Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:33 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times

Advertisements

Not to mention having a "half black" business partner gets him access to a certain pool of money (p.s. there are no "half blacks" in America), and hiring minorities has its financial benefits. Let's not pretend he's doing it out of the goodness of his heart. The disdain you have for your workers is evident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,312 times
The amount of excuses are incredible. Since we are going down this path, here is the deal:

1. All cash, no benefits: were talking about, at most, 8 hours a week of work. Would you provide benefits to a neighbor kid cutting your lawn?

2. As for the Alderman, when you apply for permits and work with your Alderman, they ask if you can hire minority workers, if feasible, that's as far as it goes.

3. I've never hired an illegal immigrant, ever (unless they forged docs); I typically hire: Mexican Immigrants, Polish Immigrants, College Kids (lots of college kids), and African Americans typically from Humbold Park or Lawndale (as that is where my half black partner/brother in law is from)

100% of the AA's haven't worked out, for whatever reason, they collect their money and I never see them again. They are not treated any differently, in fact, they are typically the only ones on site; I haven't had problems with any other group of people...ever.

What is my point? I'm not sure, but I truly believe a big part of the AA culture (at least in Chicago) is to play the victim card and avoid work, I know that is harsh, but I truly believe that, and I see it with my own eyes. Of course not everyone is like that, but I'll be damned if I haven't received most of them with my business.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:07 PM

937 posts, read 927,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
The amount of excuses are incredible. Since we are going down this path, here is the deal:

1. All cash, no benefits: were talking about, at most, 8 hours a week of work. Would you provide benefits to a neighbor kid cutting your lawn?
There's the devil in the details I was looking for.
So you pay your workers less than they would make working at McDonalds?
Are you assuming your labor pool can't do basic math?
You get **** labor because you hire at a **** rate!
Quote:
2. As for the Alderman, when you apply for permits and work with your Alderman, they ask if you can hire minority workers, if feasible, that's as far as it goes.
I find that difficult to believe... Many municipal projects are subject to MWBE mandates if they receive any city funding.
I don't know if your projects do so I don't know.
Quote:
3. I've never hired an illegal immigrant, ever (unless they forged docs); I typically hire: Mexican Immigrants, Polish Immigrants, College Kids (lots of college kids), and African Americans typically from Humboldt Park or Lawndale (as that is where my half black partner/brother in law is from)
If you pay them cash, does it really matter that they're illegal?
Quote:
100% of the AA's haven't worked out, for whatever reason, they collect their money and I never see them again. They are not treated any differently, in fact, they are typically the only ones on site; I haven't had problems with any other group of people...ever.
I think they've realized they'd be better off looking for part-time work in fast food... Or maybe they go off to community college. Maybe they get into gang violence. Maybe they just didn't want to carry bricks.
There's a plethora of reasons for any candidate not to want to be employed doing this work...
Isn't this the kind of work construction workers do and get paid UNION checks for (I'm outrageously simplifying that)? What makes you think you're going to get any kind of long term labor?
Quote:
What is my point? I'm not sure, but I truly believe a big part of the AA culture (at least in Chicago) is to play the victim card and avoid work, I know that is harsh, but I truly believe that, and I see it with my own eyes. Of course not everyone is like that, but I'll be damned if I haven't received most of them with my business.
You either get s*** people because you give sh** conditions and labor. It's nearly evident.
I'd ask who your alderman was to get more details because this is worth submitting to a local newspaper to investigate but I respect online anonymity.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
There's the devil in the details I was looking for.
So you pay your workers less than they would make working at McDonalds?
Are you assuming your labor pool can't do basic math?
You get **** labor because you hire at a **** rate!
Correction: I get **** AA labor, I actually get fantastic workers, many of whom have done dozens of projects with me. I'm happy for the AA's if they can get better jobs, though I doubt that is the case.

Quote:
I find that difficult to believe... Many municipal projects are subject to MWBE mandates if they receive any city funding.
I don't know if your projects do so I don't know.
Not sure what you are talking about, I'm simply applying for a permit, where in fact, I am the one paying. Not sure what is hard to believe.

Quote:
If you pay them cash, does it really matter that they're illegal?
Someone else brought up Illegal's and their willingness to work in certain conditions an American wouldn't.

Quote:
I think they've realized they'd be better off looking for part-time work in fast food... Or maybe they go off to community college. Maybe they get into gang violence. Maybe they just didn't want to carry bricks.
There's a plethora of reasons for any candidate not to want to be employed doing this work...
Isn't this the kind of work construction workers do and get paid UNION checks for? What makes you think you're going to get any kind of long term labor?
Well I'm glad the African American community has resolved their problems, and they can all turn down the work. Again, I have long term labor, in fact majority of my guys are long term...except for the African Americans that is.

Quote:
You either get s*** people because you give sh** conditions and labor. It's nearly evident.
I'd ask who your alderman was to get more details because this is worth submitting to a local newspaper to investigate but I respect online anonymity.
Oh the horror, filling up a wheelbarrow with bricks and moving them to a tarp; and sweeping and picking up garbage. I only did similar labor for 4 years in college and all through high school.
My god are you dramatic, and in denial of the reality that is going on in Black Communities, but blame me, the one who is willing to give work to teenage and 20 something African American's who don't have much else going on in their lives (according to them)

Old 06-08-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Correction: I get **** AA labor, I actually get fantastic workers, many of whom have done dozens of projects with me. I'm happy for the AA's if they can get better jobs, though I doubt that is the case.
[Missing quote]
Not sure what you are talking about, I'm simply applying for a permit, where in fact, I am the one paying. Not sure what is hard to believe.
Are you receiving any money from the city for these projects or are contractually obligated to the City?
If so, then they're usually subject to MWBE compliance measures.
If not, then they don't apply.

Quote:
Well I'm glad the African American community has resolved their problems, and they can all turn down the work. Again, I have long term labor, in fact majority of my guys are long term...except for the African Americans that is.
Oh the horror, filling up a wheelbarrow with bricks and moving them to a tarp; and sweeping and picking up garbage. I only did similar labor for 4 years in college and all through high school.
My god are you dramatic[/quote]
I believe you're the one dramatizing. Even if it's sarcastic.
If you give your laborers only 8 hours per week. You pay your employees LESS than the minimum wage they could make elsewhere.
You make it real easy to leave.
Gonna just ignore that, huh?
Isn't that illegal or is that why you pay them in cash?
You're a crap employer.
Quote:
and in denial of the reality that is going on in Black Communities, but blame me, the one who is willing to give work to teenage and 20 something African American's who don't have much else going on in their lives (according to them)
Comments like these are why you deserve the label "ignorant."
Do you traverse other message boards targeting heroin or meth usage in rural America with the same prejudice?

Before placing labels where they don't belong consider how ignorant you sound.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Are you receiving any money from the city for these projects or are contractually obligated to the City?
If so, then they're usually subject to MWBE compliance measures.
If not, then they don't apply.

My god are you dramatic
If you give your laborers only 8 hours per week. You pay your employees LESS than the minimum wage they could make elsewhere.
You make it real easy to leave.
Gonna just ignore that, huh?
Isn't that illegal or is that why you pay them in cash?
You're a crap employer.

Comments like these are why you deserve the label "ignorant."
Do you traverse other message boards targeting heroin or meth usage in rural America with the same prejudice?

Before placing labels where they don't belong consider how ignorant you sound.[/quote]

__________________________________________________ __________
I don't receive any money from the city, are you familiar with the permit process in Chicago?

How is giving someone 8 hrs a week any different than paying someone to tend to my lawn once a week or a handyman to fix something in my house when it needs fixing? How is this job any different? Seriously how is it any different? I own and rehab upwards of 10 projects at a time in the city, and need short term labor, is this a foreign concept to you?

There are lots of losers out there, many of whom are white and drugged out. I grew up in a poor neighborhood of Manhattan, I've seen them all within a block of my house. I'm not sure how that is relevant, stupidity isn't exclusive to Blacks, but they sure do seem to make up the majority in Chicago. Can you deny that?

Old 06-08-2016, 07:58 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times
Would YOU work for your business for 8 hours a week?! Who can support themselves on 8 hours of work a week??? Yo think these people should be happy you've given them an opportunity. 8 hours a week is basically one day a week. Immigrants usually do things like pool money because they have to. Black Americans were born here and shouldn't have to live like immigrants.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
How is giving someone 8 hrs a week any different than paying someone to tend to my lawn once a week or a handyman to fix something in my house when it needs fixing? How is this job any different? Seriously how is it any different? I own and rehab upwards of 10 projects at a time in the city, and need short term labor, is this a foreign concept to you?
I don't have the exact data but I know from experience dealing with plumbers and other laborers who work with their hands on various projects that Handymen usually charge FAR more than $14...
You're not keeping up with market rates for even menial labor and the clientele you do keep seem too naive to know...
Quote:
There are lots of losers out there, many of whom are white and drugged out. I grew up in a poor neighborhood of Manhattan, I've seen them all within a block of my house. I'm not sure how that is relevant, stupidity isn't exclusive to Blacks, but they sure do seem to make up the majority in Chicago. Can you deny that?
You and and many other people else grew up in a poor neighborhood. Get over yourself.
Refuting or accepting that only serves a binary purpose.
That's a simple answer to a complicated problem.
Caustic. Ignorant and caustic is the label you really deserve.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Would YOU work for your business for 8 hours a week?! Who can support themselves on 8 hours of work a week??? Yo think these people should be happy you've given them an opportunity. 8 hours a week is basically one day a week. Immigrants usually do things like pool money because they have to. Black Americans were born here and shouldn't have to live like immigrants.
Yes, I've worked for someone like me for 8 years, plus several other odd jobs all at the same time. I hire many non immigrants too; why are blacks any different? Why are they special? Why shouldn't they have to live like immigrants? The immigrants are the ones working hard? Perhaps the blacks can take a couple pages out of the immigrant book, no?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I don't have the exact data but I know from experience dealing with plumbers and other laborers who work with their hands on various projects that Handymen usually charge FAR more than $14...
You're not keeping up with market rates for even menial labor and the clientele you do keep seem too naive to know...

You and and many other people else grew up in a poor neighborhood. Get over yourself.
Refuting or accepting that only serves a binary purpose.
That's a simple answer to a complicated problem.
Caustic. Ignorant and caustic is the label you really deserve.
Continue to make excuses and name call. I'm renovating $19M worth of property at the moment, and pay simple dumb labor at a rate that I never have trouble filling a job, I know what i'm doing.

You can make whatever excuses you want, the reality is, and my initial point many posts ago, is that the Black Community has major problems, many of them are self inflicted, and the poor me attitude is pathetic. Get and Keep a job, and take care of yourself. Why is that so hard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago