Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Rauner get us out of this mess?
Yes 19 24.36%
No 59 75.64%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:35 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,155,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Many of Illinois' universities are actually seeing declines in enrollment. I know EIU, NIU, SIU, and WIU are all trending downward. I'm not 100% certain about the other public universities, but I'm pretty sure U of I and UIC are the only public universities experiencing enrollment growth. Maybe ISU is in this category as well?

In my opinion we have too many public universities. EIU, NIU, SIU, and WIU just aren't on most Illinois' high school students radars. Students today want big universities with big name sports programs and active social scenes. That just isn't found anywhere in IL outside of U of I, NU, and maybe ISU/UIC. People would rather go out of state (read: Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, and Michigan State).
SIU isn't one school, it's two. Carbondale has had declining enrollment while Edwardsville has had growing enrollment. It's been like that for years now, but either Carbondale or the whole system took a major year over year hit, and they're attributing to the budget uncertainty and students not wishing to put their education in jeopardy if they can avoid it.

Edwardsville has a large draw due to Metro East residents who don't want to leave the St. Louis area, which is similar to UIC's draw, although UIC gets more points since it's actually in Chicago. As for social scenes, SIU Carbondale is known as a party school. The issue is that, well, it's Carbondale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 05:37 PM

347 posts, read 516,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
rauner isn't just hurting the universities, he's killing the towns that rely on the students, family's, employees and contractors that the university brings in. Charleston looks like a ghost town.
You could apply the same argument to Madigan and the dems....even more so. The dems have a veto proof majority. They could override Rauner's veto if they wanted to.

Regardless, considering that higher education has become a predator industry with their ridiculous tuition costs and over-abundance of overpaid administrators, I have no sympathy for these universities.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:18 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,331,997 times
If only the Democrats could just gain complete control of the state govt I am sure they could fix things...

Oh wait, they had complete control for 20 years and they didn't. They presided over this mess until it got this bad that the people elected Rauner. People are now shocked that Rauner is doing what he said and fighting the Dems which is exactly what he was elected to do.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:57 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,155,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If only the Democrats could just gain complete control of the state govt I am sure they could fix things...

Oh wait, they had complete control for 20 years and they didn't. They presided over this mess until it got this bad that the people elected Rauner. People are now shocked that Rauner is doing what he said and fighting the Dems which is exactly what he was elected to do.
Illinois had Republican governors from January 1977 until January 2003, and then against starting in January 2015. You might want to adjust your math.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Illinois had Republican governors from January 1977 until January 2003, and then against starting in January 2015. You might want to adjust your math.
If they couldn't fix things in 12 years plus all the years they had super-majority... But heck there are always a small minority of democrats that realize that this is shaping up to be the election year of unsurpassed p*ssed off voters and they don't want to be the targets of that anger.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 PM

997 posts, read 838,986 times
We've had a republican Govenor for over 50 of the last 75 years! There is blame on both sides. Get over it. The Supreme Court has ruled, Illinois owes X amount of dollars for skipping the pension payments. Start paying it, NOW!

Old 02-12-2016, 09:28 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Many of Illinois' universities are actually seeing declines in enrollment. I know EIU, NIU, SIU, and WIU are all trending downward. I'm not 100% certain about the other public universities, but I'm pretty sure U of I and UIC are the only public universities experiencing enrollment growth. Maybe ISU is in this category as well?

In my opinion we have too many public universities. EIU, NIU, SIU, and WIU just aren't on most Illinois' high school students radars. Students today want big universities with big name sports programs and active social scenes. That just isn't found anywhere in IL outside of U of I, NU, and maybe ISU/UIC. People would rather go out of state (read: Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, and Michigan State).
Be careful on drawing too many conclusions here. For one, declining enrollment is a nationwide trend, and to be expected when the unemployment rate has been cut from 10 to 5 in the last 6 years.

Why is college enrollment declining? - CBS News

Second, most college bound students attend in state public universities, not big name out of state schools. That isn't changing. Illinois is much different than any other state in having directional state schools to complement 1-2 main state universities, with the exception being that U of I is a bit of an underachiever for a state our size.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:28 PM

997 posts, read 838,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
You could apply the same argument to Madigan and the dems....even more so. The dems have a veto proof majority. They could override Rauner's veto if they wanted to.

Regardless, considering that higher education has become a predator industry with their ridiculous tuition costs and over-abundance of overpaid administrators, I have no sympathy for these universities.
Your not aware of Rauner paying off broke democratic Chicago senators( Duncan)? It's pretty common knowledge.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
We've had a republican Govenor for over 50 of the last 75 years! There is blame on both sides. Get over it. The Supreme Court has ruled, Illinois owes X amount of dollars for skipping the pension payments. Start paying it, NOW!
Or start looking to move out of state and leave the suckers left behind to try. The question of where the money comes from when more and more taxpayers leave the more the govt tightens their grip to pay. Cook county raised sales tax so I now do all my shopping online and in Dupage Co. In fact, I haven't bought one nonfood item in Cook Co this year so far.

NJ tried the same thing and they wound up destroying their economy.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 02-12-2016 at 09:56 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
When your party is in complete power for 12 years and significant power for the rest the excrement lands directly on their doorstep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago