Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:44 AM

41 posts, read 61,227 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently moved to the edgewater area near Sheridan/Rosemont.

The building i live in has a parking garage but my partner and I got tricked. They sold us it was a short wait to get parking, but talking to the property manager and maintenance folks, it seems to be a year at the earliest if not later.

I was able to find a month to month parking around magnolia/Broadway but it's quite a distance away. It's fine now in the summer time, but i worry in the winter and rainy season. I also worry about the car being so far away as i can't keep an eye on it.

I was hoping that we'd be able to ask the high rises along Sheridan for parking but quickly have been realizing that most of them have waitlists for their own residents and thus do not allow parking for non residents. Seems kind of hopeless.

I'm posting this here in hopes if anyone knows of any paid parking lots near this area.

I consider myself pretty lucky to have even found a spot even though its a ~15 minute walk, but it seems like it's not a long term solution.

It's not possible for me to get rid of the car because 1.) i travel to the suburbs quite often to help with my parents health needs, and 2.) i pay for parking at work. If i cancel my parking spot at work, the wait list is estimated for 3-5 years. I'm not sure how long i'll be in the city due to my parents and would be really screwed without parking at work in that scenario.

Appreciate any creative ideas or insights i might be able to get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,106,492 times
Do you work in the city?

Old 06-16-2016, 02:58 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Op, is there no free street parking in that area?

Old 06-16-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Do you work in the city?
Yep. I work downtown near Water Tower Mall.

My original plan was to take the bus because the 147 is right in front of my work and home and cancel my work parking permit.

However, i've come to find out that if i give up my parking spot at work, it's a multi year wait. It costs me $140/mo for parking at work. I feel like to make use of it, i might as well drive to work and not spend money on the bus.

I can't completely give up my work parking because me residing in the city is realistically temporary, 2 yrs at most, maybe even one year. And it looks like private parking in the area is a bit further and reaching $300-500 a month. The cost of my rent almost, ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Op, is there no free street parking in that area?
Nope. I mean there is permit parking, and i'd be happy to buy the zone parking, but i've tried driving around randomly and i never see a spot in the area. My work schedule is also a little different then most as i work 4 10's, so i don't get home till around 7:30pm and most cars are parked on the weekday anyway when i just tried to see what is available.

I know i should have done a better job of looking into things, but i have been so busy this summer helping my mom that i just took someone's word at face value. I just feel so stupid.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:58 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,775,164 times
Take the bus to work and back and keep your car at the garage you're paying for downtown. Use your car on weekends, when you need to see Mom, or some special time when you absolutely need to. That $140 is awfully cheap for a downtown parking spot. Even with $100 for a monthly transit pass plus a few extra bucks for the occasional taxi, you're still coming out ahead of what you'd pay at a private lot near home.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
I see a lot of people offer garage spaced for rent. Download the app next door, or their website is
https://nextdoor.com/. Advertise there what you are looking for. You never know
I always park on Ashland for free. Always plenty of parking. The parking permits on certain streets are only like 25 bucks.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:04 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,106,492 times
Well, Red Line is probably the better choice, than the bus. Or maybe it's time for the parents to move to the city...

Old 06-17-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Take the bus to work and back and keep your car at the garage you're paying for downtown. Use your car on weekends, when you need to see Mom, or some special time when you absolutely need to. That $140 is awfully cheap for a downtown parking spot. Even with $100 for a monthly transit pass plus a few extra bucks for the occasional taxi, you're still coming out ahead of what you'd pay at a private lot near home.
That would be wonderful, except the work parking lot doesn't allow you to park past 2 or 3am otherwise you are towed. Or else i would keep that car there 100% and just do everything via public transport until i need to go out to the burbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I see a lot of people offer garage spaced for rent. Download the app next door, or their website is
https://nextdoor.com/. Advertise there what you are looking for. You never know
I always park on Ashland for free. Always plenty of parking. The parking permits on certain streets are only like 25 bucks.
hey, thank you! I checked out some other sites but not that one. will take a look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Well, Red Line is probably the better choice, than the bus. Or maybe it's time for the parents to move to the city...
i think the redline is faster, but the bus is right in front of my building. i can either walk to the redline and potentially wait there for 5-8 minutes, or time it so i leave my place and get to the bus right when the tracker says its outside. Seems like it would be similar as a result.

No, they both have stable jobs in the suburbs with bosses who are very lenient and a rather stress free work environment. I'm also not much of a city person as rare as that is in today's world.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:08 PM

934 posts, read 1,442,174 times
I feel your parking woes. I live a couple blocks north of Loyola University. Starting at Farwell, the parking becomes free 24/7, no parking permit required. I've noticed the best times to get a spot is right in the morning when people are leaving for work (I take the redline downtown). I only use my car for occasional shopping trips and to visit family. Sometimes when it's bad, I've had to park on Jarvis and walk back to my apartment. I guess I can't complain since it's free, but really the only thing I worry about is forgetting about the damn street cleanings and coming back to my car with a nice new $60 parking ticket.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:56 PM

321 posts, read 861,566 times
Bike to your car and back.

You probably know this but some of those North Shore neighborhoods have express buses direct nonstop to the loop that would be faster than the Red Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: