Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 10:00 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times

Advertisements

Does UIC attract many students from downstate IL? I went to UIC back in the day when it wasn't UIC but was known as either UICC or the Circle. And back then it was strictly a commuter school and strictly oriented to Chicago area students.

But, of course, the school has charged greatly since those days, adding dorms at Harrison & Halsted and later many more south of Roosevelt Road. While still a "metropolitan university", it certainly has taken on a more expansive roll.

So does anyone know the answer to my question? Do many downstate kids take advantage of in-state tuition at UIC and choose to go to school up in the big city? and where else other than from greater Chicagoland is UIC drawing its student body today?

(for the record, I'm not thinking of graduate level or any program on the Medical Center, or West, campus; I'm thinking strictly the east campus )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
I don't think so. I grew up downstate, and most other kids my age were focused on UIUC, NU, UChicago, WashU as the top schools and NIU, WIU, EIU, ISU, or SIU as their focus for the next tier of in-state schools. Most people I knew who were interested in UIUC were also interested in Wisconsin, Michigan, and (to a lesser extent) Iowa and Indiana and went there as well as a number of select private universities outside the Midwest. (The med school is of course a huge draw, but you asked not to consider graduate level programs.)

Old 04-02-2016, 04:07 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,947,006 times
I doubt it unless they want to go to an urban school. They probably pick Champaign Urbana as their first pick if they can get in. Then there are the other state schools mentioned above. I imagine there are some that do because they want to experience life in Chicago and the big city.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:26 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
UIC has always been a predominately (85%) commuter school serving the Chicago area.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:10 PM

367 posts, read 488,386 times
University of Indians Chinese.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:26 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
University of Indians Chinese.
Sounds better than Westwood where they have the University of Caucasians Lost among Asians

Old 04-04-2016, 12:39 PM

597 posts, read 667,635 times
I live in Springfield and have known a number of kids over the years who have gone to UIC. They desperately wanted a big-city experience along with a state-school sticker price. I can't imagine that Springfield is the only downstate location with these types of students. Moving to a big city from a smaller city or town is always a goal for a subset of young adults (of course they don't necessarily have to go to UIC specifically).

That said, while UIC does attract "some" downstate students, I probably wouldn't say it attracts "many" - at least in terms a percentage of students that attend UIC. But, if there is a substantial number of downstate students, even if not big percentage, that's something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago