Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:48 AM

347 posts, read 521,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It will be very disruptive to working families and people are sick of CTU shutting down the schools every time they have a tantrum or demand more money/benefits from a city that is de-facto bankrupt.
If you look around the country, you will see that Chicago teachers make MUCH more than the average U.S. teacher makes. It makes me sick when they complain of "oppressive working conditions." Chicago teachers are bunch of worthless parasites. I'd love to see the city fire 'em all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 08:45 AM

29,521 posts, read 19,616,477 times
CPS,wil eventually be taken over by the State. Not that the State is in any better shape, it's just that CPS will not be able to function independently much longer.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:36 PM

80 posts, read 103,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
Then why don't you stand up to the thugs union leaders and go to work on April 1st? Seriously, I've encountered Chicago union thuggery before and workers need to stand up to it. I find it very revealing that the union as a whole was not allowed to vote on this. It went only to the house of delegates. Why not let the union as a whole vote on it?
I agree with your latter point ... The teachers I talked to said they felt used, angry, sad, frustrated, and like the union used them as a political pawn. We had an informal meeting with our school delegates who agreed to vote as the teachers wanted. In the discussion portion of the meeting, almost everyone was against the "day of action" and voiced their reasons, with a slight concession to the fear that "we will look weak" if we back down now that it has been announced. I was disgusted that when we raised our hand to vote, a majority voted "yes" even though they were against it. Now I have a difficult decision to make. I doubt a single teacher at my school will walk in and work on April 1st. Do I have the guts to walk past everyone and punch in? I don't think so. Should I show up and wave signs, knowing that pretty much every single one of my colleagues will? I don't think I can.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:09 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjttt View Post
I agree with your latter point ... The teachers I talked to said they felt used, angry, sad, frustrated, and like the union used them as a political pawn. We had an informal meeting with our school delegates who agreed to vote as the teachers wanted. In the discussion portion of the meeting, almost everyone was against the "day of action" and voiced their reasons, with a slight concession to the fear that "we will look weak" if we back down now that it has been announced. I was disgusted that when we raised our hand to vote, a majority voted "yes" even though they were against it. Now I have a difficult decision to make. I doubt a single teacher at my school will walk in and work on April 1st. Do I have the guts to walk past everyone and punch in? I don't think so. Should I show up and wave signs, knowing that pretty much every single one of my colleagues will? I don't think I can.
If you're being honest this is very sad to read. The CTU needs to understand that the days of cushy pensions and benefits need to come to an end. Most private sector workers aren't entitled to half the benefits public employees are. What about public service is so demanding that people are entitled to astronomical pensions for their years of service? I agree everyone deserves a livable and fair wage, but when you're in a district with declining enrollment and state with serious financial issues, you have to make the cuts. We don't have a bottomless pit of money at our disposal and it's time that the public servants stopped treating the taxpayers as such.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:09 PM

29,521 posts, read 19,616,477 times
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/6-rea...keep-going-up/

Old 03-25-2016, 03:28 PM

80 posts, read 103,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
If you're being honest this is very sad to read. The CTU needs to understand that the days of cushy pensions and benefits need to come to an end. Most private sector workers aren't entitled to half the benefits public employees are. What about public service is so demanding that people are entitled to astronomical pensions for their years of service? I agree everyone deserves a livable and fair wage, but when you're in a district with declining enrollment and state with serious financial issues, you have to make the cuts. We don't have a bottomless pit of money at our disposal and it's time that the public servants stopped treating the taxpayers as such.
I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to begin to heal the system. It seems like pensions in general are from a bygone economic era and unsustainable in our current global economy - but like I said, I have no idea how to begin to fix this. CPS teachers don't pay into or get Social Security, so how do you phase out the pension when that's their source of income in retirement?

I only became a teacher because I hope that family money will be available to support me in my retirement years; I have never expected to have Social Security or a pension.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:33 PM

347 posts, read 521,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjttt View Post
I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to begin to heal the system. It seems like pensions in general are from a bygone economic era and unsustainable in our current global economy - but like I said, I have no idea how to begin to fix this. CPS teachers don't pay into or get Social Security, so how do you phase out the pension when that's their source of income in retirement?

I only became a teacher because I hope that family money will be available to support me in my retirement years; I have never expected to have Social Security or a pension.
I apologize for saying ALL CPS teachers are parasites. All of them are clearly not. You are an example of a non-parasite. I said what I said out of anger. You seem like a really good person who wants to serve kids. I wish the best for you. Has the union threatened you and other teachers about showing up to work on April 1st?

Oh, there is good news. I'm pretty sure the state labor relations board will rule on this before April 1st....and if I were a betting man, I'd bet on them ruling that this action is illegal. So, you may have nothing to worry about.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:08 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
I have no ideal how to fix any of the catastrophic issues with government units throughout the state of Illinois within the current bounds of our constitution. It is becoming painfully clear that govt in this state is an out of control failure that no longer serves the people to the point where businesses and residents feel their only option is to abandon the state.

The only answer I can give is we need a mechanism to completely demolish and rebuild the govt from the ground up and the only precedent for such a radical solution is reconstruction in the 1860's-90's.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I believe the union is too powerful. Thats why they get away with this. They have this very strong Entitlement Mentality. ok not EVERY teacher, because some of you teachers do not want to strike. I dont know how unions work, perhaps if the teachers went to class they would call them the bad name that people who cross the picket lines get called.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:05 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
The problem with the CPS is that years ago, the Deomcrat friends promised these entitlements and sweetheart pension deal in exchange for votes. But, any person with the slightest bit of financial aptitude knew the model wasn't sustainable. Every time reform was mentioned, the can was kicked down the road with the hope that it'll become someone else's problem. Well, that time has come, but the union refuses to acknowledge the need for change. Instead of coming up with a solution, they act like children, take their ball and go home.
Why can't teachers be responsible for their own retirement, like the private sector. Afterall, they only work 9 months out of the year, so they've got all summer to brainstorm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago