Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,541 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of purchasing a condo in Pilsen on Wood and 17th. I visited it multiple times, and the area seems safe with a lot of families. I am just a little worried from hearing about the gang shootings on the facebook forum from time to time. I lived in University village for four years, which had a few problems, but never much gang activity. I will be commuting to the UIC medical campus on the ashland bus daily. My girlfriend will be living with me as well. Please let me know your input on the safety of the area. Please just people who have actually lived in Pilsen, not north siders who just hear rumors. I don't know if it matters but my girlfriend is korean, and I am half mexican, but look more like my polish mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 10:31 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,081,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDGunner7 View Post
I am just a little worried from hearing about the gang shootings on the facebook forum from time to time. I lived in University village for four years, which had a few problems, but never much gang activity.
You're asking the wrong question. It's not the gangs of Pilsen that are the problem. It's their rival gangs.

Gangs don't shoot at random bystanders in their own hood. It's the rival gangs.

So if you're half Hispanic you gotta worry about drive-by shootings. If you're Hispanic you should know, drive-by shootings is something that originated in the Stateville prison in Joliet in the mid-'70s. Prior to that people did walk-on shootings. There's about 4 people to thank for that.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,389,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
You're asking the wrong question. It's not the gangs of Pilsen that are the problem. It's their rival gangs.

Gangs don't shoot at random bystanders in their own hood. It's the rival gangs.

So if you're half Hispanic you gotta worry about drive-by shootings. If you're Hispanic you should know, drive-by shootings is something that originated in the Stateville prison in Joliet in the mid-'70s. Prior to that people did walk-on shootings. There's about 4 people to thank for that.
This is true but since they shoot about as well as they perform in school, it would be pretty much irrelevant whether they are shooting at you or not if you are present when something like this goes down!

This said, I think the risk of this happening is pretty low in Pilsen, and it will get lower as the neighborhood continues to gentrify. There are gangs in Pilsen still but if you use common sense (don't be stumbling around drunk at 3 a.m., be aware of your surroundings, etc.), you'll be ok.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 AM

636 posts, read 604,078 times
If you have to consult the innanet, you probably shouldn't move there.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:35 PM

796 posts, read 918,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
This is true but since they shoot about as well as they perform in school, it would be pretty much irrelevant whether they are shooting at you or not if you are present when something like this goes down!

This said, I think the risk of this happening is pretty low in Pilsen, and it will get lower as the neighborhood continues to gentrify. There are gangs in Pilsen still but if you use common sense (don't be stumbling around drunk at 3 a.m., be aware of your surroundings, etc.), you'll be ok.
is pilsen gentrifying west of ashland as well? I thought it was gentrifying moreso east of ashland closer to halsted.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,541 times
Thank you for the input. I just remember Pilsen from when my Uncle lived there 20 years ago. It seems as though the community is really trying to fight gang activity by calling 911 every time there is a shooting or tagging of buildings, but it still seems prevalent, especially in the southwest portions of the neighborhood. People complain they call the police for an incident, and it will take them at least 40 minutes to arrive; however, whenever I am on 18th street, I seem to notice a lot of police around. I have heard people saying police are more concentrated in areas with higher taxes, but they complain of Pilsen's taxes rising. It seems as though the neighborhood has improved much from decades past. I just wanted to make sure I would be relatively safe. Thank you

Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,389,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
is pilsen gentrifying west of ashland as well? I thought it was gentrifying moreso east of ashland closer to halsted.
I'd say the seeds are planted, yes. Investors are taking notice of the whole neighborhood and buying properties all the way to Western. That said, living west of Ashland will feel very different than living near 18th and Halsted but I think it will change pretty rapidly over the next 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago