Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 01:46 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
River North at shaves off a few bottlenecks, but has relatively few locations with any kind of greenery for dog walking...
There's a very nice, new, dog park on Des Plaines and Kinzie (& Milwaukee) intersection, also a new Jewel very close to there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 01:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
There's a very nice, new, dog park on Des Plaines and Kinzie (& Milwaukee) intersection, also a new Jewel very close to there.
Wouldn't that be River West? And as I recall, the relative congestion in that area is compounded by the layout of railroad tracks that create multiple tie-ups during rush hour, a very frustrating experience even when trying to walk for pleasure, let alone trying to maintain athletic fitness...

Old 02-01-2016, 02:45 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,517 times
All those buildings have workout rooms. The train tracks have never been a problem.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:53 PM

Default There is a "pet friendly" policy at building adjacent to the park...

The "amenities" page for Alta at K station does point out that tenants can have up to two pets, no weight restrictions -- Alta at K Station | Apartment and Community Amenities

I would still recommend daycare to deal with long commutes to / from Wheaton...

Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...that the relative "urban vibe" even a very fit young looking person might experience in various neighborhoods in Chicago can range from "meh" to "I am so annoyed"...
Chet, she is looking at areas where almost the entire population is young and middle-aged professionals. The biggest drawback - other than being very far from Wheaton - is being around too many of them, with little variety.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 AM

Default I think you are closer to my age...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Chet, she is looking at areas where almost the entire population is young and middle-aged professionals. The biggest drawback - other than being very far from Wheaton - is being around too many of them, with little variety.
As I recall your kids are either in college or moved out like mine. That shapes our perspective but I know enough coworkers that are closer to the OP's age that she very well could be annoyed by neighbors that treat even a costly high rise as more of frat house. It is one thing to enjoy a nice healthy jog on the Prairie Path with one's dog and quite another to feel like a cougar surrounded by boys looking to share stories of their conquest with other bros...

Old 02-02-2016, 08:15 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,409,691 times
West Loop, with easy access to the expressway.

That's the best compromise for a trendy part of the city with lots of young professionals, lots of new construction, and the better potential driving commute.

I would recommend visiting the neighborhoods you are considering, and driving at the times of day you would normally be commuting.... just so you know. Our rush hours would add about 20-40 minutes on to a direct commute, on average. And on a bad snow day, it can add 1-2+ hours. Remember, snow is a variable here you are not used to. Those will be very bad days.

What hours will you be working? Are you a faculty with flexible hours, or are you staff that needs to be there 9-5? The 9-5 commute will be very.... bad.... But if you are working longer hours/flexible hours so that you can leave significantly before or after the rush hour, that would help.

What neighborhood in LA is an ideal to you?

Old 02-02-2016, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,478 times
I really appreciate all your comments and recommedations. To clarify, I have one dog and a cat so it's like having one pet. My dog is not a day care dog. She loves chilling on the bed or couch and she's good with 10 or 12 hrs. She's big and controls herself.

To further clarify, I am a Military Officer that would be faculty, but I don't know the hours. I'm sure it's early for PT.

As for where to live, well, I plan on coming there first to look around and get a realtor once I have orders, but I'm looking at condos online. Everyone is right about the snow. I'm not going to like it, but I believe in living where I play and not where I work.

For th person who said I wouldn't like being in "cougarville".... you are correct. I usually date younger but I don't want to be with 20 somethings. My age group would be 35-50 ish.... I also don't mind living in a bldg with older folks because it's quiet but I don't hang out with them...lol

Thank you all, again.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:34 PM

Default Still not seeing a great fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITGIRLFIVE0 View Post
I really appreciate all your comments and recommedations. To clarify, I have one dog and a cat so it's like having one pet. My dog is not a day care dog. She loves chilling on the bed or couch and she's good with 10 or 12 hrs. She's big and controls herself.

To further clarify, I am a Military Officer that would be faculty, but I don't know the hours. I'm sure it's early for PT.

As for where to live, well, I plan on coming there first to look around and get a realtor once I have orders, but I'm looking at condos online. Everyone is right about the snow. I'm not going to like it, but I believe in living where I play and not where I work.

For th person who said I wouldn't like being in "cougarville".... you are correct. I usually date younger but I don't want to be with 20 somethings. My age group would be 35-50 ish.... I also don't mind living in a bldg with older folks because it's quiet but I don't hang out with them...lol

Thank you all, again.

The additional info really does not make suggestions any easier. Wheaton College has a fairly good sized ROTC program -- Faculty | Wheaton It is a rather strict school that has gained notorioty for several incidents over the years -- Faced With Firing, Wheaton Professor Stands By Her Gesture Of 'Solidarity' : NPR

7th Circ. Rebuffs Wheaton's Bid To Block ACA Birth Control - Law360

My SIL lives in San Diego, so I understand that there are many different kind of folks that are either active duty military or retired, so I am not going to assume anything about the OP. It might be helpful to share at least a bit more about their preferences in housing. Maybe Oak Park makes sense. It is a known however as a politically liberal stronghold. Is the OP more of a "West Hollywood" kind of party person or maybe "Hidden Hills" or "Orange County" or "San Fernando Valley" -- would race /politics influence decision ?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:23 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Commuting concerns aside, the best areas for you would be downtown near the lakefront - whether that's right near it or within a mile or two - so my suggestions for that are still Gold Coast, Streeterville, and parts of South Loop...and West Loop to be a little closer. I think there's some things to work out first though like schedule and all that. I also would never recommend buying a place first in a new city, especially one you aren't familiar with (you were talking about condos - renting them is fine in that situation)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago