Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 01:41 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,292,976 times

Advertisements

Simple. My boots broke, so I need new rain boots - snow boots are covered and Tingley's are just OK. Any suggestions? I would prefer something that looks semi-normal and has at least a little bit of style.

Currently, I am looking at the Sorel Cheyanne premium rain/snow boot and the Le Chameau Veirzon rain boot.

The Le Chameau's look like they are knee high, and without a zipper, so who knows if they will actually fit.
The Sorel's are about 7" tall, so maybe few inches above my ankle, but the upper is leather, so they might not be that waterproof. I saw some Hilfiger's that had a similar design, but they had almost no support and felt as if I was wearing just a piece of rubber instead of a shoe/boot.

Hunter's are okay, but they look like they are more fitting for, well, a hunter (not that the Le Chameau's are that different).

PS: I'm a guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 01:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,642,292 times
Sorel's are great. Unless you are literally attempting to ford a river the leather upper is a non-factor in it waterproofness.

The similarly designed Kamik's are also very popular in Canada, and they are cheaper: Kamik Nation Plus Winter Boot - Men's | Backcountry.com

I have been hunting in Wisconsin and Minnesota and most folks wear stuff that you would be more likely to see at Gander Mountain or Cabella's -- they often like something that is supportive in tree stand or easy to hit the gas / brakes in a Gator -- Irish Setter Men's Havoc 9" Waterproof Hunting Boot - Joe's Sporting Goods - Ski Shop | St. Paul, MN | Skiing, Fishing, Hunting, Camping

Stylishness and "exclusive pricing" are pretty foolish decisions for footwear in foul weather. Heck, even in Aspen you see more folks in stuff from LL Bean than looking like they are auditioning for Zoolander...

Old 12-30-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Sorel's are great. Unless you are literally attempting to ford a river the leather upper is a non-factor in it waterproofness.

The similarly designed Kamik's are also very popular in Canada, and they are cheaper: Kamik Nation Plus Winter Boot - Men's | Backcountry.com

I have been hunting in Wisconsin and Minnesota and most folks wear stuff that you would be more likely to see at Gander Mountain or Cabella's -- they often like something that is supportive in tree stand or easy to hit the gas / brakes in a Gator -- Irish Setter Men's Havoc 9" Waterproof Hunting Boot - Joe's Sporting Goods - Ski Shop | St. Paul, MN | Skiing, Fishing, Hunting, Camping

Stylishness and "exclusive pricing" are pretty foolish decisions for footwear in foul weather. Heck, even in Aspen you see more folks in stuff from LL Bean than looking like they are auditioning for Zoolander...
Well, of course I want something functional, but I'm trying to avoid the stuff that looks like it belongs with a Hazmat suit. Lol

The boots you listed aren't too bad though.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:14 PM

846 posts, read 1,406,726 times
Lat year, I bought rain boots and they didn't serve my purpose as well as I needed. But I wore them all year. And, sure enough, LLBean returned them because I didn't like them and they didn't fit my needs. No questions asked. Customer for life right there. Free shipping, no minimum. Two stores in Chicagoland.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:22 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,642,292 times
Default I suspect that there are LOTS of insanely well off folks that feel the same way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Lat year, I bought rain boots and they didn't serve my purpose as well as I needed. But I wore them all year. And, sure enough, LLBean returned them because I didn't like them and they didn't fit my needs. No questions asked. Customer for life right there. Free shipping, no minimum. Two stores in Chicagoland.
I gotta tell you that no matter if I am in nice suburb in the region, enjoying some vacation spot in Colorado that I could never hope to afford to own thing or in the priciest parts of Connecticut I see more people wearing these than anything else -- Men's Bean Boots by L.L.Bean, 8 Thinsulate | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Old 12-31-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post

L.L Bean boots were what I was originally looking for, but they don't make the slip on boot style anymore, which might be okay, but the earliest they can get them to me is April and I'm not that patient. The Sorel's have a similar look and are supposed to have a comparable quality or maybe slightly lower.

That service might be worth the wait though.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 AM

846 posts, read 1,406,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
L.L Bean boots were what I was originally looking for, but they don't make the slip on boot style anymore, which might be okay, but the earliest they can get them to me is April and I'm not that patient. The Sorel's have a similar look and are supposed to have a comparable quality or maybe slightly lower.

That service might be worth the wait though.
It is. But that's me. One thing I hate fussing with is winter wear.

I had a pair of Sorel boots once and the rubber on the bottom cracked rendering them useless. This happened 3 months after getting them and I was told to mail them back. Nope, sorry. Not happening. Even if they don't have a boot that I like in stock at LLBean I can say that they will provide me with something if my boot breaks. And I can return the boot I don't like when the one I do like is in stock.

They're sold out because they're that popular.

Good luck, what ever you decide!

Old 12-31-2015, 03:08 PM

968 posts, read 2,675,312 times
LL Bean also makes /offers good boots that aren't hand-sewn and require the months of waiting .. I swear by their 'Snow Sneakers' ..on my second pair which are going through their 6th Chicago Winter and showing no signs of wear .. Just warm enough for being able to wear indoors as well as out , pretty much snow proof and water proof , and they make a wide size which allows for variable sock selection .. and they're always in stock . Recommended for day to day Chicago winter wear ..

Old 01-03-2016, 09:23 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,539,115 times
I like ankle Hunter boots with a good liner. Then I change into shoes if needed when I get to my destination.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,270,182 times
KEEN boots are fantastic. I did a weekend backpack trip a few weeks ago in the southern Missouri Ozarks where it was a downpour 2/3 of the time and they kept me dry. You can get them at REI or LL Bean I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago