Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:00 PM

3,495 posts, read 3,117,485 times

Advertisements

They are not portraying Pierre Loury as a "good kid"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 12:18 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,675,981 times
Default Why does the Chi Trib

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Why wouldn't they get reactions from the community? That's standard practice in journalism. That's part of telling the "whole story".
I absolutely don't agree with all of their comments, but I know where they are coming from, and those neighbors/relatives have the right to express their feelings whether I agree with them or not.
Are you unaware of CPD's history of unjustified shootings and brutality? Some very egregious cases have come to light the last few years. The CPD has a lot of problems, bad PR being one of them.
So the presence of those comments does not negate the contents of the rest of the article, and completely contradicts the OP's claim that the Trib is "not telling the whole story"

ETA: So, no one can show me where they "made him sound as if he was the typical teen just horsing around with his friends", eh? Maybe we were reading different editions of the Trib, mine being the one that exists in the real world.
Well.. As it stands now, you are accurate in your ETA addendum. No one can tell you because it just isn't there.
I despise false equivalency threads & such situations & communication in general.
Let the FACTS be the standard by which we let the chips fall where they may.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:59 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,419,536 times
Quote:
Eh, I don't know. It could be read that way. But anyway, if there's any confusion, the family might give them a call (at the request of their civil rights attorney) and you could see an editorial update explaining how he was a good kid about to turn his life around and attend college or join the military in the fall.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:19 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,842,456 times
As an outsider I don't have a horse in this race, other than I believe that corruption exists or has the potential to exist in nearly all organizations, that there are racists, including cops, and sometime officers make errors of judgement that end lives needlessly- they are human. But I don't believe that there is anything near a wholesale completely corrupt and racist police force running rampant targeting completely innocent AA kids for target practice in Chicago. Rather, the few bad apples need to be ejected out of this force and leadership there (as they should everywhere) and that will not make any discernible difference in the numbers of young black Americans being killed by violence because it is not from police officers that they are loosing their lives in any numbers to.

Of this particular incident all assertions and should be investigated along with the cold hard facts of the case before a final conclusion is made, and I believe it will absolve the police of any wrong doing.

One thing I am curious of, is whether or not Pierre is found to have any GSR on his hands. Though other scenarios could have taken place related to the reports of a gun shot incident earlier; others could have been shooting at Pierre, or someone other than Pierre in the car did the shooting, or he wasn't involved at all in any shooting. But if GSR is found it would at least go far towards supporting the police narrative of what they are saying happened.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:30 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,255,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
As an outsider I don't have a horse in this race, other than I believe that corruption exists or has the potential to exist in nearly all organizations, that there are racists, including cops, and sometime officers make errors of judgement that end lives needlessly- they are human. But I don't believe that there is anything near a wholesale completely corrupt and racist police force running rampant targeting completely innocent AA kids for target practice in Chicago. Rather, the few bad apples need to be ejected out of this force and leadership there (as they should everywhere) and that will not make any discernible difference in the numbers of young black Americans being killed by violence because it is not from police officers that they are loosing their lives in any numbers to.

Of this particular incident all assertions and should be investigated along with the cold hard facts of the case before a final conclusion is made, and I believe it will absolve the police of any wrong doing.

One thing I am curious of, is whether or not Pierre is found to have any GSR on his hands. Though other scenarios could have taken place related to the reports of a gun shot incident earlier; others could have been shooting at Pierre, or someone other than Pierre in the car did the shooting, or he wasn't involved at all in any shooting. But if GSR is found it would at least go far towards supporting the police narrative of what they are saying happened.
Great post. Unfortunately as they say common sense ain't all that common, particularly these days.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:51 PM

2,500 posts, read 4,412,366 times
"the few bad apples need to be ejected out of this force and leadership there (as they should everywhere) and that will not make any discernible difference in the numbers of young black Americans being killed by violence because it is not from police officers that they are loosing their lives in any numbers to."

Unless you're advocating that we should allow the police to kill young black men because young black men die for other reasons also, then this statement adds no value to your argument.

It's orders of magnitude worse when the people sworn to protect you and serve you, instead judge you, sentence you, and execute you without a trial.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:09 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,021,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
"the few bad apples need to be ejected out of this force and leadership there (as they should everywhere) and that will not make any discernible difference in the numbers of young black Americans being killed by violence because it is not from police officers that they are loosing their lives in any numbers to."

Unless you're advocating that we should allow the police to kill young black men because young black men die for other reasons also, then this statement adds no value to your argument.

It's orders of magnitude worse when the people sworn to protect you and serve you, instead judge you, sentence you, and execute you without a trial.
The best way to not be shot by a cop is to not be a drug dealer, gang banger or to pull a gun on them. Usually pulling a gun on a cop results in a swift action by the cop and usually doesn't end well for the thug.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:42 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,920,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortPoaster View Post
Because the current PC culture is akin to the Soviet propaganda machine. When something like this happens 99% of people understand the situation, and 99% of people understand that most everybody else understands the situation, but the "real" crime is openly discussing the situation in a truthful manner. That's when you get sent off to the Gulag.
That is funny because for years I referred to The Trib as Chicago's version of Pravda, the Soviet Union's propaganda newspaper.

Whether it's the Daley Machine or anything portraying Chicago in a negative manner, it will not be reported in the Tribune. Stories are often twisted to portray Chicago in a favorable way, no matter what the topic.

Forget about it when blacks are the perpetrators when white victims are involved.

Haven't considered reading the Tribune in years, not even the ones sitting around at Starbucks.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:36 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,419,536 times
Quote:
He ran from them so "that he could get away and have a better chance, so that he could have a better life."

Family of teen Pierre Loury sues city over deadly police shooting - Chicago Tribune

Well, that settles it then, though it might have made sense to have dropped the gun first if that was the objective.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:24 PM

3,495 posts, read 3,117,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
He ran from them so "that he could get away and have a better chance, so that he could have a better life."

Family of teen Pierre Loury sues city over deadly police shooting - Chicago Tribune

Well, that settles it then, though it might have made sense to have dropped the gun first if that was the objective.
"They" being The Trib. You're quoting the boy's aunt. Family members always say stupid crap like that. It's intellectually dishonest to attribute the opinions of the family to the Trib just because they are quoting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago