U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 11,694 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give us any tips on using apartment-finding companies or agents? We're from out of state and have never had to deal with these types of companies. Although we'll be looking for a place on our own mostly, we're also considering getting professional help, but have had no experience dealing with them in the past.

Can anyone give us some pointers? Do we have to pay for these services? I've read some of the older posts but I don't now if these are still accurate today (like avoiding certain companies, etc.)

BTW, we're hoping to find an apartment in Hyde Park, preferably near or along 55th. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 11:37 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,261,918 times
Looking in Hyde Park may be your biggest problem. The major apartment finding companies focus on the north and northwest sides. I don't know which if any will have the most stock of Hyde Park apartments. Anyway, using an apartment service is free to the tenant; the fees are charged to the landlord. Be prepared to shell out $50 for a credit check once you select an apartment you're interested in. And that's the apartment management company/owner charging you, not the apartment-finding company. I'm not sure if that's a standard practice anywhere else; I'd never been charged a credit check anywhere else except Chicago. But here, charging it to the prospective tenant is SOP.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:58 AM

391 posts, read 1,230,656 times
I used apartment guys to find my place and couldn't of done better if I did it myself. Not sure if they work in the area your looking at but I am extremely happy with them. If ya choose to try them ask for Jesse, he's absolutely great!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,710,527 times
Do a search on this forum. We have named/reviewed a ton of these services.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,897 times
There's a Chicago Apartment Finders (http://www.chicagoapartmentfinders.com/contact_us.asp?st= - broken link) at 1504 E. 53rd Street in Hyde Park. 1-888-FINDERS.

They were helpful to me.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:03 PM

72 posts, read 247,621 times
I´m a foreigner as well and worked with apartmentfinder and apartmentpeople - both services are somehow equal. The agents are really helpful, the processing however took longer than I expected - I had to call them again and again.
Service is, as mentioned above, for free. Credit check is $ 50. A bit annoying is that you can just hold an apartment by paying the 1st month rent, but it took them almost a week to tell you if the new landlord is happy with you. Meanwhile you can´t look for an alternative, since you´ll loose the money if you step back.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 AM

16 posts, read 56,468 times
Can anyone recommend any apt finding agency that focuses on the andersonville/uptown/lincoln square areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago