for a couple of days sometime in the next week or two. I have an interview in Wheaton. Are there any recommendations on where to stay in the Chicago area that are close to Wheaton? I'm hoping to move into the Chicago area within the next month or five. Are there any neighborhoods that you would recommend to a young professional with a dog? I'd like to check out a few of the neighborhoods while visiting to get an idea. I won't have a car during this visit but when I come to permanently stay, I will.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 07:54 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
I'm not sure how you can visit Wheaton without a car, to be honest. It's a small, suburban town 25 miles due west of Chicago.

As far as where to live if/when you move to Chicago if you are working Wheaton, you could commute from Chicago's West Loop if you wanted a city life, or if you just wanted an easy commute and a suburban lifestyle you'd probably want to live in Naperville.

For better specifics, I'd suggest posting your question in the Suburbs forum, because while Wheaton is in the Chicagoland area, it is a long way from being part of the city itself.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:33 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkydogster View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll be visiting Chicago for a couple of days sometime in the next week or two. I have an interview in Wheaton. Are there any recommendations on where to stay in the Chicago area that are close to Wheaton? I'm hoping to move into the Chicago area within the next month or five. Are there any neighborhoods that you would recommend to a young professional with a dog? I'd like to check out a few of the neighborhoods while visiting to get an idea. I won't have a car during this visit but when I come to permanently stay, I will.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
One place you could stay that is close to Wheaton:
Wheaton.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:39 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The tricky part for the OP (whose user name strongly suggests they are a pet lover...) is the desire to have a place that would also be comfortable for their dog. If they live alone and will leave the dog in their apartment while at work (as opposed to doggie day care or something...) it would be almost cruel to live in the city -- even assuming the speediest trips to & from work and (getting rarer) 8 hr day that means 10 hours of no walks or playtime...

I would aim for living much closer to work, and that means Wheaton itself or adjacent suburbs like Naperville or Glen Ellyn -- makes more sense to investigate options in those towns if the pet is part of your priorities.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Without a car you won't be able to get from the place you are staying to your job interview. If you stay at a suburban hotel, which there are quite a few, think through how you will get to your interview. There are cabs but they are not terribly plentiful in Wheaton, you would have to call one up to pick you up. There are not hotel options that I am aware of in Wheaton itself, you could try Air bnb. There are some hotels in the surrounding area such as Warrenville you could stay in that are a short drive away. Hotels in Warrenville | Save Up to 74% on Hotels with trivago

If you work in Wheaton, it will be quite difficult to live in the city as the commute is too far.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,157 times
I figured depending on the commute , I would have to find a doggie daycare for the pup or a dogwalker. I thought the Metra/ train went to Wheaton. I'll have to redirect my hotel search, than. I'll check out the West Loop though because I'd prefer a city life. Or maybe Glen Ellyen.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-29-2016, 04:33 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkydogster View Post
I figured depending on the commute , I would have to find a doggie daycare for the pup or a dogwalker. I thought the Metra/ train went to Wheaton. I'll have to redirect my hotel search, than. I'll check out the West Loop though because I'd prefer a city life. Or maybe Glen Ellyen.

Thanks for your help!
Metra does go to Wheaton, but a) it's a 45-55 minute trip depending on the run, b) nearly all suburban Metra stations are designed to be park-and-ride with very few offices near stations. Google Maps transit directions do include Metra, so you can plug in your interview address and see how accessible it is via transit - if you just put "Chicago" is as the starting point it will default to the Loop central business district in Chicago. Unless the office in Wheaton is within a few minutes walk of a station, though, you're unlikely to want to rely on transit for an interview there.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:07 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Another thing to consider about using Metra to commute to Wheaton is you're going against the crowd so the trains aren't as numerous. If you miss your regular train, you could have quite a wait. Union Pacific / West (UP-W) Schedule I would just live in Wheaton or Glen Ellyn for a year to get acquainted with the area.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:18 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
yes the Metra train does go to Wheaton but there is no way to get around Wheaton or surrounding areas unless you have a car. There are many dog walkers or doggie day cares out here.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Wheaton does have some (limited) Pace buses that do technically have routes that might include some of the major workplaces in the area -- TransitMaster WebWatch

I would NOT recommend relying on this for either a quick visit that includes meeting with your potential employer, nor day-to-day commute IF your work performance depends on punctuality, but there is some transit. Typically the transit is most useful to folks in lower level positions that have no ability to afford a personal vehicle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago