Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:19 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I think we need to have gulag type work camps for gun violence. If you are caught with a gun without having an FOID card, you go to jail in a hard labor work camp.
Because the card makes you safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 06:29 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Because the card makes you safe?
I think his thought was more along the lines of gang members do not care about laws and thus would never bother to get a FOID card.

Again, our politically correct system will not allow us to correct the problem (FOID card or not). There has to be harsh punishment to deter gun violence. Punishment that our society will not allow! so given that fact, let the killing continue and do your best to stay away from the gang infested areas, where your chances of becoming an innocent bystander are higher than normal.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:39 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I think his thought was more along the lines of gang members do not care about laws and thus would never bother to get a FOID card.

Again, our politically correct system will not allow us to correct the problem (FOID card or not). There has to be harsh punishment to deter gun violence. Punishment that our society will not allow! so given that fact, let the killing continue and do your best to stay away from the gang infested areas, where your chances of becoming an innocent bystander are higher than normal.
Murder is (and has been) illegal in Illinois for quite a while - and I don't think the penalties for murder in Illinois are any less severe than anywhere else in the country. Illinois doesn't need any new gun laws, they need to effectively enforce the existing murder laws. If the will of the populace is to *not* enforce the existing laws on murder, then the populace is just reaping what they've sown.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:01 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post

Harsh punishments do NOT deter crime in general. It may keep the individual offender from offending again because he is dead or off the streets, but it does nothing to keep others from criminal activity.

Do severe punishments deter crime? - Law Matters - Castanet.net

Quote:
There is a growing acceptance that people commit crimes for reasons other than some rational decision-making process; people also commit crimes for psychological, social, or economic reasons. At least for me, I am skeptical (which is an understatement) that people think to themselves, “I choose to assault this person because the penalty does not currently outweigh the benefits of assaulting this person”. I am more inclined to believe that an assault would occur because of some psychological/social reason.
Quote:
it has been found that the deterrent effect exists more with the certainty of punishment (probability of being caught) than the severity of punishment. So, if we want to reduce crime, measures should be taken to ensure that more offenders are caught (and subsequently prosecuted), rather than making amendments to the Criminal Code, creating harsher sentences.
Report Says Long Sentences Don't Deter Crime - Business Insider

Quote:
An analysis of a federal program in Virginia that imposed more severe punishments for gun crimes found that "the threat of enhanced sentences had no apparent deterrent effect," the report said.
Interestingly, harsher penalties do seem to deter lesser crimes like burglary, but they have little effect on gun crimes.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:29 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
We do. It's called the U.S. prison system. Billion dollar industry.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...163005314.html

"The prison industry has also made money by contracting prison labor to private companies. The companies that have benefited from this cheap labor include Starbucks (SBUX), Boeing (BA), Victoria’s Secret, McDonalds (MCD) and even the U.S. military. Prison laborers cost between 93 cents and $4 a day and don’t need to collect benefits, thus making them cheap employees.

Federal Prison Industries, a company that contracts out prison labor, made over $900 million in revenue last year. FPI has prisoners working in apparel, clean energy, printing, document conversion and call centers. While FPI claims that prisoners are gaining real-world skills and learning trades, some argue otherwise."
Our prison system is truly a supply and demand situation. Reduce the supply of criminals and you will reduce the demand for prisons!

Old 05-22-2016, 12:20 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is usually true if you live in a safe neighborhood. If someone is living in Streeterville/ Old Town/ Gold Coast/ Lincoln Park/ many other neighborhoods, they most likely will always stay safe if they're not in a gang or buying drugs. Gang/ drug problems are pretty much non-existent in these areas. If they want to get involved in these activities, they'd have to go to more dangerous neighborhoods, where your chances of becoming a victim of violent crime dramatically increases.

I don't know much about Bronzeville, but just looking at where it's located on the South Side, I would say that just avoiding drugs/gangs won't necessarily guarantee your safety there. You're chances of being a victim there is going to be higher than it would be in a good neighborhood, even if you aren't involved in gangs/drugs. When "everyone here says you'll always be safe as long as you're not in a gang or buying drugs," I think most are assuming that you're not living in a dangerous neighborhood.
I think conventional wisdom says that there's no guarantee of safety anywhere (Stuff happens everywhere) but your odds of being a victim of this kind of violence are reduced drastically by not being part of the gang/drug lifestyle. Avoiding that lifestyle isn't going to guarantee your safety anywhere, but it definitely improves your odds.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Murder is (and has been) illegal in Illinois for quite a while - and I don't think the penalties for murder in Illinois are any less severe than anywhere else in the country. Illinois doesn't need any new gun laws, they need to effectively enforce the existing murder laws. If the will of the populace is to *not* enforce the existing laws on murder, then the populace is just reaping what they've sown.
Agreed. Honestly, when reading the news, it's baffling to me how many perpetrators of violence are out on bail, parole or probation for violent offenses and/or gun charges. Can't we keep some of these people, who are obvious threats to society, locked up?

Old 05-22-2016, 12:33 PM

796 posts, read 931,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
It's hard to believe. Everyone here says you'll always be safe as long as you're not in a gang or buying drugs. And according to Rahm, things have never been better in Chicago.
of course things are great for rahm. he has a 24/7 armed security team of police officers who guard him and his house. what's he got to worry about???

Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 PM

198 posts, read 236,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Agreed. Honestly, when reading the news, it's baffling to me how many perpetrators of violence are out on bail, parole or probation for violent offenses and/or gun charges. Can't we keep some of these people, who are obvious threats to society, locked up?
The criminal justice system has become too politicized to deal with the realities of crime. The facts are that blacks and hispanics commit a higher proportion of violent crime than whites, crimes which result in generally tougher sentences. The end result is prisons and jails disproportionately filled with minorities. Leftist groups grab on to race/prison stats and then the question turns from "why aren't we incarcerating criminals for gun offenses?" to "why are so many young black men imprisoned?" Thus, lighter sentences, parole and probation, etc...

Old 05-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
The criminal justice system has become too politicized to deal with the realities of crime. The facts are that blacks and hispanics commit a higher proportion of violent crime than whites, crimes which result in generally tougher sentences. The end result is prisons and jails disproportionately filled with minorities. Leftist groups grab on to race/prison stats and then the question turns from "why aren't we incarcerating criminals for gun offenses?" to "why are so many young black men imprisoned?" Thus, lighter sentences, parole and probation, etc...
I think that has more to do with overcrowding, and a system that's been overwhelmed by sheer volume, rather than race.

Last edited by quigboto; 05-22-2016 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago