Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 597 times

Advertisements

Back in December when I moved in. There was repairs that needed to be done. Landlord said they would be fixed asap. toilets that don't flush properly,nbroken door with a partially broken lock. Etc. I moved in because I needed a place asap because prior landlord was going back to phillipines.

Any way may 17 he finally replaced door, but removed bolt from the lock so the door can't be properly shut and definitely can't be locked at all. Despite repeated request for the door to be fixed it hasn't been. And have a dangerous neighbor across hall who is threatening people with knives etc and yes he's been arrested and now denied bond. But still leaves me without any defense and a door that can't stop even an ant from opening

Any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 06:21 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,891,803 times
Others more knowledgeable can weigh in as to what you can do. I would find a way to move as soon as possible. No landlord should leave a door that can't be locked. What is wrong with him? Have you asked him, what is his response? I would ask someone to help me write a letter to him and tell him you need it fixed as soon as possible. Be more specific as to what needs to be fixed or what the problem is. I'd send the letter certified or registered mail. If all else fails, I'd probably get a locksmith and install a lock on the door and I would tell him that but making sure you also provide him a key and then see if you can deduct it from the security deposit. There might be people on here that have more experience with this kind of thing.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,796,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl201469 View Post
Back in December when I moved in. There was repairs that needed to be done. Landlord said they would be fixed asap. toilets that don't flush properly,nbroken door with a partially broken lock. Etc. I moved in because I needed a place asap because prior landlord was going back to phillipines.

Any way may 17 he finally replaced door, but removed bolt from the lock so the door can't be properly shut and definitely can't be locked at all. Despite repeated request for the door to be fixed it hasn't been. And have a dangerous neighbor across hall who is threatening people with knives etc and yes he's been arrested and now denied bond. But still leaves me without any defense and a door that can't stop even an ant from opening

Any suggestions
If you have all of that documented, I'm sure it would be easy to break the lease and just move out. I don't know all the legal details, but I know that things like working locks, running water, working toilets, etc are required to be provided by the landlord. What you describe would definitely give you legal grounds for breaking the lease. There are a lot of free/volunteer legal services in the city that could give you guidance on exactly how to proceed. If I were you I would just plan to break the lease and move to a safer/nicer place.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,397,972 times
Eh....you need to get out of there asap. What are you thinking? Your safety should be #1.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:00 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,359,171 times
If he fails to make timely repairs I believe you have the right to make them yourself or hire someone and deduct it from rent.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:54 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,130,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If he fails to make timely repairs I believe you have the right to make them yourself or hire someone and deduct it from rent.
This.

If you have written records of having notified him of a health or safety issue and he fails to act, you have the legal right to implement repairs yourself and deduct them from rent, providing him with the receipts. You can't do things like intentionally go with the most outrageous bid you get for the repairs, and you can't deduct your own time (with the possible exception of if you're licensed to do that sort of repair and the bill comes from your company). But with proper notice - usually two weeks, although it might be less for certain kinds of repairs - you can do the repairs yourself and bill him.

If you go that route, I recommend sending him a certified letter about the issue, keeping a copy yourself with the receipt from the certified mailing, and then proceed as needed. It's certainly cheaper than moving, although you have to weigh your own peace of mind against that, too.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,130,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
This.

If you have written records of having notified him of a health or safety issue and he fails to act, you have the legal right to implement repairs yourself and deduct them from rent, providing him with the receipts. You can't do things like intentionally go with the most outrageous bid you get for the repairs, and you can't deduct your own time (with the possible exception of if you're licensed to do that sort of repair and the bill comes from your company). But with proper notice - usually two weeks, although it might be less for certain kinds of repairs - you can do the repairs yourself and bill him.

If you go that route, I recommend sending him a certified letter about the issue, keeping a copy yourself with the receipt from the certified mailing, and then proceed as needed. It's certainly cheaper than moving, although you have to weigh your own peace of mind against that, too.

If you want to remove the time of mailing from it, you can also serve him written notice in the presence of a witness if you can see him in person. It's also a good idea to keep records of any phone calls you made. These weigh less in court, but help establish your attempts to communicate with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago