Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:26 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
Would that be for LGBTQs or for everybody? I am curious because I am moving to Chicago soon, I happen to be gay, and I'd like to eventually settle down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Chicago is a phenomenal city to be gay and single in. There are financial issues with the city and state but it has so many offerings for the LGBT community. If you were wanting to buy a house and settle down then maybe not but it is really a great city for gays. The dating pool is quite large.
I'm gay and own a home in Chicago. I like Chicago a lot. I've lived here for most of my adult life, almost 20 years. I've owned my place here for 12 years.

Violent crime in Chicago is mostly in parts of the city newcomers are unlikely to want to locate in or even visit, the only real exception is the Uptown neighborhood. Overall, Chicago's reputation for crime is overstated. Statistically our crime rates are lower than many other major American cities, but because they're worse than New York or LA for the most part, the raw numbers tend to look big.

The government budgets in Illinois, Cook County, and Chicago are all in bad shape, primarily because of underfunding of public employee pensions. This will cause certain taxes to rise, and probably some reduction in government services. The taxes will impact different types of citizens at different points, as will the changes to government services. However, plenty of people both in and outside of Chicago are still making long-term bets on Chicago and the Chicago region. Downtown is full of ongoing new construction and thousands of new residents moving from all over, as are many of the more popular neighborhoods. The economy overall is growing.

Overall, I see no reason not to move here. I also see no reason not to buy a home if you are serious about staying here long-term and it makes financial sense and/or buying is the only way to live in a part of Chicago you want to live. In short, don't pay credence to all the negative press about Chicago. We're a big city with a lot going on, with the popular parts growing and even thriving. Yes, there are parts of Chicago doing poorly - even very poorly - and if you wanted to work to improve those areas, you'd be welcome to help. But if you wanted to move here, like most people do, and simply enjoy the life you can have in the parts of the city that are thriving, you can live a very fine life here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:04 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Mostly good advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I'm gay and own a home in Chicago. I like Chicago a lot. I've lived here for most of my adult life, almost 20 years. I've owned my place here for 12 years.

Violent crime in Chicago is mostly in parts of the city newcomers are unlikely to want to locate in or even visit, the only real exception is the Uptown neighborhood. Overall, Chicago's reputation for crime is overstated. Statistically our crime rates are lower than many other major American cities, but because they're worse than New York or LA for the most part, the raw numbers tend to look big.

The government budgets in Illinois, Cook County, and Chicago are all in bad shape, primarily because of underfunding of public employee pensions. This will cause certain taxes to rise, and probably some reduction in government services. The taxes will impact different types of citizens at different points, as will the changes to government services. However, plenty of people both in and outside of Chicago are still making long-term bets on Chicago and the Chicago region. Downtown is full of ongoing new construction and thousands of new residents moving from all over, as are many of the more popular neighborhoods. The economy overall is growing.

Overall, I see no reason not to move here. I also see no reason not to buy a home if you are serious about staying here long-term and it makes financial sense and/or buying is the only way to live in a part of Chicago you want to live. In short, don't pay credence to all the negative press about Chicago. We're a big city with a lot going on, with the popular parts growing and even thriving. Yes, there are parts of Chicago doing poorly - even very poorly - and if you wanted to work to improve those areas, you'd be welcome to help. But if you wanted to move here, like most people do, and simply enjoy the life you can have in the parts of the city that are thriving, you can live a very fine life here.
I would caution that the rate of growth for Chicago's employment base and housing is very much tilted toward those with skills earned in college and neighborhoods filled with the well off -- Downtown Prosperity, Neighborhood Neglect

The key points for emathias' success almost certainly have more than a little bit to do with his chosen career and the investment he has made in his own education. Few folks who work in the relatively robust software / internet sector in ANY PART of the country are doing poorly; for folks like emathias who've also earned a well respect advanced degree from an Ivy League school they could probably make their home base in someplace like Camden NJ or Birmingham, Alabama and still have a very pleasant life.

In fact, one might even argue that if the OP does not have such skills / credentials the relative pressure on Chicago's housing might make another area with lower cost of living a wiser choice. I recently came across some interesting stories --

How One Man Created A Safe Space for the Pittsburgh LGBT Community

Cleveland, other Ohio cities praised for LGBT laws, policies | cleveland.com

My Dallas Story: Thriving in the LGBT Community

Census: Colorado sees 60 percent increase in same-sex couples – The Denver Post

Old 06-09-2016, 03:26 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
So I guess I have a few questions for you. Are you looking to just rent? Do you hold a college degree? What's your career in? Having those answers will help people give you better advice.

In regards to the fiscal problems of Chicago, if you are single, renting and make decent money, you don't have much to worry about. If you were moving to the city with kids and looking to buy I would be more concerned, just because the public schools are starting to suffer and have been plagued with many issues for quite some time. Also, property taxes are something that would have me an uneasy if I were looking to buy. In regards to crime, that's limited to a few sections of the city and if you live outside of that (as I imagine you will) you should be TOTALLY fine. Nothing to worry about at all.

In regards to career, blue collar jobs seem to be disappearing more and more every day, while white collar jobs arent' booming or growing extensively but stable. So if you are looking to build a career in media, fashion, music, etc., Chicago would be tough. But if you want something in finance, marketing, architecture, etc, you should be perfectly fine.

Chicago is an amazing city, and I really think it's worth giving it a try. It's the best bang for your buck when it comes to large and dense American cities. I am actually leaving Chicago in 2017 and it has nothing to do with the city, but moreso I have been here 30 years and I need a change. Not sure if I will come back, but if Miami/South Florida is not to my liking I will for sure be back to Chicago as I wouldn't want to live anywhere else (except Miami/South Florida haha).

Old 06-10-2016, 07:48 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
The fact that the OP never responded back, and the fact that the OP said he is already so familiar with Chicago (and the way the original post is worded), makes me think he started this thread to indirectly bring up the negatives of Chicago, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: