Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:37 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Chicago does not strike me as a town friendly to small business. A member of my family wanted to open an auto repair shop in Chicago. They said an Alderman contacted them and that the only way the business was going to happen was if they got a cut. Needless to say it never happened. And this family member was a retired cop too. You would have figured he would have had some pull there, but no.
Very much depends on the alderman. Chicago in general can be very small business oriented, but if the alderman doesn't like you, even as a person, you can be screwed. They have too much power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 03:53 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,267,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Very much depends on the alderman. Chicago in general can be very small business oriented, but if the alderman doesn't like you, even as a person, you can be screwed. They have too much power.
Very true. Things vary a great deal from one Chicago ward to the next.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:58 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,157,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The article I posted is more recent, but I guess it goes to show that it can change depending on how they analyze it.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The article I posted is more recent, but I guess it goes to show that it can change depending on how they analyze it.
Another important thing to remember is that they look at all races, not just one. A poster stated that NYC has just as many Black people as Chicago segregated, but at a much higher population. Very true, but both cities also have many Hispanic people segregated too. Have to look at everyone, not just one race. NYC feels less segregated for sure but depends on where you are entirely. Manhattan for example can feel very integrated but you could go other places that feel anything but, and it might statistically be deemed to be more segregated than Chicago but it still feels less than Chicago especially if you live and/or work in Manhattan.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:49 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,530,996 times
Quote:
Another important thing to remember is that they look at all races, not just one. A poster stated that NYC has just as many Black people as Chicago segregated, but at a much higher population. Very true, but both cities also have many Hispanic people segregated too. Have to look at everyone, not just one race. NYC feels less segregated for sure but depends on where you are entirely. Manhattan for example can feel very integrated but you could go other places that feel anything but, and it might statistically be deemed to be more segregated than Chicago but it still feels less than Chicago especially if you live and/or work in Manhattan.
Do you really think the numbers for Hispanics are any different? I'm pretty sure Chicago has close to as many Hispanic people segregated as New York does.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Do you really think the numbers for Hispanics are any different? I'm pretty sure Chicago has close to as many Hispanic people segregated as New York does.
Which is exactly what I stated...

Quote:
but both cities also have many Hispanic people segregated too.
Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "but" - it was meant to show that Black people are not the only people segregated in either city. I don't know why you singled this out when I literally stated that both cities have a lot of Hispanic segregation too.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:19 PM

347 posts, read 516,633 times
People here are speaking as if segregation is necessarily a bad thing. If people want to live in a multi-cultural, multi-racial neighborhood, that's fine with me. Live and let live. However, is it so wrong for people to want to live amongst others who look like them, share similar values, and share a similar culture? Why is this stigmatized?

Old 02-14-2016, 07:27 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,848,454 times
Quote:
Alderman Moreno wanted to block a Chick Fil A in his ward due to the religious beliefs of the company's owners.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:29 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,848,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I totally agree that the manufacturing / low wage ship has sailed. Even more to your point - marketable skills are hard-earned (probably more now than ever.) I work at 600 W Chicago, and the amount of wealth and education in that building is astounding - and non-white faces are far and few between. I imagine it's the same story at the AON center, Merch mart, etc.

I do agree that the city has to do more than host 'coding camps' to succeed. Heck, a lot of my co-workers aren't even from the Chicago region, so I know for sure locals are getting left in the dust. But of course, this is a systemic issue that traces back to years of failure. I'm just a dude at a desk and have no answer for that.
I am certain that there are many non-white East and South Asian faces, just as there are in "white" Silicon Valley."

Old 02-14-2016, 11:26 PM

347 posts, read 516,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
It is a bad thing. No buts about it.
Last time i checked the calendar it was 2016. Not 1955.
Lets start living in today's world. Not in the past. Leave the petty racism and segregation back in the 1950s where it belongs.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I happen to think there's nothing necessarily wrong with one wanting to live around others with similar racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds. I think it's even natural.

Last I heard, in this country, we're supposed to have freedom of association....which means we can live where we want, around who we want. Are you implying that we should pass laws preventing people from not associating and/or living around people they would rather not associate with or live around?

Just because you want to live in a multi-ethnic, multi-racial neighborhood, doesn't mean everyone has to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago