Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:40 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,392,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
OK, but this has nothing to do with 1. Whether or not there is police misconduct and 2. Whether or not groups like BLM should be able to fight police misconduct.

Whether there's one case of police brutality or a million, I think most reasonable people would agree people have a right to voice their opinions on that brutality. Whether or not there are other, more serious issues, does not mean the problem doesn't exist, or that people shouldn't voice their opinions.

If there's a serial molester out there, we don't say "well there are millions of people dying in Africa, therefore it's just some first world women getting molested, so not a big deal in the grand scheme of things". One has nothing to do with the other.
I don't know if I'd compare police officers to serial molesters. But that aside, the nexus, violence in the black community, is what is leading to the volume of police encounters which in turn invariably leads to injury and misconduct on the part of a tiny minority of police officers. So basically, BLM is focusing on an effect, not the cause. I just think their time could be better used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 01:17 PM

347 posts, read 516,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I'm not a Leftist. And I don't even like BLM. Instead of resorting to childlike insults, why don't you respond to what I wrote?

Again, the incident in question has NOTHING to do with BLM. The fact that you're blaming BLM for things that have nothing to do with BLM makes it pretty clear that you don't particularly care about people getting murdered, and don't particularly care about police misconduct.
I did respond to what you wrote. You asserted that BLM and leftists have nothing to do with black crime and violence. I demonstrated how BLM and leftists are chief enablers of black crime, such as the LSD tragedy, by excusing and rationalizing black misconduct. You apparently don't want blacks to be held responsible for their actions. It's just easier to blame it on the man, right?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:37 PM

636 posts, read 604,400 times
Obviously their name seems like a misnomer to some. Yes, their focus is police misconduct, and in such a discussion it is a deflection to invoke killings within the black community. However, this other violence isn't irrelevant since the end result is dead black people (primarily young men).

To go on a slight tangent about the violence...you'll have people that say the National Guard needs to be brought in to stabilize some neighborhoods, which is a horrible idea since they'd be viewed as an occupying force and likely treated as such. At some point, someone is going to have to engage the gang leadership, the absence of which is a big part of the current violence to begin with. Any change likely has to come from within though, since it's clear city leaders are inept and/or disinterested.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:52 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,392,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Obviously their name seems like a misnomer to some. Yes, their focus is police misconduct, and in such a discussion it is a deflection to invoke killings within the black community. However, this other violence isn't irrelevant since the end result is dead black people (primarily young men).

To go on a slight tangent about the violence...you'll have people that say the National Guard needs to be brought in to stabilize some neighborhoods, which is a horrible idea since they'd be viewed as an occupying force and likely treated as such. At some point, someone is going to have to engage the gang leadership, the absence of which is a big part of the current violence to begin with. Any change likely has to come from within though, since it's clear city leaders are inept and/or disinterested.
This isn't 1979 when a gang leader like Cyrus can get the Baseball Furies, the Boppers, the Riffs, and the Jones Street Boys together and call a truce. Today's gangs are considerably less organized and more splintered than they once were. And gang leaders don't usually trust authority, so why are they going to cooperate anyway?

Aside from that, a large chunk of the killings we're seeing relate to petty disputes or "dissings." Someone smashes someone down at a party and that person returns to said party 20 minutes later with a gun and starts shooting up the place. This problem stems from lack of morals, respect and social structure. I don't think a talk from a gang leader will stop that from happening.

I'd say at some point, someone (preferably the parents but realistically probably boarding type schools like DC's SEED schools) will be necessary to engage the disadvantaged kids committing the crimes early, so their response to getting their a-s kicked isn't to go get a gun and try to kill everyone in the vicinity.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Right, but there are so many issues within the black community, and almost no vocal organizations stepping up to stop the black on black crime. I believe the criticism of BLM comes from the fact they are very specific in what their intentions/mission is, but none of it addresses the underlying issues in the black community.
You are wrong. Black leaders and organizations do address the crime within the community.

Do black leaders ignore black-on-black crime? - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Sharpton made a publicized trip to Chicago in November to focus attention on the city's chronic violence. Last year, Michelle Obama attended the funeral of Hadiya Pendleton, a 15-year-old black honor student who was shot, allegedly by a black gang member.
Quote:
Doesn't sound like they've been ignoring or excusing this sort of violence. Plenty of black leaders and organizations in Chicago and elsewhere spend a lot of time and energy trying to prevent crime in their communities. There are rallies, conferences, prayer vigils and gun turn-in days. Last year, thousands of volunteers manned "Safe Passage" routes to get children to school unharmed.

Have Riley and MacCallum and other critics publicized those events and programs? If not, why not? If so, why do they now act as though they don't exist?
Quote:
It's no secret that rates of violent crime are far higher among blacks than among whites. What is generally overlooked is that these rates have dropped sharply over the past two decades. The Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice reports that violent crime by young blacks has plunged 60 percent.
Quote:
There's another, bigger problem with the preoccupation with "black-on-black crime." The term suggests race is the only important factor. Most crimes are committed by males, but we don't refer to "male-on-male crime." Whites in the South are substantially more prone to homicide than those in New England, but no one laments "Southerner-on-Southerner crime." Why does crime involving people of African descent deserve its own special category?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:32 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,596,185 times
Can't reason with people like this.

They would rather point out black on black crime in crime riddled poverty stricken segments of the united states than talk about mass shootings that are happening all time in universities, health clinics, movie theaters, schools and cities all over the united states.

I love when people start threads like this. It at least confirms what I have known all along. There are a lot of really screwed up people in this world. I wish we could put a face to match to comments made on city-data. Would discover that there are a lot of managers, HR personnel, business owners, engineers, recruiters and such that make some of the worst comments and have some of the worst mentalities possible.

Stress less. Keep your circle tight. If you have anyone you love, don't hesitate to let them know. Find something you enjoy and do it as often as you can.

People suck and this world is going to sh*ts.

Last edited by usamathman; 06-03-2016 at 07:45 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
There are many groups protesting black on black crime.
Which ones may those be in Chicago? Just curious.

I'm incredulous as to why the most prominent movement in this country to protect the dignity and safety of African-American lives targets the rare occurrence in which a white cop kills an unarmed black male when the majority of homicide victims in our majority-white cities tend to be African-American males. Something like ~90% of homicide victims annually here in Pittsburgh are African-Americans, and they comprise just over 25% of our population. There may be ONE instance of racially-motivated and/or racially-insensitive policing from a white cop towards an African-American in this city annually, yet THIS is what the populist "Black Lives Matter" movement opts to focus their efforts upon? Why?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:20 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,937,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Which ones may those be in Chicago? Just curious.

I'm incredulous as to why the most prominent movement in this country to protect the dignity and safety of African-American lives targets the rare occurrence in which a white cop kills an unarmed black male when the majority of homicide victims in our majority-white cities tend to be African-American males. Something like ~90% of homicide victims annually here in Pittsburgh are African-Americans, and they comprise just over 25% of our population. There may be ONE instance of racially-motivated and/or racially-insensitive policing from a white cop towards an African-American in this city annually, yet THIS is what the populist "Black Lives Matter" movement opts to focus their efforts upon? Why?
Because acknowledging that Black culture in this country has major issues, and they are their own worst enemy doesn't fit the narrative of "victim" they are trying to portray. I'm wholeheartedly convinced that, in general, Black America is doomed and will not improve in my lifetime.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:31 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,373,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
First of all stop putting labels on people! I don't allow it in my world. Its something media and stupid people use to make themselves feel comfortable and gives small minds an identity.

There is nothing wrong with BLM going after LE for police misconduct.
Hey mjt!

Where have you been?? Haven't see you in a while

Old 06-03-2016, 10:48 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,982,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No they just respect their own lives and those of the general public more than the lives of armed offenders resisting arrest. Nearly all the so-called victims would be alive today if they got on the ground with their hands behind their backs.

Laquan Mcdonald was high on PCP suspected of breaking into vehicles, brandishing a knife, and lunging at officers and damaging police vehicles and not complying with instructions to drop the knife and surrender.

Michael Brown robbed a convenient store and beat a cop so bad he nearly fractured the officer's skull and finally did not comply with instructions to surrender.

The list goes on and they would likely have suffered the same fate no mater what race they were but the fact they were black fits the distorted narrative that the police are evil racist murderers.

If you want the police to respect your life then don't commit crimes and if you do do not resist arrest. When you resist arrest whatever misfortune you suffer is your own fault as it becomes the officer's judgement how much force he should use to safely subdue you.
Thanks or stating the obvious. There would be no police brutality if certain groups didn't commit so many criminal acts and behave as described above. Most of the time "police brutality" is just the police doing their jobs. They deal with the worst of the worst - many think they are above the law. BLM isn't helping your cause - it's just another cover up for perpetual bad behavior. Deal with black crime and the rest goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago