Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 01:49 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
It's not necessarily the city as a whole. It's the usual suspects on the south and west sides that are in legitimate decline. Chances are the north side and areas surrounding the Loop will continue to flourish. Further south and west are pretty much the opposite. Don't really see a way to combat this at this stage in the game. The jobs are gone and the people will follow. Sad situation, but unless we can get renewable energy off the ground and fast, I don't see how things can turnaround in my lifetime.
I'd also point out that certain neighborhoods that are flourishing aren't necessarily growing.

Quote:
Indeed, just a few miles from the heart of the Loop lies a neighborhood that, despite a rich history, beautiful architecture and quick access to the second-largest business district in America, has lost 40 percent of its population since the middle of the last century. An area that once held 102,000 people is now home to barely 64,000.

That area is called Lincoln Park.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...opulation-loss
The reasons are obviously entirely different, but it's worth noting that many of Chicago's most sought after neighborhoods aren't growing the way many would assume that they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:41 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanConquistador View Post
Interesting read. I was seeking out an article like this because I thought it was strange that Chicago's desirable urban core areas seem to be growing, while the city as a whole is experiencing a population loss.
Basically all city centers are experiencing population growth. Even Detroit's core is growing quite quickly.

The main takeaway, is that the city, overall, is underperfoming.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:42 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Arrow Very true about "growth" in numbers, but in the categories that matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I'd also point out that certain neighborhoods that are flourishing aren't necessarily growing.
The reasons are obviously entirely different, but it's worth noting that many of Chicago's most sought after neighborhoods aren't growing the way many would assume that they are.
...to the viability of the city there are valid reasons to applaud the success of developers in transforming areas like Lincoln Park into a desirable destination / place to raise families. The positives that have come from old, run down tenements that housed too many people in substandard conditions being replaced with upscale homes that allow people to enjoy the nicer aspects of being close to the business center of Chicago while having access to things like Lincoln Park Zoo and the lakefront beaches between North Ave and Fullerton are obvious.

Of course as that area has grown increasingly affluent the shifts in who cannot afford to live there has had all the negative consequences of gentrification -- here is a story focused on an area that remains much more "rust belt" than Lincoln Park -- What is Gentrification? | Flag Wars | POV | PBS

The should be more people willing to examine why the factories / tanneries / warehouse & assembly-oriented firms that once were a staple in now fashionable north side near-to-the-lake areas have not just left those areas but largely have fled Illinois altogether...

Former Finkl Steel Site Set to Lose Protected Manufacturing Designation - Curbed Chicago

Chicago PMI Unexpectedly Dives to Negative Territory; Production at Lowest Since July 2009; Emanuel's Tax Hikes Will Make Matters Worse | Mike Shedlock | Safehaven.com

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illin...acturing-jobs/

Manufacturing adds jobs in Ohio | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 04-13-2016, 03:26 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Basically all city centers are experiencing population growth. Even Detroit's core is growing quite quickly.

The main takeaway, is that the city, overall, is underperfoming.
The City is under performing in the sense that less educated people cannot find quality jobs that allow them to lead a middle class lifestyle. This is true in pretty much every city outside of the Sunbelt. I forget who made the point (maybe Lookout?), but it was a rather interesting one. Less educated people are flocking south for low wage retail/service jobs which are on the rise in those areas. Those jobs are on the rise because they have growing populations that demand more of those services. Once those metros start running out of "growth gas" they'll face the same issues we're facing. It's already happening in places like Seattle. Places where people once moved for lower COL and higher wages are now seeing their wages frozen and their COL skyrocketing. It's a national problem and not one unique to Chicago in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:46 PM

316 posts, read 654,889 times
Quote:
The City is under performing in the sense that less educated people cannot find quality jobs that allow them to lead a middle class lifestyle. This is true in pretty much every city outside of the Sunbelt. I forget who made the point (maybe Lookout?), but it was a rather interesting one. Less educated people are flocking south for low wage retail/service jobs which are on the rise in those areas. Those jobs are on the rise because they have growing populations that demand more of those services. Once those metros start running out of "growth gas" they'll face the same issues we're facing. It's already happening in places like Seattle. Places where people once moved for lower COL and higher wages are now seeing their wages frozen and their COL skyrocketing. It's a national problem and not one unique to Chicago in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM.
Oh how dare you point out that it's a national problem? You know that goes against the Anti-Chicago agenda.

Eventually all cities will hit a population growth standstill including the ones in the sunbelt region after the manufacturing jobs are completely outsourced. Can you imagine how bad it will become in places like New Orleans when that happens? It appears that even the wealthy are being shot there. Just thought I would point that out.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Right, keep kidding yourself that all cities are the same...

2016 Chicago Gun-Violence Stats Are Horrific -- NYMag

10 Great Cities for Starting a Business-Kiplinger

Interactive Map: The Best and Worst School Districts in America

Old 04-14-2016, 05:38 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
The City is under performing in the sense that less educated people cannot find quality jobs that allow them to lead a middle class lifestyle. This is true in pretty much every city outside of the Sunbelt.
No, the issue is that Chicago has the worst population trends of any major metro in the U.S. Dead last.

Obviously less educated people cannot find high paying jobs anywhere. Has absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic, and Chicago isn't losing its less educated population anyways; it's bleeding middle class population.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:20 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
No, the issue is that Chicago has the worst population trends of any major metro in the U.S. Dead last.

Obviously less educated people cannot find high paying jobs anywhere. Has absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic, and Chicago isn't losing its less educated population anyways; it's bleeding middle class population.
Have you ever been to Chicago?

Please tell me what neighborhoods you think are "bleeding" this "middle class" population.

Chicago's demographic patterns are, like most if not all big cities, complicated. WBEZ I think it was did a series of stories that laid out the entire picture several years ago.

I hate to break it to you but for all the city's problems your histrionic view of some kind of panicked flight is not even close to reality.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:57 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Have you ever been to Chicago?

Please tell me what neighborhoods you think are "bleeding" this "middle class" population.

Chicago's demographic patterns are, like most if not all big cities, complicated. WBEZ I think it was did a series of stories that laid out the entire picture several years ago.

I hate to break it to you but for all the city's problems your histrionic view of some kind of panicked flight is not even close to reality.
Thanks for providing much-needed balance. There are challenges, but the sky isn't falling everywhere..

Old 04-14-2016, 07:18 AM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
Quote:
Chicago isn't losing its less educated population anyways; it's bleeding middle class population.
Would you mind telling me where you got hold of those results? (Not necessarily refuting you -- I'm trying to aggregate some data on Chicago's population changes.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago