Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:44 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,392,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
For those arguing there is no correlation between broken households and crime:

45% of families headed by single mothers live below the poverty line.

Median income is half that of married families.

Poverty rate is five times more than married families.

More than half live on $10,000 a year.

They comprise more than 90% of TANF recipients .

Majority are separated, divorced or widowed; i.e., not living unmarried with a partner.

Comprise roughly 70% of all poor families.
I wonder how long it'll take for this to sink in with liberals. In my lifetime? I hope so but I grow less and less confident that I have enough years left (and I'm in my 40s).

I think liberalism is going to take a good sock in the kisser in November. I continue to be amazed at Trump's popularity. I though this reality TV star's campaign was an absolute joke when it first started, as did a lot of people. No one's laughing anymore though, and they shouldn't be. We have some very serious problems in our country, and we're refusing to address them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 01:35 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,150,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I wonder how long it'll take for this to sink in with liberals. In my lifetime? I hope so but I grow less and less confident that I have enough years left (and I'm in my 40s).

I think liberalism is going to take a good sock in the kisser in November. I continue to be amazed at Trump's popularity. I though this reality TV star's campaign was an absolute joke when it first started, as did a lot of people. No one's laughing anymore though, and they shouldn't be. We have some very serious problems in our country, and we're refusing to address them.
Trump is undoubtedly popular, but I would say he's more comparable to Bernie Sanders than say, Ronald Reagan. He has a very dedicated following, but his hateful rhetoric that got him this far will undoubtedly cost him the election. You've built this straw man argument against liberalism without actually accepting the facts as they are. America is no longer a predominately white, christian nation and it won't ever be one again. The GOP has, historically, poor relations with non-whites. While I'm sure many minorities are not fully on board with the democratic party, they are voting for those who have proven they are willing to fight for equality for all and socially progressive issues...unlike the GOP who has repeatedly attempted to suppress voter turnout in minority communities and regress on social issues.

I'm assuming you're white, so let me leave you with this: A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF AMERICANS DO NOT LOOK LIKE YOU, ME, OUR PARENTS, OR OUR GRANDPARENTS. Even the ones that do are increasingly progressive. The demographics of this country have changed drastically very quickly. The GOP has refused to come to terms with this and it'll cost them this election and many more if they do not change their platform.

Last edited by IrishIllini; 05-26-2016 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Trump is undoubtedly popular, but I would say he's more comparable to Bernie Sanders than say, Ronald Reagan. He has a very dedicated following, but his hateful rhetoric that got him this far will undoubtedly cost him the election. You've built this straw man argument against liberalism without actually accepting the facts as they are. America is no longer a predominately white, christian nation and it won't ever be one again. The GOP has, historically, poor relations with non-whites. While I'm sure many minorities are not fully on board with the democratic party, they are voting for those who have proven they are willing to fight for equality for all and socially progressive issues...unlike the GOP who has repeatedly attempted to suppress voter turnout in minority communities and regress on social issues.

I'm assuming you're white, so let me leave you with this: A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF AMERICANS DO NOT LOOK LIKE YOU, ME, OUR PARENTS, OR OUR GRANDPARENTS. Even the ones that do are increasingly progressive. The demographics of this country have changed drastically very quickly. The GOP has refused to come to terms with this and it'll cost them this election and many more if they do not change their platform.
I used to be a lot more liberal but really don't harbor the white guilt anymore. That stuff doesn't affect me. Nor do I particularly care if people look like me (some people might say they hope not, LOL!!). My problem is when they don't ACT right. And by "right" I mean with respect towards others, personal responsibility and a work ethic. Presumably, you've given up on these values as part of your view that "America is no longer a predominately white, Christian nation and it won't ever be one again?"

I don't view these as "old fashioned" outdated values. They're basic common sense ways to conduct yourself, and a society without them will be miserable. Just look at life in certain areas of our own City!

As to Trump, I have listened to what he's been saying and I think you should also. Don't just read the editorials or indignant talking points about him that claim he called all Mexicans rapists, all women dogs, and things like that. Listen to his comments directly and judge for yourself.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:58 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,150,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I used to be a lot more liberal but really don't harbor the white guilt anymore. That stuff doesn't affect me. Nor do I particularly care if people look like me (some people might say they hope not, LOL!!). My problem is when they don't ACT right. And by "right" I mean with respect towards others, personal responsibility and a work ethic. Presumably, you've given up on these values as part of your view that "America is no longer a predominately white, Christian nation and it won't ever be one again?"

I don't view these as "old fashioned" outdated values. They're basic common sense ways to conduct yourself, and a society without them will be miserable. Just look at life in certain areas of our own City!

As to Trump, I have listened to what he's been saying and I think you should also. Don't just read the editorials or indignant talking points about him that claim he called all Mexicans rapists, all women dogs, and things like that. Listen to his comments directly and judge for yourself.
I don't think any white person in our modern society should harbor feelings of white guilt, but we do need to acknowledge that we are "privileged" to have been born white. Even if you feel like you've never benefited from being white, you have. Our ancestors were not enslaved and barred from owning property until the 1960s. Our ancestors weren't paid less simply because of the color of their skin, or restricted from living in quality neighborhoods. Black people in the U.S. have been systematically prohibited from accruing wealth for GENERATIONS. White American families who have been in the U.S. as long as Black Americans descended from slaves are some of the wealthiest families in the world. There's a reason for that...

I agree black people in poor areas are out of touch with what is socially acceptable or expected, but so are poor whites. Have you been to some of the small towns in rural Illinois? Kentucky? Alabama? Louisiana? West Virgina? New York? You're a product of your environment. The people in these environments were not provided the education and resources that it seems you and I were fortunate to receive. No one wants to be poor and helpless, but when you've literally never had a real opportunity to make something of yourself, it's hard to be anything but. Not trying to be righteous, it's just the truth.

As for Trump, I won't lie - the man makes a good point on occasion. With that said, I do not feel as though he is a serious candidate for POTUS. That's just my opinion though - you are more than free to have a differing one.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:45 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,776,538 times
Default More negative headlines

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...olence-chicago

Every warm summer weekend it seems that these staggering numbers come out. Until it stops, the media will be keeping their eyes on it and reporting it.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:41 PM

13,972 posts, read 13,743,849 times
World class city like Chicago need to clean it crime

Old 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM

13,972 posts, read 13,743,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...olence-chicago

Every warm summer weekend it seems that these staggering numbers come out. Until it stops, the media will be keeping their eyes on it and reporting it.
16 people shot in NYC better than 64 in Chicago. The media focus because it alarming numbers for NYC type city

Old 05-31-2016, 08:26 PM

347 posts, read 516,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Okay, buddy. I don't care enough to debate this. I'm definitely don't side with the far left, but I'm certainly not on board with you. That's fine though. Just be careful not to have a stroke in November when you realize that people do take racism, sexism, and xenophobia quite seriously...
Wow, your arguments have been totally curb-stomped and demolished by various posters using actual logic and facts....and all you can do is whine, "WAYcism! WAYcism! WAYcism!" Let me ask you this. Do you think blacks should ever be held responsible for their actions? How about those black thugs who chased that black couple onto Lake Shore Drive and caused that black girl to get hit by a pickup truck and die? Are you outraged about that? Or, in your worldview, are those black thugs not really thugs? According to you, are they just victims of the system? Your mindset is spreading more and more....and the condition of the black community is getting worse and worse....so you're not doing anyone any favors.

By the way, I'm a Trump supporter, but I agree with you that Hillary will win. Want to know why? Too many people in this country have your mindset. They'd rather blame "the man" for their problems and not take personal responsibility for their actions. Also, too many people want free crap from the government instead of working for it. So, yeah, Hillary will win....but the groups you claim to care so much about will continue to suffer. Why? Because your victimhood mentality will continue to be perpetuated by cultural and economic marxist politicians.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,776,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
16 people shot in NYC better than 64 in Chicago. The media focus because it alarming numbers for NYC type city
I agree with you.
The final count this holiday weekend was 69 shot, 6 killed.

Memorial Day weekend closes with 69 shot in Chicago, many of them on West Side - Chicago Tribune

Old 05-31-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
Wow, your arguments have been totally curb-stomped and demolished by various posters using actual logic and facts....and all you can do is whine, "WAYcism! WAYcism! WAYcism!" Let me ask you this. Do you think blacks should ever be held responsible for their actions? How about those black thugs who chased that black couple onto Lake Shore Drive and caused that black girl to get hit by a pickup truck and die? Are you outraged about that? Or, in your worldview, are those black thugs not really thugs? According to you, are they just victims of the system? Your mindset is spreading more and more....and the condition of the black community is getting worse and worse....so you're not doing anyone any favors.

By the way, I'm a Trump supporter, but I agree with you that Hillary will win. Want to know why? Too many people in this country have your mindset. They'd rather blame "the man" for their problems and not take personal responsibility for their actions. Also, too many people want free crap from the government instead of working for it. So, yeah, Hillary will win....but the groups you claim to care so much about will continue to suffer. Why? Because your victimhood mentality will continue to be perpetuated by cultural and economic marxist politicians.
If you want people to get out of poverty, give them not a handout but a good paying job. That will instill a sense of pride, work ethic, and accomplishment, and ability to provide for family. I'm sure many will counter that these values are completely outmoded, and maybe even "too white." But I just think they're basic common sense. I know a lot of minorities who agree with me.

That's why I think Trump is much closer to the answer than Hillary is. She seems to be defending the disastrous status quo that caused our trade deficits to explode since 2008, and the trade policies of her husband that helped lead us into this mess. He's talking about jobs and bad trade agreements. She isn't. For those who know what's really going on, it seems to be a pretty simple choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago