Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:04 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times

Advertisements

I commute Harlem to clark/lake. It's generally a 30 min train ride, so 33 min sounds right from Cumberland. Just factor walking to/from the train, so more likely 45-50 door to door.

It's safe, there are usually HS students on the train on morning / afternoon commutes, so you won't stick out looking young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:38 PM

235 posts, read 287,751 times
I hop on the El at Harlem, get off to bus at Addison and take that over by Wrigley. Was comparing notes with one of the ladies at work this week, and all that took me less time than it took her to drive from the same area-she lives down the street from me. I can get to Clark Street quicker than she can, and she has a car. It's very rewarding to see the El flying down the tracks at 55 MPH while you see nothing but creep and beep on the Kennedy.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 PM

10 posts, read 8,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Speaking of Jefferson Park that is a quick 10 minute train ride. It is a decent enough neighborhood and might make more sense for the OP than downtown especially in terms of affordable apartments. The OP can always head downtown on the train for entertainment but it is a much shorter commute on a much emptier train. The Blue line by the time it goes through Humbolt and Wicker Park can be very packed all the way to downtown.

It is also a bus hub with many transit options to rest of the city and surrounding suburbs.
Hi there, thanks so much for your reply ~

I had researched Jefferson Park as well - but was a little skeptical about the demographics?

The per-capita income is only $27k - 9% unemployment rate - 13.5% without a high school diploma. The area did seem very safe though - it ranked like 60th/77 neighborhoods in regards to crimes.

Do you possibly have any more information about the "vibe/feel" or the place? I think I am a bit of quieter person and perhaps living out in the suburbs will suit me a little better.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Clark & Lake is in the Loop -- not really the kind of place that makes sense for most folks to live, especially if work is closer to the airport near Cumberland.

Spots along the Blue line like Wicker Park, Bucktown or Logan Square are going to be easier to get to work AND have a wider range of good options for apartments, dining, shopping, nightlife, entertainment.
Hi there- thanks so much for your reply!

This is what I heard as well. However, I would only be able to have a roommate if I lived in the loop. If I looked further out - I'd have to look at a studio.

Do you have any info on how safe Logan Square is? I've noticed that rent is abnormally cheap in that area - but I've had conservative friends tell me absolutely to avoid the area. : /

Old 04-16-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_r View Post
I made this exact commute for a year, and now I get on at Grand and make more or less the same commute. Here are my thoughts:

-- 40 minutes is about right; though, this time varies more than I care for.

-- Seems obvious, but don't forget to tack 10 minutes on to your commute to get from the Cumberland station to your desk (if you're a desk person).

-- You'll easily be able to find a seat.

-- Plenty of homeless people riding in the winter. Asking for money doesn't bother me (which isn't that common), the smell, however, does.

-- It's safe.

-- On your commute to work, every 3rd, 4th, or 5th train (I don't pay close attention) will stop before Cumberland at the Jefferson Park stop. So don't get on this train unless you want to stand around at Jefferson Park and wait for the next one. You'll only make that mistake once, but it'll affect your morning commute as far as how long you'll have to wait around at Clark and Lake. For instance, I stood at the Grand station for 11 minutes this morning before I got the O'Hare train that stops at Cumberland.

--tl;dr: Be at Clark and Lake by 8:00 if you need to be at work by 9:00.

Thank you so much!! (And especially about that heads-up about Jefferson Park)

Old 04-17-2016, 06:04 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngandconfusedyay View Post
Hi there, thanks so much for your reply ~

I had researched Jefferson Park as well - but was a little skeptical about the demographics?

The per-capita income is only $27k - 9% unemployment rate - 13.5% without a high school diploma. The area did seem very safe though - it ranked like 60th/77 neighborhoods in regards to crimes.

Do you possibly have any more information about the "vibe/feel" or the place? I think I am a bit of quieter person and perhaps living out in the suburbs will suit me a little better.
I've heard a lot of Chicago Police, Fire, and other employees live in Jefferson Park as it a decent north side neighborhood and more affordable than the high demand neighborhoods like Lincoln Park or South Loop. There are some bars and restaurants near the L but otherwise it is pretty bland.

If you are looking into subburbs it depends on your budget, commute time tolerance, and, in your case without a car, transit options. Park Ridge starts just to the north of the Cumberland L station and is a very nice subburb but very pricey. I live in Niles and there are 2 bus routes from Golf Mill mall Pace 240 and 241 that go to Cumberland but it is about a 30 minute bus ride and the buses don't run too often nor too late into the evening. It is also a quick 5 mile (25 min) bike ride down Cumberland/Prospect ave. Niles is a safe and relatively cheap subburb but is very blue collar without some desirable features such as a nice walkable downtown and Metra station.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 04-17-2016 at 06:14 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 12:26 PM

40 posts, read 50,436 times
You'll be safe. I am not sure how the commute is anymore. I use to live in Edison Park between 1998-2000 and I attended UIC. If I got on the train after 6.30 am, then the entire train was completely packed until Jackson. I took the L from Harlem and Higgins. Honest answer, you may if you can move closer to your job. But it depends how much you want to spend. If you truly feel unsafe, then sit or stand in the first car behind the conductor. From what I remember Commuting from UIC to Cumberland for my job in Park Ridge, most of the suburban commuters were in the first two cars on the train. Just like any public transit it has its ups and downs. I don't remember having a problem in the winter on that line, even when I lived on Addison and Pulaski, Jefferson Park, Logan Square and Belmont-Cragin. During a thunder-blizzard, the train will keep moving.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:57 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
I commuted Damen to Cumberland via Blue Line for 2 years, and it was around 30 minutes (sometimes more IIRC, but that was due to construction slow zones) I worked in that President's Plaza (The building with the Rexam sign) and it was a bit of a hike (10 minutes or so) to or from the station. Sometimes in the winter the sidewalk connecting the business park and the station is not very well maintained, so add time for having to take it slow in bad weather conditions.
I never really had any problems on the commute itself. I'd say its pretty safe. Lots of airport traffic. There's always a chance for homeless/sketchy people, or rude passengers, but that's just part of riding the CTA.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:37 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
No matter how bad the neighborhood in Chicago, there's always going to be an elementary school, always going to be people walking to the grocery store, etc.

But if you are a coward there are 3 White cop neighborhoods in Chicago, northwest by O'Hare, by Midway, and Mt. Green Wood / Beverly / and Morgan Park area. White cops don't live in the Hispanic or Black neighborhoods and the Hispanic and Black cops don't live in the White neighborhoods either. ;]

Old 04-18-2016, 06:21 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngandconfusedyay View Post

Do you have any info on how safe Logan Square is? I've noticed that rent is abnormally cheap in that area - but I've had conservative friends tell me absolutely to avoid the area. : /
This comment feels about 10 years old. If rent seems "abnormally" cheap, is it because you are comparing it against new high rise buildings in the loop (which are among highest rents in the city)? You should also make sure to check the actual location of any apartments. Logan Square is a large neighborhood. The neighborhood has experienced a ton of investment, especially the last five years, but some sections, especially further west, may not be what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago