Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:23 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times

Advertisements

So glad you loved it!! Chicago is magnificent and the crime in a couple of bad areas dominate the headlines, which is ridiculous. Other than NYC, it's truly the best urban living experience you can get in the USA.

Is your daughter enjoying it as much as she thought she would?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:29 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thought I'd give an update. Helped the daughter move onto campus in August. My first trip to your city. Can I say this?

I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!

I have seen your city on TV and in movies many times, but the scope of the size and the architecture and overall magnificence was beyond my wildest dreams. I absolutely loved everything about downtown, the loop, the river, the lake front and every neighborhood I went to between downtown and DePaul and beyond. It was so good for me to go and see the environs. I honestly feel safer for her in that part of Chicago than if she had gone to school in downtown Dallas or Atlanta.

Love your city, can't wait to come visit again!
Check back in with her in January

Glad you loved it! Best of luck to your daughter!

Old 10-21-2016, 10:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
I feel perfectly at home whenever I visit Chicago, which I've done twice this year. The city is truly a slice of Americana..

Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thought I'd give an update. Helped the daughter move onto campus in August. My first trip to your city. Can I say this?

I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!

I have seen your city on TV and in movies many times, but the scope of the size and the architecture and overall magnificence was beyond my wildest dreams. I absolutely loved everything about downtown, the loop, the river, the lake front and every neighborhood I went to between downtown and DePaul and beyond. It was so good for me to go and see the environs. I honestly feel safer for her in that part of Chicago than if she had gone to school in downtown Dallas or Atlanta.

Love your city, can't wait to come visit again!
Thanks for checking in and giving the update! Glad you liked it, hope your daughter does too!

Old 10-22-2016, 08:47 PM

27 posts, read 27,537 times
Thanks for updating! I walk by DePaul all the time and since you posted this, I've often wondered how your daughter is doing and whether you made the trip. (Fellow Texan now Chicagoan).

Old 10-22-2016, 10:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
The point ToriaT is making is that young people, particularly women, need to pay attention to what's going on around them at all times. If you have your earbuds in, you may not hear someone following you.

And no, crime is not an isolated incident.

https://spotcrime.com/il/chicago/lincoln+park

OP, glad you enjoyed the city and your daughter will love her time here. There's so much to do and see, she'll never be bored.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:52 AM

171 posts, read 190,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtookc View Post
Tell her to stay off the blue line headed to Forest Park, OK.

Yes, Blue Line to Forest Park=No No

Don't forget

Pink line

Green Line

Orange Line

Any part of Red Line south of Harrison

LOL

Old 10-23-2016, 08:29 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post
Yes, Blue Line to Forest Park=No No

Don't forget

Pink line

Green Line

Orange Line

Any part of Red Line south of Harrison

LOL

Don't really get what you're saying. The Pink and Green line go to some of the more happening parts of the West Loop. Red line south of Harrison? So you can't go to Roosevelt/South Loop or Chinatown? Sounds a bit silly.

OP, I'm glad your experience was great. Many people have the same surprise that you do. They hear the media and expect Chicago to be some crap hole, then visit and realize its an incredible city. Your daughter (and you with your visits) will have lots of great experiences to come.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:40 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
My son takes the Pink LIne every day to work during rush hour. Has not had a problem. Yes it does go through some dangerous areas. Every L line does. The brown line is deemed the safest by word of mouth or wags on the internet and it goes right by DePaul. I see no reason for any DePaul student to take the blue line to Forest Park really.

Glad you liked the city. It truly is beautiful and I've been in many places in the world and I've yet to see many that match the beauty of the Windy City.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:51 PM

171 posts, read 190,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Don't really get what you're saying. The Pink and Green line go to some of the more happening parts of the West Loop. Red line south of Harrison? So you can't go to Roosevelt/South Loop or Chinatown? Sounds a bit silly.

My point was to be EXTRA cautious on these lines out of the loop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago