Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 03:15 AM

719 posts, read 1,059,673 times

Advertisements

I am going with my brother next week for 3 days. I think our hotel is relatively close to Wrigley Field .What are some must see attractions and where should we eat? From what I know the big 3 in Chicago are deep dish pizza (is the thin crust pizza good too?), hotdogs and Italian beef sandwiches. We are going to a Cubs game. What's the specialty of the ballpark?

Last edited by senecaman; 06-09-2016 at 04:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 09:46 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
I can't tell you where to eat. Cuz I eat at low-property tax neighborhoods, not expensive places like Wrigleyville or downtown.

But for attractions should depend on your interests.

If you're into parks/scenery, we can give you a list of parks.

If you're into museums, we can give you a list of museums.

If you're into beaches, we can give you a list of beaches.

Etc.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:58 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
I am going with my brother next week for 3 days. I think our hotel is relatively close to Wrigley Field .What are some must see attractions and where should we eat? From what I know the big 3 in Chicago are deep dish pizza (is the thin crust pizza good too?), hotdogs and Italian beef sandwiches. We are going to a Cubs game. What's the specialty of the ballpark?
2 birds 1 stone with a hot dog AT Wrigley Field

I personally prefer Lou's Lou Malnati's, the Best Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Restaurant but there's also:
Pequods Pizza | Crispy cheese crust or bust!
Ginos East | Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
https://giordanos.com/locations/linc...-HyxoCMRjw_wcB

I'm not huge on Italian Beef, so I can't really recommend anywhere.

General Touristy Things:
Wrigleyville (at night if you're both 21+)
Navy Pier
Downtown Architecture tour
River Architecture tour
River walk
Sears Tower Skydeck
Millennium Park
Grant Park/Buckingham Fountain
Field Museum
Shedd Aquarium
Art Institute
Lucas Museum of Narrative Art
The Second City Comedy Club
Museum of Science and Industry (south side)
University of Chicago (south side)
Michigan Ave
State St
Lincoln Park & Lake Front park/path. There's a free zoo in Lincoln Park as well.

Lots of cool neighborhoods too! Since you're staying in Wrigleyville you should explore! Also lots of shows throughout the city. Also lots of breweries if you're into that sort of stuff...and lots of bars.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Carson's for ribs, https://www.ribs.com/ Chicago Chop House, http://chicagochophouse.com/ great steaks.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:21 PM

Thanks a lot! Now I have some places to look up .Tell me this .My brother likes thin crust(New York)pizza . We were both born in NYC .I grew up mostly in South Carolina but we visit family in NY. Are there many places in Chicago that have thin crust pizza? As for me I am really looking forward to trying deep dish pizza for the first time. I have heard about Pizza Uno but that's about it. Really looking forward to seeing the city and what the neighborhoods are like compared to our old neighborhood in NY. Our family is from Queens.It was very much an Irish/Italian neighborhood.

Last edited by senecaman; 06-09-2016 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 07:37 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot! Now I have some places to look up .Tell me this .My brother likes thin crust(New York)pizza . We were both born in NYC .I grew up mostly in South Carolina but we visit family in NY. Are there many places in Chicago that have thin crust pizza? As for me I am really looking forward to trying deep dish pizza for the first time. I have heard about Pizza Uno but that's about it. Really looking forward to seeing the city and what the neighborhoods are like compared to our old neighborhood in NY. Our family is from Queens.It was very much an Irish/Italian neighborhood.
Sure, thin crust is actually what most Chicago people eat. Most of the places mentioned also have thin crust, but it's very different from NY. It will be cut in squares and will have a cracker crust. The great thing about Chicago is that every enclave and suburb has a great pizza place that never makes the tourist lists!

Another downtown pizza place with a good thin crust is Pizano's Pizza and Pasta - The Best Chicago-Style Pizza and Italian Restaurant

Here you go! Chicago Thin Crust video > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94aYUljniPI

**Oh, forgot to mention. Beef sammiches (and hot dogs) are the same deal, so many places make a great Italian beef, but the ones you'll be directed to as a tourist are Portillos and Al's.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 06-09-2016 at 08:07 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Sure, thin crust is actually what most Chicago people eat. Most of the places mentioned also have thin crust, but it's very different from NY. It will be cut in squares and will have a cracker crust. The great thing about Chicago is that every suburb has a great pizza place that never makes the tourist lists!

Another downtown pizza place with a good thin crust is Pizano's Pizza and Pasta - The Best Chicago-Style Pizza and Italian Restaurant

Thanks for all the info and the video! Sounds good to me. I love NY style pizza but living in SC now I have gotten used to trying different styles of pizza .

Last edited by senecaman; 06-09-2016 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 12:08 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
If you're in Wicker Park try Piece. Not exactly NY style but close, plus they brew some great beers.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:18 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post

General Touristy Things:
Wrigleyville (at night if you're both 21+)
Navy Pier
Downtown Architecture tour
River Architecture tour
River walk
Sears Tower Skydeck
Millennium Park
Grant Park/Buckingham Fountain
Field Museum
Shedd Aquarium
Art Institute
Lucas Museum of Narrative Art
The Second City Comedy Club
Museum of Science and Industry (south side)
University of Chicago (south side)
Michigan Ave
State St
Lincoln Park & Lake Front park/path. There's a free zoo in Lincoln Park as well.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:20 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
^ Damn, I didn't even catch that.

Anyways, I'm on their newsletter, FOTP is not dropping the lawsuit, contrary to what the news says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago