Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 05:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Okay...regardless of what I think of the figures...it is completely unethical to show the names of these people. You can make your point without doing that, and if you want to be a whistleblower do it in a responsible manner. I'd say it makes more sense to blame the higher-ups than the "joe" on the job - would YOU turn down a good paying job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 AM

321 posts, read 861,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
when I did the math for that person who made that 158K, they make about 32.24/hr. assuming you get 1.5 time for anything over 40 hours a week, that would have had them working 3960 hours in a single year. to put it in perspective, if you work regular 8 hour days all year, that would put you at 2080 hours.

basically this person was working 76 hour weeks, which is aburd. you can't have any quality of life if you're working that much all year. either they are working 5 15-hour days or they're doing something like working a ****load of hours on the weekend. either way, you can't even enjoy your money when you're working like that.
Or they're buddies with their boss and their entire team reports twice as many hours as they actually worked so they can make more money and they get away with it because the cronyism goes all the way up the food chain.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:02 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
A lot of employees are encouraged to work as much overtime as possible. It is much cheaper to pay overtime to employees than to hire more and give benefits and train them. Chicago Police especially. A lot of them really rack it up.
Geez man. People at my warehouse work 55-72 hours/week. I really wonder about that..

Old 02-15-2016, 01:06 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
It must be supply and demand

Old 02-15-2016, 03:54 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
as long as they're clocking and working the actual hours, fine with me. But, if they're scamming the system, well, then there's a problem (which, if you've lived in IL for any period of time, you can bet some of that's taking place)

Old 02-15-2016, 12:47 PM

937 posts, read 927,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Okay...regardless of what I think of the figures...it is completely unethical to show the names of these people. You can make your point without doing that, and if you want to be a whistleblower do it in a responsible manner. I'd say it makes more sense to blame the higher-ups than the "joe" on the job - would YOU turn down a good paying job?
You will have to consult the CTA directly if you disagree with the ethics.
I am not doing anything the CTA hasn't already done.
If an individual were to be angry directly at any of the employees for their wages it is not really of my own doing, CTA provided this for public consumption.

Whistleblowing wasn't really an objective either. Just a curiosity of how CTA throws its funds around.

I think many CTA employees earn their keep (I think bus drivers are actually underpaid but, again, the income distribution I think is an important factor).

It just stood out to me that an Ironworker earned 218k last year on a normal hourly rate of $46 (which isn't bad at all).

....I'd rather not hide that name and so it appears, neither does the CTA.

Last edited by ARaider08; 02-15-2016 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 02-15-2016, 10:25 PM

235 posts, read 287,751 times
Here, you can download the whole thing if you have excel. I think paying the guys at the El station $32.24 an hour to show you how to swipe your credit card in the fare machine is excessive.
http://www.transitchicago.com/asset.aspx?AssetId=5270
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: