Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:58 PM

13 posts, read 16,867 times

Advertisements

I'm not from Chicago but have experienced nightlife in many cities and honestly I think Chicago is the very best. It doesn't usually get mentioned with NYC, Las Vegas, LA, Miami, or even New Orleans as the top tier, and I honestly don't understand why. It has the best range of bars (from down-to-earth and divey to sophisticated and pretentious), great live music and other events throughout the city every day of the week, excellent clubs, cocktail lounges, dive bars, neighborhood spots, etc. And many of the higher end bars serve absolutely incredible food. Not to mention, unlike some of those other cities it's a true drinking town. Bars are a major part of the fabric of the city and are everywhere.

Anyway - I just wanted to point out that I think, while people know Chicago has good nightlife, it's underrated considering just how awesome it actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 04:16 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,825,478 times
I think in the US, it's not THAT underrated. I think the thing with Chicago's nightlife is that it's fairly well-known in the US, just not world reknown. It's kind of like Madrid, where they have an amazing nightlife, one of the best, but you don't hear people talk too much about it on a global scale. Where places like NYC, Miami, Las Vegas are world reknown. I think there is a certain celebrity and bling factor missing from Chicago's nightlife (not saying that is a good or bad thing) that make people not as informed on the nightlife, when I think it probably has one of the most diverse nightlifes in the country!

I think the nightlife is great, but I will say one thing I don't like is it's not as diverse in regards to demographics (although that is changing). The main nightlife areas, except for maybe Logan Square, tend to be very "white".

Old 05-09-2016, 06:13 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,860 times
I am so glad my drinking days were in Chicago. I look at the bars in Minneapolis and pity the people who are stuck drinking in the most boring bar atmosphere you can imagine: suburban bars are dreadful ( the music playing overhead with no CD player/jukebox, the patrons, etc..). I miss my Chicago.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:50 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
When people think "good nightlife", they often think of high-end <sung>G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S, yeah</sung> clubs. The kinds with a $30 cover (unless you're on the VIP list) and $20 martinis. You find plenty of those in cities like New York, Miami, and LA. Chicago just doesn't have the culture to support those. It's too down-to-earth and blue-collar, which works against these venues. It's a bar city, rather than a club city.

White Star Lounge, Crobar, Rednofive, and Excalibur/Vision/Castle all came and went. They were very fancy, with prices to match. In their heyday, they attracted quite a large crowd, but a bulk of it must have been tourists, as well as locals wanting to see what the hubbub is about. I tried Excalibur/Vision/Castle, and hated it. (Perhaps someone in Miami Beach would have a better time there.) But that wasn't enough to sustain them long-term.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
When people think "good nightlife", they often think of high-end <sung>G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S, yeah</sung> clubs. The kinds with a $30 cover (unless you're on the VIP list) and $20 martinis. You find plenty of those in cities like New York, Miami, and LA. Chicago just doesn't have the culture to support those. It's too down-to-earth and blue-collar, which works against these venues. It's a bar city, rather than a club city.

White Star Lounge, Crobar, Rednofive, and Excalibur/Vision/Castle all came and went. They were very fancy, with prices to match. In their heyday, they attracted quite a large crowd, but a bulk of it must have been tourists, as well as locals wanting to see what the hubbub is about. I tried Excalibur/Vision/Castle, and hated it. (Perhaps someone in Miami Beach would have a better time there.) But that wasn't enough to sustain them long-term.
Agreed. And this isn't a knock on Chicago at all, but that is why I think it's underrated and most people don't know how good it is. You have so many neighborhoods with great nightlife such as Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, River North, Streeterville, the West Loop. Those are all great places for nightlife. Not to mention other neighborhoods like Uptown, Ukrianian Village, Andersonville or Pilsen, which have their own thing going on as well when it comes to nightlife.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:06 AM

636 posts, read 612,463 times
Like others have said, it's a different kind of nightlife - more of an emphasis on neighborhood bars vs, the megaclubs of elsewhere. As a result, I've felt Chicago to be pretentious and more inclusive as well.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:58 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

I still think the core areas near the center of the city (River North / Gold Coast / Streeterville) do maintain this ambiance a bit, but more in terms of fancy lounges & upscale bars with a scattering of clubs as well.

Chicago does have more of a market for this than any other Midwest city. The combination of nearby yuppie money along with our equivalent of greasy & diverse bridge & tunnelers that come in from Schaumburg / Skokie / Naperville or wherever (think New Jersey for Manhattan) provides a lot of these places with a steady market.

Even in NYC, the megaclub era is not what it once was. Manhattan has also trended much more towards the fancy lounge scene more than anything else.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 AM

291 posts, read 277,484 times
The nightclub era of NYC has been all but dead for a while. What replaced it is the meatpacking district style hotel-bar-club like Gansevoort, Jane, Dream, etc. I don't think Chicago has anything like those places. Chicago probably has as many straight up dance club style 'nightclubs' as NYC. Vegas totally dominates this scene in the USA. Almost all of the top 20 biggest nightclubs are in Vegas. Aside from those hotel clubs I don't find Chicago nightlife all that different than NYC. NYC night life is mostly about bars too. LA nightlife totally sucks. Probably Chicago nightlife is not under-rated it's that LA and NYC nightlife are way OVER-rated.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:17 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I still think the core areas near the center of the city (River North / Gold Coast / Streeterville) do maintain this ambiance a bit, but more in terms of fancy lounges & upscale bars with a scattering of clubs as well.

Chicago does have more of a market for this than any other Midwest city. The combination of nearby yuppie money along with our equivalent of greasy & diverse bridge & tunnelers that come in from Schaumburg / Skokie / Naperville or wherever (think New Jersey for Manhattan) provides a lot of these places with a steady market.

Even in NYC, the megaclub era is not what it once was. Manhattan has also trended much more towards the fancy lounge scene more than anything else.
?? What do you mean by greasy and diverse?

Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
The nightclub era of NYC has been all but dead for a while. What replaced it is the meatpacking district style hotel-bar-club like Gansevoort, Jane, Dream, etc. I don't think Chicago has anything like those places. Chicago probably has as many straight up dance club style 'nightclubs' as NYC. Vegas totally dominates this scene in the USA. Almost all of the top 20 biggest nightclubs are in Vegas. Aside from those hotel clubs I don't find Chicago nightlife all that different than NYC. NYC night life is mostly about bars too. LA nightlife totally sucks. Probably Chicago nightlife is not under-rated it's that LA and NYC nightlife are way OVER-rated.
I agree I think Chicago and NYC have the most similar nightlife venues in regards to bards and lounges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago