Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times

Advertisements

If I was dead set on living within the city limits of Chicago I'd look at Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Edgebrook, Sauganash, Edison Park, Norwood Park, etc. They won't have the same vibe as Lincoln Park but they will be cheaper and more family friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 01:26 PM

251 posts, read 257,431 times
The OP said they can comfortably afford Lincoln Park. If that's the case, no reason to suggest other areas just because they're cheaper. The possibility of schools being an issue is really the big thing here, but OP also said they are open to private school and if they can afford that, there shouldn't be a problem with getting kids to magnet schools and whatnot.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:48 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,295 times
I have a friend, a lawyer, who is raising 4 kids in Lincoln Park, seems to work fine for him. I don't know much about his situation though, like public or private schools, no idea.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:45 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
The biggest problem with high school is teenagers. The nearest inner ring suburb that feels much like Chicago and shares a border with the city is Oak Park. It is fanily friendly and offers some nice perks for children - even little fry. it usually has some short term rentals while you look. K-8 are pretty good. High school merged with sister city a while ago. Dairy products delivered to your residence. OP is historical,too.

It is worth a look.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:46 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
I have a friend, a lawyer, who is raising 4 kids in Lincoln Park, seems to work fine for him. I don't know much about his situation though, like public or private schools, no idea.

Francis Parker (private school in Lincoln Park) is about $30,000 a year so that would be $120,000 in after tax dollars in just tuition. Tuition is free at New Trier High School in Winnetka.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:26 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
People, the OP clearly states:

A. They have looked and can comfortably afford LP housing
B. They currently pay $20-30K per kid for private schools for 3 kids
C. They have no desire to live in suburbs

Old 02-26-2016, 03:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Francis Parker (private school in Lincoln Park) is about $30,000 a year so that would be $120,000 in after tax dollars in just tuition. Tuition is free at New Trier High School in Winnetka.
Like I hinted at, even if the OP makes well into the mid-six digits, the MAJORITY of their income would likely need to be committed to private schools and given the rapidly deteriorating fiscal condition of Chicago and Illinois taxes on both income and real estate are likely to climb rapidly. That will put extreme pressure on any family with multiple school aged children.

Even if the OP has an income that is into/ near seven figures the combined outflows of pouring hundreds of thousands into private school tuitions AND taxes for which they'd get no benefit is frankly nuts. Think of it in simple terms: if instead of saying that they were OK using their income to pay for schools but instead wanted to purchase a brand new Porsche on Jan 1 of every year and then have it crushed on December 31 to be replaced with a new model the next day FOR THE WHOLE 12 years that their kids might be in school, would anyone say they are other than stark raving mad?? Porsche 911 Turbo/Turbo S Review | Top Gear

Old 02-26-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Like I hinted at, even if the OP makes well into the mid-six digits, the MAJORITY of their income would likely need to be committed to private schools and given the rapidly deteriorating fiscal condition of Chicago and Illinois taxes on both income and real estate are likely to climb rapidly. That will put extreme pressure on any family with multiple school aged children.

Even if the OP has an income that is into/ near seven figures the combined outflows of pouring hundreds of thousands into private school tuitions AND taxes for which they'd get no benefit is frankly nuts. Think of it in simple terms: if instead of saying that they were OK using their income to pay for schools but instead wanted to purchase a brand new Porsche on Jan 1 of every year and then have it crushed on December 31 to be replaced with a new model the next day FOR THE WHOLE 12 years that their kids might be in school, would anyone say they are other than stark raving mad?? Porsche 911 Turbo/Turbo S Review | Top Gear
This sounds more like a reason that no one of any income level should move to the Chicago area. I wouldn't send my kids to private school, but it works for some families who can afford it, some kids are happy at private school and some kids need private school due to learning disabilities that aren't properly addressed at the public schools. I'm betting there are some people with boatloads of money who have a pretty nice life in Lincoln Park. If you can afford a nice home there, your commute downtown is great and there are tons of amenities around. If Chicago rapidly declines, everyone in the area is screwed anyway.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
People, the OP clearly states:

A. They have looked and can comfortably afford LP housing
B. They currently pay $20-30K per kid for private schools for 3 kids
C. They have no desire to live in suburbs
Lol..and people are still pushing it...the suburb thing. I suggested ravenswood because it still in the city but more "land for your money"

Old 02-27-2016, 06:15 AM

Again, the OP didn't give us their budget and ask if they can afford Lincoln Park, and didn't ask if we think private school is a waste of money or not. For what they're looking for (not suburban, close to downtown and walkable), if they can afford it I think Lincoln Park seems like a great option.

OP, Lincoln Park has some beautiful homes and neighborhoods and there are a lot of people with kids who live there. The Lincoln Park Zoo & Park and the lake are nice amenities to have with kids. You should be able to find neighborhoods that are walking distance to a grocery, shops and restaurants. Public transportation is great and there's easy access to downtown, but note that some areas aren't that close to the train or a bus line into downtown, and walking to these could be difficult in the winter so you may want to take that into consideration when picking a neighborhood. I can't give you anything more than that because I don't live in Lincoln Park and don't know about private schools, but hopefully someone else with more knowledge will speak up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago